Some updated thoughts on the music biz gurus

richardmac

• Moderators

'was' being the operant term...

Britney has a song in the Top 40 right now... heavily auto-tuned and not a memorable song, but it's on the chart...

Which brings me to the topic of the music charts... I listened to much of the Top 40 yesterday and can't remember a single one of the songs right now. No sticking power... but it's no different than if you look back at an archive of the Top 40 from 1963. Will you remember the majority of the tunes from the old chart?

The more things change; the more they stay the same.

-Jack

• Members

If you were to send me a web address where I could hear one of these guys who is "just as good as Steve Earle," I'd be willing to bet money ahead of time that I would not agree. I'd probably also tell you that I don't think they're brilliant. If they are, I want to hear them because I'm always interested in hearing a great artist.

You just hear greatness out here everynight. I'm not going to waste my time trying to find websites and remember names. It's all subjective but this ain't FL bro. I grew up in FL remember. If you want to be blow away make a trip here and I'll show you around.

• Members

Britney has a song in the Top 40 right now... heavily auto-tuned and not a memorable song, but it's on the chart...

Which brings me to the topic of the music charts... I listened to much of the Top 40 yesterday and can't remember a single one of the songs right now. No sticking power... but it's no different than if you look back at an archive of the Top 40 from 1963. Will you remember the majority of the tunes from the old chart?

The more things change; the more they stay the same.

-Jack

The top 40 is more of a joke than it's ever been. If you think alot of people are listening to that beat infused nonsense, you're quite wrong. Radio and sales are but a very very minute amount and ony 2 small ways people are consuming music. Top 40 radio charts today are meaningless in terms of popularity.

• Members

...the basis of a good song. Fleet Foxes have some 'good' songs, but nothing great. Poison the Well had some 'good' songs, which I enjoyed in high school, but nothing 'great' -- simply no sticking power. .

I have been sticking with that Fleet Foxes' New Album - that song Helplessness Blues is very, very strong.

What makes it special is that what he is singing about is a very new and poignant concept - he's tackling head on what this helicopter-parented generation is going though. People that grow up being treated special are plagued with feelings of helplessness, and can't settle on a direction. That's how you turn out when you grow up getting medals for losing and having someone change your diaper till your 20. Everybody knows this is what's happening - I think he's the first one to sing about it in a very appealing way.

Also, a lot of young people are so pathetically earnest in the direct way they express their self obsession - here is the Fleet Foxes dude running right up the middle with it: I'm So Confused!!!! I thought I was Special, damnit!!! As transparent and annoyingly revealing as a Facebook update. It's as on-point about what's going on as that dark sense of irony and angst Nirvana tapped into with Teen Spirit. Like how Eddie Cochran don't feel like working so he can't shake those Summer Time Blues struck a chord with the first generation of pre-20s adults in history that had some cash in their pockets and too much time to kill.

And the song is made to be sung along too!!!! Fleet Foxes has it going on! He clearly knows his song history and he's Bringing it All Back Home with something made for the radio right now. I'm thrilled to discover this work. It's a thrilling pop song.

• Members

I have been sticking with that Fleet Foxes' New Album - that song Helplessness Blues is very, very strong.

What makes it special is that what he is singing about is a very new and poignant concept - he's tackling head on what this helicopter-parented generation is going though. People that grow up being treated special are plagued with feelings of helplessness, and can't settle on a direction. That's how you turn out when you grow up getting medals for losing and having someone change your diaper till your 20. Everybody knows this is what's happening - I think he's the first one to sing about it in a very appealing way.

Also, a lot of young people are so pathetically earnest in the direct way they express their self obsession - here is the Fleet Foxes dude running right up the middle with it: I'm So Confused!!!! I thought I was Special, damnit!!! As transparent and annoyingly revealing as a Facebook update. It's as on-point about what's going on as that dark sense of irony and angst Nirvana tapped into with Teen Spirit. Like how Eddie Cochran don't feel like working so he can't shake those Summer Time Blues struck a chord with the first generation of pre-20s adults in history that had some cash in their pockets and too much time to kill.

