How to Scallop Frets

Lucius

• Members

various different sized dowels with fine grit sandpaper stapled around them. Work slowly and evenly. Higher frets are very easy. If you want the guitar to still be functional I would reccomend scalloping from 12-2? at the most. Scalloped frets in the chording regionsusually renders an instrument unusable because chords are so easily bent out of tune.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

If you want the guitar to still be functional I would reccomend scalloping from 12-2? at the most. Scalloped frets in the chording regionsusually renders an instrument unusable because chords are so easily bent out of tune.

I totally disagree with this statement. I have my guitar fully scalloped and I play extended jazz chords on it with no problems. I wouldn't put anything less than 10's on it mind you.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I totally disagree with this statement. I have my guitar fully scalloped and I play extended jazz chords on it with no problems. I wouldn't put anything less than 10's on it mind you.

So I hear that playing scolloped frets you must play with a lighter hand (does that make sense). Cheers lucius

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

So I hear that playing scolloped frets you must play with a lighter hand (does that make sense). Cheers lucius

Yes to a degree, but I find with 10's or more (I prefer 11's for tone) I can play as I usually do without a hitch....though you can get some cool vibrato on certain chord tones by varying pressure on the corresonding finger.

• Members
Originally posted by robt57

You'll only get a few thousand instances...
:)

Or, here is a thought. I could post here and get an answer in minutes without having to sift through thousands of useless posts. Hey thats a good idea. Thanks anyways though ;)

• Members

Or, here is a thought. I could post here and get an answer in minutes without having to sift through thousands of useless posts. Hey thats a good idea. Thanks anyways though
;)

True, but the replies would be limited to the users online at one given time. The search would show a lot more info, and links etc. I only mention it due to being in the same position when I decided to do mine last year.

Good luck, and I love mine...

• Members

Have you ever seen or played a scalloped neck? If the answer is no, I suspect the next time we see you posting about scalloping a neck, you will be posting "how not to scallop".
Do some serious research first. It is a process that is extremely easy to screw up. Then again if you hot to trash your Behringer, scallop away!

• Members

Originally posted by GTM

Have you ever seen or played a scalloped neck? If the answer is no, I suspect the next time we see you posting about scalloping a neck, you will be posting "how not to scallop".

Do some serious research first. It is a process that is extremely easy to screw up. Then again if you hot to trash your Behringer, scallop away!

I don't have the pic myself, but if someone has the pic of the scallop job that went wrong available, now would be a good time to post it!

I like playing scalloped necks...there's another in my future without a doubt...perhaps the neck on my Charvel 1a...hmmmmm.....it's just to bad that I am fairly certain that if I tried it myself I'd be posting my own "scallop0wned" pics...and that would suck.

• Members
Originally posted by Koz

I don't have the pic myself, but if someone has the pic of the scallop job that went wrong available, now would be a good time to post it!

I like playing scalloped necks...there's another in my future without a doubt...perhaps the neck on my Charvel 1a...hmmmmm.....it's just to bad that I am fairly certain that if I tried it myself I'd be posting my own "scallop0wned" pics...and that would suck.

That pic was almost funnier than the person who photoshopped those Hostess cakes in YJM's hand. :o:D

• Members

So I bought this behringer strat copy to {censored} around with. How do I scallop the frets? Should I use a router? Or try to do it by hand? Cheers Lucius

I did my maple board Strat neck a coupla years ago following instructions some guy posted on another web site. Here's the drill: go to Home Depot and buy the 3-pack of double sided files. One side is curved and the other is flat. There are three different widths ranging from (don't have them here to measure) the width of the bottom five frets to the width of the skinny top frets. The middle file works fine in the neighborhood of the 12th fret. Start filing slowly. I went at it so slowly that I did not have to protect the frets with anything other than masking tape. You really don't need to get right up next to the metal anyway. Every so often I would augment the files with some coarse grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil or one of my fingers to smooth things out. The maximum depth I created was approx. 1/8 inch above the side dot fret markers. Deep enough to be able to fret single notes and chords without touching wood. After reaching the shape (inverted semi-circle) and depth I wanted, I sanded with progressively finer paper with the last sanding with some 600 grit cloth. Then I did some acrylic paint fret markers and sealed the deal with several coats of clear coat wood floor epoxy finish, fine sanding after each coat. Thanks to being out in the case all the time and in lots of cigarette smoke, the fretboard has a nice relic'd weathered look to it. String gauges are double edged swords. Skinny strings allow extreme bends and much easier vibrato. I use very heavy guage flatwounds and have no problems with chords or intonation. Even though I prefer flat radii necks, this 9.5" neck is much better with scallops. The total cost was under $25.

Archived