How to Scallop Frets

Lucius

• Members
Originally posted by k4df4l

I'm guessing that you didn't read the other responses to this thread
:p

Whoops, I did read that but I only retained the "I'm new" part of it....smoked a lot of bowls back in the day;) Anyways, that is what I used as a guide when I did mine (though I used various dowels and did the whole thing by hand.

• Members
Originally posted by Code-001

That's a very light scallop job.

Full 1/8" off the fretboard, so my fingers don't get close to the wood. I takes attention and relaxation of the fingers to get the articulation.

How deep is the norm ?

Here is a side shot, I also rolled the edges as well: Took me about 2:15, all by hand with file and then different shape wood with sand paper.

scallop_side-shot.JPG

• Members

yngwie strats are more like the above, maybe a bit deeper. Ill revise my earlier statement to be more positive. Adjusting to a scalloped neck will make you a better player by forcing you to be more accurate, delicate, and articulate. You could improve equally well by constantly using a stylus pick.

• Members

I don't see the point in going any deeper because of a few reasons. One, I don't get even close to the fretboard. Two, I don't like the idea of removing the material which holds the neck straight, the wood. ;)

I did do the lower frets less round. The taper is close to the frets, and pretty flat across the scallop.

Here is a pic of the lower frets:

scallop_side-shot_2.JPG

Cheers

• Members
Originally posted by robt57

I don't see the point in going any deeper because of a few reasons. One, I don't get even close to the fretboard. Two, I don't like the idea of removing the material which holds the neck straight, the wood.
;)

I did do the lower frets less round. The taper is close to the frets, and pretty flat across the scallop.

Cheers

Could you please explain why you did it? I have no experience with scalloped fingerboards and thought the benefit was that you could make weird bendy noises by varying the pressure on the string. I can't see how you could do that (much) with your version so what advantage do you get over a "flat" fingerboard?

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Could you please explain why you did it? I have no experience with scalloped fingerboards and thought the benefit was that you could make weird bendy noises by varying the pressure on the string. I can't see how you could do that (much) with your version so what advantage do you get over a "flat" fingerboard?

I did not do it so I could vary the pitch of the notes by pressing down, your the first one I have heard that from. I did it because I wanted to loose the friction of my finger tips touching the fretboard. I guess I could do what you say if I put a very light guage string on, but I use pretty heavy strings myself.

I'd also say that when riffing fast passes, my finger isn't on a string/fret long enough to press down to vari the tone. I still stretch/slur note by bending accross the fretboard. And it is a bit easier to get a good bite on the string with out your finger touching the fretboard. Easier to get under the string, as it where.

• Members

I built a Warmoth scalloped fingerboard Strat copy back in '93 because I wanted a Fender Yngwie model but didn't like the price or pick-ups, thought why not make one. It never really became a favorite of mine but I still play it now and again. To "cleanse the pallet" from my usual Ibanez RG's.

I also scallop the top four frets of my Ibanez RG's too, like JEM's. It helps me get a better grip up there.

Archived