And the song is made to be sung along too!!!! Fleet Foxes has it going on! He clearly knows his song history and he's Bringing it All Back Home with something made for the radio right now. I'm thrilled to discover this work. It's a thrilling pop song.

OMG I just went on Spotify to listen to Fleet Foxes...Horrendous!!! I can't believe anyone could think they are good or he is good..Maybe we just have different Taste...:love:

• Members

You just hear greatness out here everynight. I'm not going to waste my time trying to find websites and remember names. It's all subjective but this ain't FL bro. I grew up in FL remember. If you want to be blow away make a trip here and I'll show you around.

I'd love to make a trip up there - it would be a blast. But unless I can actually hear one of these great acts, it's just an opinion backed up by no evidence. There's no doubt in my mind that the talent level in Nashville is superior to the talent level in Tampa. I just don't like generalizations that can't be backed up. Sort of like if I said "The hottest women are here in Tampa, they're hotter than anywhere else" and someone said "Really? Then post a picture" and I say "Oh, I'm not going to do that."

• Members

I'd love to make a trip up there - it would be a blast. But unless I can actually hear one of these great acts, it's just an opinion backed up by no evidence. There's no doubt in my mind that the talent level in Nashville is superior to the talent level in Tampa. I just don't like generalizations that can't be backed up. Sort of like if I said "The hottest women are here in Tampa, they're hotter than anywhere else" and someone said "Really? Then post a picture" and I say "Oh, I'm not going to do that."

Here are some representations of the talent here in just people I know:

Dave Pahanish is great: Lots of people cutting his tunes but his personal ones are best : http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dave-pahanish/id389865173

Hugh Mitchell

Don Pedigo -My neighbor and co-writer who has a very lyrical bent in his music.

Jonathan Singleton- This guy has more hits than you can shake a stick at and he's my current favorite songwriter in Nashville..KILLER all the way around. Google him. These are just a few that I know but there are countless others..If I took you to 3rd and Lindsley on a Monday you would see the deal really fast just like all my other friends and my best friend from LA all did..Seriously man..It's the real deal here.

Oh yea...Here's my latest commercial demo stuff..Not genius but stuff we are trying to have cut so it can't be that good!!

Everything's Better On Friday

Best I Can

:)

• Members

I'd love to make a trip up there - it would be a blast. But unless I can actually hear one of these great acts, it's just an opinion backed up by no evidence.

Seriously....he ain't kiddin'. Back 10 years ago when I was doin the do up there, you'd go out to see songwriter x, and they'd play their cut on the last so and so record, and the song that didn't make it onto any record were 500 times better than the cuts. But you'll never get to hear those. And the singer songwriters in town that were just writing KILLER songs, with not much commercial country potential, were EVERYWHERE playing EVERYNIGHT and hustling every day trying to sell a cut to anyone who'd buy it. But of course, not getting {censored}.....

As an example, Todd Snider couldn't BUY a cut here in town. I think he got a couple cuts in 10 years busting ass up here. Playing out every night, networking, pitching, getting coffee, going fishing with douchebag producers, the whole shebang. Steve Earle and John Prine have both exalted this guy as the {censored}. He's an example...check him out if you are not familiar. Here's one of my fav's.

[video=youtube;70STrTiXN7E]

"Here goes the captain of the team." is when he jumps. Amazing. And guys like this are everywhere around here, you just haven't heard of them.

And as far as guitarists go, the guy delivering your pizza can play like Brent Mason AND Steve Vai simultaneously on Giant Steps at 300bpm.....it is just stupid around here.......when you do finally get a decent gig, you are just so thankful.....with a healthy dose of cynicism......

• Members

"Here goes the captain of the team." is when he jumps. Amazing. And guys like this are everywhere around here, you just haven't heard of them.

And as far as guitarists go, the guy delivering your pizza can play like Brent Mason AND Steve Vai simultaneously on Giant Steps at 300bpm.....it is just stupid around here.......when you do finally get a decent gig, you are just so thankful.....with a healthy dose of cynicism......

