Guitar for 12 year old son

TCEDDIA

• Members

I'm looking for advice on a new guitar for my son's 12th birthday. Currently he plays trumpet in the school band but wants to learn guitar because I play bass. We're looking to spend $400-500 max (he can use one of my bass amps for the time being). For what it's worth, he likes the strat body shape but that is probably his only opinion about guitars in general (except color of course).

• Members

If he likes Strats you can't go wrong with a MIM Strat.

Originally posted by TCEDDIA

I'm looking for advice on a new guitar for my son's 12th birthday. Currently he plays trumpet in the school band but wants to learn guitar because I play bass. We're looking to spend $400-500 max (he can use one of my bass amps for the time being). For what it's worth, he the looks of strats but that is probably his only opinion about guitars in general (except color of course).

• Members

A very good guitar in that price range would be a Schecter C-1 series (i.e. like a C-1 Claasic, C-1 Plus, etc.).

I have a C-1 plus and it is a very high quality guitar! This was also my first electric when I started lessons 7 months ago and i still play it!

• Members

an mim fat strat that meets your quality approval (since you said you play bass i assume you will be giving it a check up before you buy it) should meet most of his needs. block the trem/add springs for stability if you like. i've also seen ads for "drop in" bridge replacements to make a strat a hardtail, but i heard anything objective or tried them.

the good thing about an mim is it is fairly inexpensive, holds a moderate value, is easily sold and is upgradable. also, imo, it is a guitar of high enough quality that your son may keep it even after he has improved as a player.

• Members

MIM Strats are hard to beat. They're cheap, easily upgradeable, and many of them are just as good as MIA Strats.

I bought my MIM new in 1993 and I doubt if I'll ever get rid of it.
Play a bunch of them and you'll find a few that stand out above the rest.

• Members

Great advice.

His tastes are pretty much like mine (see signature). He's pretty much set on an electric. An inexpensive MIM may be the way to go. I think he would like that his guitar is the same make as my P-bass.

Thanks to all who answered.

• Members

Is the quality good or will it be a guitar that he will want to trade in in a few years? (One of my guitarists has a MIM strat that always goes out of tune once a string breaks. )

That may be because his trem is floating.

A flush or blocked trem is very stable.

For $500 you can find a used G&L Legacy (made in California!). These are fine, professional quality guitars...he won't outgrow it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7320553665

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47069&item=7316882927

Higher-end MIJ/CIJ Strats are great, too.

Instead of an MIM Standard, I'd be more inclined to a Classic Series 50's, 60's, or 70's.

Used Protone Strats ('96-'98 MIK Squiers) are excellent guitars and terrific bargains to boot: You can snag them for about $200 in excellent condition. Then, if you don't like the (perfectly good) stock alnico pups, spend another $100 on some VintageVibeGuitars Strat-sized P-90s, and you'll have yourself a monster player. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7314595947

Guest Anonymous

Ibanez SZ520 -- $494:

p25379h.jpg

SZ320 -- $424, $500 with a generic case:

p30690h.jpg

The sz series has a 25.1" scale, medium-sized set neck, feels great, plays great.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

For $500 you can find a used G&L Legacy (made in California!). These are fine, professional quality guitars...he won't outgrow it.

Exactly.

This is where I would be looking. Very high quality guitars, nothing he'll outgrow.

• Members

Sounds like I have many good options. I admit that I am concerned about the sketchy quality of the MIM strats (some are great, some are below standard).

Would you buy a MIM without holding it in your hands or would you feel comfortable buying one on ebay/online store?

The G&Ls look beautiful (I may even want one!).

• Members

Sounds like I have many good options. I admit that I am concerned about the sketchy quality of the MIM strats (some are great, some are below standard).

Would you buy a MIM without holding it in your hands or would you feel comfortable buying one on ebay/online store?

I would recommend the following:

MIM Strat (set the trem up flat to the body, shouldn't give serious grief then unless he wants to dive bomb every three seconds....)

Also consider a good Squier.... wouldn't buy sight unseen, but a good Squier Standard Strat can be quite a fantastic guitar for the money - and the smaller cost is a bonus if you're not 101% certain your son will stick with guitar forever...

G&L always a good option....

Also can't go wrong with a MIJ Tokai...

If the HB in the bridge approach is what you want and it doesn't have to be totally traditional Strat-look, I can thoroughly recommend a Yamaha Pacifica 112.

• Members

If you go MIM, the Classic series is significantly better all-around than the Standard, IMHO.

With any new or used guitar, a proper set-up is almost always a very good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm looking for advice on a new guitar for my son's 12th birthday. Currently he plays trumpet in the school band but wants to learn guitar because I play bass. We're looking to spend $400-500 max (he can use one of my bass amps for the time being). For what it's worth, he likes the strat body shape but that is probably his only opinion about guitars in general (except color of course).

What did you get?

• Members

MIM Strat. Currently MF has the gold 50th anniversary model on sale for $599, comes with the commemorative gig bag. To get the $100 off, call them and tell them you saw it in the "Hot Buys" pamphlet, source code # 505T:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511547/

Perhaps the best MIM Strat hands down is the light ash Strat:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511337/

I haven't heard anyone say yet that they're unhappy with it, having purchased it.

~Blackbelt

• Members

If your concerned about quality and he wants a strat look at the Carvin bolts.
You can buy the hardtail kit for 350 dollars plus shipping.
Might make a nice father and son project.
I think a new finished bolt will run around 500 or so.

Archived