I just reported a site for pirating my music, and it worked (sorta)

niceguy

• Members

Inspired by the thread where a guy's music was being pirated, I decided to contact a site which had my music for illegal download.

I bluffed and told the site owner I'd contacted the RIAA and that he must remove my work immediately.

Well, the guy got back to me instantly, and he was being very aggressive, saying he'll do whatever he damn well pleases. I didn't reply, but instead I went to the RIAA's website, where lo and behold, they have a nice little form where you can report sites which offer pirated music. So I reported his site and included the guy's email address.

As I was doing this, the site owner kept sending me messages (even though I never replied to him), and it was clear to me that he was scared. He started off telling me he'll do whatever he wants, then he started saying that the songs aren't hosted on his site anyway, and finally he said he's removing my songs from his site. I never replied at all.

It's a very minor victory, but it feels good. I put a LOT of time, energy, and money into writing and releasing my music, so it's nice to ruin the day of at least one asshole who thinks that I should work for free :thu:

• Members

Actual Question:

Do you feel that this site was cutting into your sales? If so, how significantly?

Yes, they were cutting into my sales. There's no way to know how much, but even a little is too much.

And the whole "free downloads are great promotion" argument is COMPLETE BULL{censored}. Everyone is sucking Apple's dick, yet no one scoffs and says "Apple should give away iPads for free! It's GREAT PROMOTION!"

• Members

Doesn't matter how much these a-holes were cutting into Niceguy's sales. They're lowlife thieves and they have to be stopped.
:cop:

This^^^^+1

Nice work Johnny-boy.....vigilance is the key.

And that brings the idea that the folks that do this have some sort of bizzarre agenda that doesn't make sense. The fact that he was a dick in the emails, and had the (Cartman voice) "Ill do what I wawnt." attitude proves it.

IMHO, they either think they are being cool, or subscribe to the "{censored} the music biz. This doesn't hurt musicians, it gives them freedom." school. I can't see any other reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This.

Yes, they were cutting into my sales. There's no way to know how much, but even a little is too much.

And the whole "free downloads are great promotion" argument is COMPLETE BULL{censored}. Everyone is sucking Apple's dick, yet no one scoffs and says "Apple should give away iPads for free! It's GREAT PROMOTION!"

• Members

I think the "actual question" intro put people off. What you intend, and how it comes across without context, are two different things.

In any event, I agree with the general sentiment here that if the guy's pirating music, he should be shut down. The whole point of copyright is to allow people who create content to have say over how it's distributed...just like, say, how General Motors gets to choose who sells their cars.

Archived