Thanks man! I really think you have come here to get it, but when they do come...THEY GET IT REAL QUICK!!!

• Members

Thank you for posting those links.

Very talented people, writing very good songs, for sure. Far, far better than the talent level here in Tampa.

And to me, it proved my point. I didn't bookmark any of it, I didn't like any of it as much as the artists I listen to, and none of it had me running for my wallet. What does that mean? It means that different artists connect with different people. I like Steve Earle and I don't like John Prine. Everyone tells me I'm supposed to love John Prine, but I don't. Every time I listen to him sing a song, I turn it off. Why? Because music is sooooo individual. Were any of those guys you linked to as good as Steve Earle TO ME? No, definitely not. If I were exposed to their music for long periods of time, would I eventually get to the point where I liked them just as much as Steve? Maybe. But that's not going to happen.

The world (and especially Nashville) has no shortage of great songwriters and great songs.

So I say again what I said before - There are a ton of great songs. Maybe a brilliant song is really just a great song that connected with the listener calling it brilliant. In which case, writing a great song doesn't mean much, unless you can get it heard by people who will have an emotional attachment to it.

As a songwriter, I can listen to the artists you linked to and say, "Man, these guys are writing at a much higher level than I am." As a listener, I'd say that a song and an artist has to be brilliant (to me) or I'm not interested. Any one of those guys could write a song and get it on the next Lyle Lovett album and I'd be singing their song along with Lyle in my car. And Lyle's not as good a singer as the guys you linked to.

What does it all mean? I don't know.

• Members

I agree and what I think is brilliant changes daily based on my mood. I know there is a level and within that level you can find brilliant tunes and there is an abundance of that level here. Steve Earle is one of my favorite classic artists of his genre and he only has a handful of "brilliant tunes" as well. He has many very good and even great songs though. It's the same with anyone of that level...Springsteen, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, etc..It's subjective, sure but there is a level that these writers are at and i'm here to tell you, there are thousands who are just as good just in this city alone. Imagine how many are all over the world!!!! Crazy, eh?

• Members

Yes, and I think this is a very important point - I think the only way to have a shot is to get good enough to fit in with the thousands of others who write great songs. Getting to that level is very difficult. Once you've got there, take a number and join the massively huge club.

But that should not prevent anyone from writing songs. It just means the picture for making a lot of money at it is bleak and you're going to need a lot of luck even if you are a great writer. Everyone who writes ought to enjoy writing songs, because if you don't love doing it, you're investing your time into something that is a very long shot.

Of course, we already knew that.

• Members

Dave Pahanish is great: Lots of people cutting his tunes but his personal ones are best :
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dave-pahanish/id389865173

Hugh Mitchell

Don Pedigo
-My neighbor and co-writer who has a very lyrical bent in his music.

Jonathan Singleton
- This guy has more hits than you can shake a stick at and he's my current favorite songwriter in Nashville..KILLER all the way around. Google him. These are just a few that I know but there are countless others..If I took you to 3rd and Lindsley on a Monday you would see the deal really fast just like all my other friends and my best friend from LA all did..Seriously man..It's the real deal here.

Oh yea...Here's my latest commercial demo stuff..Not genius but stuff we are trying to have cut so it can't be that good!!

Everything's Better On Friday

Best I Can

:)

you have got to be joking man.

• Members

Actually in Australia there's a guy on the charts - local lad who has just managed to push Adele from 14 weeks straight at number one (he vocally reminds me a bit of Sting) but the man writes some seriously quality pop with an indy twist in my humble opinion.

The song in question is this ........

8UVNT4wvIGY

here's another one of his singles

rvbSiQZfACQ&ob=av3n

And live version of the above track "Hearts a Mess" - pretty good live act to. zLnaW0oYQas

He's had a massive number of weekly CD sales for Australia (close too 40,000 Units) which is quite amazing and against the odds in the digital download age.

Gives me a bit of hope that a quality artist can still have a modicum of success these days and all the best too him I say.

And yes he's landed both No.1 single and No.1 Album - same week.

Archived