to be on the billboard charts must one release a physical single?

samal50

• Members

you know those singles that sell for $1.99 to $3.99? Must an artist or band release those to be on the Billboard charts? I don't know if there's still a "singles" section in the stores, but I think 10 years ago it was really just a small section.

Isn't releasing singles usually the determining factor if the upcoming full length is going to do well? If the single tops the charts because it was a good song, people might pick up the full length, right? It takes about 1 or so month before the full length gets released correct? I ask this because sometimes new artist or bands that no one ever heard of releases a debut and it goes to #1 and I'm wondering, how? I guess the single had been on rotation on the radio and videos, correct?

Is there profit in releasing a single? I would think no because it's so cheap plus it's really almost just a sample of what's to come? It's almost a freebie, you know, like a compilation?

• Members

Physical singles don't really exist anymore. The "Hot 100" singles chart has traditionally been based on a combination of record sales and radio airplay. Now it's more about a combination between digital downloads, radio airplay and streaming media.

Not only is there not a singles section in the stores anymore, there's not even really any music stores anymore, are there? And the CD sections in places like Best Buy seem to get smaller and smaller everytime I go in.

• Moderators

keep in mind also that the single, in order to be correctly reported, needs to have its own unique UPC code for tracking purposes, and needs to be registered as a single with Soundscan...but without adequate marketing, none of this will get your song on the chart.

Archived