Why I love Long Island garage sales...

• Members

Any of you guys or gals ever get a mint condition AKG Solidtube for 200 bucks? Didn't think so. I'm a one of a kind guy, though. What's even better is that it had a 300 dollar price tag on it.

Apparently the son of the family had a 3 month interest in recording and then sold all of his gear to "kit out" his car instead (Long Island has a bad case of "The Fast And The Furious" syndrome). He didn't sell the Solidtube, though. Well, this year he went to college and his mother found the mic and put it on the "we have no idea what to do with this junk" table next to his Speak and Spell and Skip-It.

I don't even really have a use for it. It was just impossible to pass up on at that kind of price. I've been having a more-the-merrier attitude with mics, I guess. More colors in the box of crayons.

I'll be glowing (and gloating) about this for a while, that's for sure. Thanks again, spoiled kid! Hope your Honda hatchback is working out!

• Moderators

Garage sales rule...

Today I scored a MXR Micro-Flanger and Noise Gate Line Driver, in the box, for fifty cents each.

Last summer I got a brand new Oktava 219 and a Conn Strobotuner for $25.

I got 8-10" 60's vintage Jensen speakers, all like new for $5 a month or so ago.

A NAD CD player for $5.

A Korg CX3 synth for $100.

70's Electro-Harmonix Small Stone, $5.

The list goes on and on...

MG

• Members

Yeah I got a couple more items for the studio, too. For instance, I snagged a perfectly good minifridge for 40 bucks (and spent almost double that filling it with fine imported dark beers. dear god, yes.) that now sits in the lounge/foosball area, and I got the lady to throw in a cup of lemonade that her daughter was selling nearby.

I know how to find a bargain. I've just got a nose for this stuff.

• Members

Dude. I'm going to go on a killing rampage or something.

Every f'n garage sale here OVERPRICES stuff... and you almost NEVER find a deal... and if there is any kind of musical gear whatsoever, they hype it up so much. They make a Squier Affinity model sound like a vintage 70s Fender Strat.

It's pretty insane. 50 cents for two MXR effects pedals. That's just ridiculous.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Fifty cents Mark?
:eek::cool:
Looks like I need to have the wife hit some more garage sales... heavens knows I don't have the time to do it.
;)

Yup, that was a decent score.

It's a numbers game - if I counted up all the baby clothes, unused exercise gear and broken dishes...

I've been super busy lately, but my usual plan of action is to look in the paper the night before, print out a list of promising sales and get out Friday AM, right at 9:00.

Usually spend about half a day every week and I can usually get a trunkful of cool stuff. Every 3-4 times out, you can expect a bigger score, but you must be didligent.

My wife loves hand-thrown pottery, and we both find tons of books and great clothes. It's good for CD's, too. And tools and household items. And so on...

I love it, it's like Christmas every Friday, except it only costs $20 or so!

MG

• Members

While yes the $200 for the solidtube is a good deal, I personally wouldn't take the gift of one. I auditioned one a few years back, and sent it back, as IMHO it is very unimpressive. I've tried in vain several times in other studios to use them, and always ended up using something else. It just has this blah sound IMHO. However I'm quite happy for you and your find, enjoy.

• Members

I think the LP for 75 bucks takes the cake! i think i would of {censored} in my pants, and then wet myself.

Personally, my best garage sale find was a mint condition Yamaha original version DJX keybord/synth for 10 bucks. I priced a couple of used ones on weebay for between 90 and 160 depending on condition. Im still waitin to find a '57 strat at next years garage sale season.

Best Regards, Rich.

Archived