Please tell me - what would you like to see covered with a Pro Review on this forum?

• Moderators

Phil -

I'd be interested in reading a preface to your reviews outlining how you manage to stay objective despite being an EQ columnist and recieving as much gear as you must. I know how much gear I get, and I'm in nowhere near the position you are.

It must be a fine line between being honest and forthcoming, and yet not pissing off the manufacturers / advertisers.

This is not an accusation or a slam, it's a serious question. I see the effect this dilemma has had on several posters in our old recording forum (not naming names), and in at least a couple of cases it seems to have affected their judgment and tarnished their credibility.

Thanks,

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Phil -

I'd be interested in reading a preface to your reviews outlining how you manage to stay objective despite being an EQ columnist and recieving as much gear as you must.

Here's an interesting post from Phil's old forum (including Phil's insights) pertaining to this question.

Just thought it would be a fun read for all.

Rhino

It must be a fine line between being honest and forthcoming, and yet not pissing off the manufacturers / advertisers.

This is not an accusation or a slam, it's a serious question.

I know. :) It IS a serious question, and I understand where you're coming from. For starters, and frankly, to save my fingers a lot of typing, ;) you should read my previous response in the thread Rhino linked to. :)

I know that many people question the honesty of magazine gear reviews, and it's partially to address that issue that Craig Anderton came up with the concept of "Pro Reviews".

I stand behind the comments I've made in each and every gear review I've ever written, and I also personally know that EQ has never so much as even suggested I tone anything down for any reason whatsoever, but the question does come up from time to time, and yeah, I guess I tend to take it a little personally, but only because I wouldn't do it at all if I couldn't be honest about it.

The thing I think I'm personally gonna dig the most about the Professional Reviews is that EVERYONE gets to be involved. The reviewer directly reports to you, the reader, as the gear review progresses, and you can interact directly with the reviewer... asking questions, making suggestiosn about things you'd like tested, etc. And the manufacturer can participate too... they get the benefit of direct, reviewer and end user opinion and feedback (very valuable to a smart manufacturer...) and we (reviewer and forum members) get a chance to request software updates and bug fixes, provide feedback about what we'd like to see changed, get to bring up issues we have about support or whatever, etc.

Everything's above board, and everyone participates. That takes the question of reviewer honesty right off the table... and I'll personally be happy to see that question put to rest! :D

Additionally, the Pro Reviews, because they're online, lack the editorial space limitations we have to deal with in magazines, so we can be more in depth - allowing us to be more specific with what we liked and disliked, and we can also provide interactive content. Want to see some more pictures or screenshots? Hang on, I'll get a couple more for you... need to hear a few clips of it in action? We can include those too. :) Other owners can chime in and vioce their thoughts and impressions too.

I'm really excited about the concept, and I have a few things just about ready to roll out. I'm looking forward to talking about some gear with all of you. This is gonna be fun! :)

• Members

+1 on the protico, and I didn't even know FMR had a limiting amplifier coming out. I was frantically typing in the web address.

I haven't had the RNC for long but I am liking it. Of course the nicest thing I've owned prior was a 3630....:D

One thing I wanted to add a suggestion of and I don't have a particular manufacturer in mind but some reverb plugin reviews would be great.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

M-audio, project mix! I have the Tascam Fw1884 and the spec's look identical accept it does PT! Also if the control part works for anything else! Then when you're done with the review, it gets raffled off with the "best post in the world" contest!
Later :p

• Members

Originally posted by Barry Jive

How about the Mackie ONYX 400F? I've seen quite a few reviews of the pres, but zero of how it functions as an interface (convertors, etc)

I seriously, seriously just want to TALK to someone who has used it.

And here it is:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1097071

Links to all existing Pro Reviews (By Anderton)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1070486

• Members

don't know if this was mentioned already, if it was i apologize for repeating {censored}. but i think shootout's with clips would be great. if harmony central will pony up the server space and bandwith of course.

they really help people. you know, do 1 with a 57 on a les paul/marshall and just keep changing the pre's. use nice stuff mid range stuff, cheap stuff, small mixers, etc. everything stays the same. hell you could even do it by reamping so its the exact same performance. I know i've been surprised by the difference when comparing this way and im sure others will be too.

and you can expand on them. once you've found which pre people like (poll) you could use that with the same setup and try various mics. jsut an idea. it would take time to do and plenty of space for files.

sorry not really a gear review.

• Members

Budget Ribbon Mics...

Always, reasonably-priced, usable (clean or colorful) preamps (tube, analog, solid state, whatever).

And lets not forget the all-important, most versatile studio tool ever invented (and a subject close to my heart)...

Cowbells.:cool:

• Members

I would like to see the single most asked question on every single forum answered.

It seems there is a daily question about a good mic or preamp for the beginner, the newby, the home studio guy who has a laptop, etc.

I have never seen a definitive review of CHEAP equipment.

A review of say, large diaphragm condenser mics that sell for under $200. Dynamics that sell for under $125, etc. A review of microphone preamps that sell for under $150, etc.

I get calls and emails all the time from beginners and even some long time folks who want my advice on inexpensive, but workable gear.

There is a plethora of microphones now on the market that are "inexpensive" but finding definitive reviews is really tough.

So.. my suggestion would be to answer the most asked question with reviews of gear for the "little guy".

• Members

Originally posted by strathound

Podcasting is really taking off. It's a whole new market for the makers of this gear. What sort of rigs would you suggest, from entry level to professional, from in studio to mobile?

not counting video podcasts, all it is is a long mp3. i realize most people dont have brand new macs, but thats really all you'd need. or just get ilife. or you could use one of the many free audio apps to record, edit, and mix and then import into itunes or something to make an mp3. other than that all you need is somewhere online to put it. for mobile just use a laptop with some sort of usb or firwire interface that fits your needs.

• Members

Phil, Yes Bobby Heil's mics (just leave his ego off the page). I called him to congrat him after I first heard about 'em some months back, and he started carrying on, so I asked him when he was gonna put out some tube mic's and pissed him off royally!
Second, and more serious would be a review/shoot out of a couple different 8 channel 96k converters. I would just love that!!

blas

• Members

I'd like to find out about some of the DIY Preamps such as Seventh Circle and Hamptone. It wasn't but a few years ago that tweed guitar amp clones belonged to only a few and now everyone builds them. P to P tweeds can be had cheap. Preamps would be a lot easier and cheaper.

Archived