how do youput a truss rod into a one piece neck?

jrew

• Members

There are two ways to put a truss rod in a neck. First option is to route a slot for the rod, and covering that up with a fingerboard.

The second option is to route a slot from the back of the neck, i.e. the skunk stripe.

Interesting to note that in these cases, the neck is made up of 2 parts, therefore there is no such thing as a one piece neck with a truss rod.

The depth of the route varies. I would check out the instillation instructions that came with the rod, but a good rule of thumb for installing a truss rod in a neck with a seperate fingerboard is to have the truss rod sit pretty even with the gluing surface of the fingerboard, though I usually try for about 1/8 of an inch deeper.

• Members

For a "one piece" neck, you rout the truss rod slot from the back. The usual recommendation for the amount of wood to leave on the fretboard side is 1/4"; I wouldn't go any less than 3/16".

If you're using a traditional truss rod, the slot has to be curved, with the ends of the rod closer to the fretboard. I can't remember the amount of the curve off the top of my head. If you use a dual-action truss rod, then they usually can sit in a straight slot.

With the truss rod in place, you glue in a filler strip (often done in a different color wood ala "skunk stripe") to hold the truss rod. Then when you profile the back of the neck the filler strip will be cut flush with the rest of the wood.

If you're serious about getting into building and don't already have it, I recommend Melvyn Hiscock's book. Great resource.

• 15 years later...
  • Moderators
On 1/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, Rmann said:

A buddy of mine has a real one piece neck on a g&l, no fretboard, no skunk stripe, not even a scarf joint.  How did they install that rod?

pics, especially of the back of the neck, might help...:wave:

G&L used to have a page on their website about their necks, but it is no longer available.

To my knowledge, there is no way to install a truss rod in a 'one piece' neck without cutting the back slot. It may be that G&L matched the wood of the neck perfectly:idk:

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Why are you certain there is no separate fretboard or no stripe?

I did find the G&L page on their 'Bi-cut' method, but the neck is still two pieces, and no mention of a fretboard.

https://glguitars.com/non-compression-truss-rod/

Short of boring a hole the length of the neck from the 'heel', I don't see another way to do this, and to keep a drill that length from 'wandering' is a engineering feat I would be interested in watching.