Anyone playing a newer Gretsch guitar

Mikeo

• Members

Like a 6120, TN Rose , or a Duo Jet

Fender is making so many different models and the prices are very steep fo jap made guitar. Are there USA made models?

I like the feel of the necks and the vibe of their guitars.

Are they worth the $$$, I'll assume the resale value is pretty bad

• Members

I have a new Electromatic Hollow Body, picked it up for $549 w/gig bag from warpdrivemusic.com. I love it! I've always been a Strat player but this has become my "go to" guitar. I added a new HSC from warpdrive for $75 a few weeks later.

Some Gretsch's are built in the USA but you're generally looking at well over 5 grand for one of those.

~Blackbelt

• Members

I'm looking into getting a DuoJet in the next few weeks. I've got a line on one for $1000.00 with case. I'm sorry, but the DuoJet is the only one I've really spent time with. I really like it and I hope I can put the money together soon.
Best of luck with them though. The different models can get to be a bit much. The one I'm looking at is a Duo Jet with an Ebony board with the thumbnail inlays and a bigsby. I think it's a 6128. I like it better than the DJ with the rosewood board. That's just me though. I like the humbuckers better too. Again, just my taste.
The floating bridge is my only worry with it. Intonation problems etc. etc.
Hugh

• Members

Originally posted by Rick 381

Before you assume the resale is bad maybe you should check the used prices. I doubt you'll find a used one for less than a couple of hundred below a new one.

Nah they drop like rocks in resale. You buy a $2700 Setzer Hot Rod and get around $1500 resale.

• Members

I have a 6120 1960 reissue--although it has the wrong style Bigsby for a 1960. I paid $1900; in my opinion, it's really worth about 1500. The Nashville Jr. is a better deal (they do go for about $1500). The Setzer's are waaaaay overpriced. Is trestle bracing really that big of a deal? Gimme a break.

My 6120 a great sounding guitar, but the setup work on mine was poor. Now that I have it all straightened out, I must admit that it is pure fun to play--totally addictive like no other guitar in my collection.

I'm going to Wildwood later this week to buy an Elliot Easton (a good one, not the cheap Electromatic version). Steve and Bruce are both going over it with a fine toothed comb, so I don't run into the same issues I had with my 6120. Gretsches are kind of complicated, and it isn't until you play them for a few days that you notice all of the issues--especially the models with Bigsby's.

g1.jpg
g2.jpg

• Members

Personally I've owned a Gretch White Falcon that I paid 2,500 for new in 1993 and an Agile Cool Cat Pretige.
Flame me all you want but the Agile was the superior guitar. Better sounding pickups. The roller bridge didn't rattle. Better acoustic tone. Better fretwork.
Better inlays. Sounded better. Played better. Stayed in tune better.

I know they don't make a white one but they do make a natural flame one and also
a flame with orange one like a Nashville.
Buy this guitar instead if you are gassing for a Gretsch. No question.

I have sort of been gassing for a Gretsch Elliot easton model because it has a lot of features I like. I'll wait till they start showing up used for 700 or 800 bucks though...

• Members

ordering my white falcon on tuesday, almost every one i've played has been top notch everything. you really do get a soun d out of it that you can't get out of any other guitar unless heavily modified.

the thing wtih gretsch is that you can find new ones about 1/3 of of the music123 or msucians friend price. warpdrive and such can get you as much as $1000 off of a new falcon.

the falcon i did play i did feel was worthy of the $3000 price tag and since i'm paying much less then that i feel like i'm getting a great deal.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Mikeo

Like a 6120, TN Rose , or a Duo Jet

Fender is making so many different models and the prices are very steep fo jap made guitar. Are there USA made models?

I like the feel of the necks and the vibe of their guitars.

Are they worth the $$$, I'll assume the resale value is pretty bad

Japanese guitars rule. :^D

The two US Gretsches currently available are expensive to the point of being retarded.

• Members

I went to a music store and played a Setzer and, though it is overpriced new, it's probably the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. Personally, I have a cheap Pro Jet Electromatic that I got off of eBay for $220 that suits me fine. That Elliot Easton looks nice though (time to start saving)!!!

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Personally I've owned a Gretch White Falcon that I paid 2,500 for new in 1993 and an Agile Cool Cat Pretige.

Flame me all you want but the Agile was the superior guitar.

I don't doubt that your 1993 Gretsch was inferior. Gretschs from the Baldwin and later the pre-FMIC era draw mixed reviews from those who own them, but I think Fender has really stepped up to the plate and is building some beautiful guitars. Have you compared your Agile with a new Gretsch?

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

There is an Easton on ebay for $1699. I wouldn't mind it but its BLACK. Still beats $2400 I guess....if u can find one.

Black? They have green and red, but not black. I could be wrong.

Wildwood sells them new for $1900.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Nah they drop like rocks in resale. You buy a $2700 Setzer Hot Rod and get around $1500 resale.

I'd like to see one for $1500.

You pointed out a used Easton for $1699 on eBay. Doc Jeff pointed out Wildwood sells them new for $1900. Makes my point that you don't lose much on a Gretsch.

My Gretsch sold for a couple of hundred new. I brought it 2 years ago for $1500. Current value is between $3500-4000.

I like Gretsches. Better than owning Microsoft stock.

• Members

Originally posted by The Eristic

Japanese guitars rule. :^D

The two US Gretsches currently available are expensive to the point of being retarded.

However the point should be made that the handfull of USA made Gretsches that exist were handmade in Fenders Custom Shop. Considering some of the crazy prices for Custom Shop Strats(check out SRV#1) the Gretsches are not all that bad(in comparison). Also, Fender has thousands of Strat parts laying around and all the tooling to make more. All the Gretsch parts had to be hand fabricated.

Also, Fender has(or at least had) no plans to build Gretsches in the Custom Shop on a regular basis. They really never set-up to do any sort of large number of guitars. According to Mike Lewis(head of Gretsch for FMIC) it was just an experiment to see if they could do Gretsches in the Custom Shop. Last I heard there were no plans for future production, although nothing was being ruled out. After all, if you got the money honey, they've got the time.

• Members

Originally posted by Rick 381

I'd like to see one for $1500.

You pointed out a used Easton for $1699 on eBay. Doc Jeff pointed out Wildwood sells them new for $1900. Makes my point that you don't lose much on a Gretsch.

My Gretsch sold for a couple of hundred new. I brought it 2 years ago for $1500. Current value is between $3500-4000.

I like Gretsches. Better than owning Microsoft stock.

You've gotta be kidding me. I don't know where you got your rose colored glasses but resale is typically horrible.

How about $999?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7350050996

And the rest...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7351808955

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7347878424

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7349620875

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7346833887

The only reason the Easton hasn't hit $1200 as its relatively new. And that $1699 one's been on there a few times and never sold due to being overpriced.

• Members
  • Members

I've had my new SilverJet for about four months now... And I am still absolutely blown away. It is the best guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned many guitars. It absolutely slays. There is no way you'll be dissapointed by what you americans like to think of as inferior Japanese quality. Often they don't feel too hot in the store because they're put together with 9s which make 'em rattle... When you take one home, you can set it up nice and trust me you'll never go back :cool:

Archived