Swaping Tubes in Low End Pres

• Members

I know that the ultimate solution to getting a good signal is to buy a high end pre. But, for those of us that either cannot afford a high end pre or have some low end models kicking around...

How much difference, if any, will swaping tubes make? For instance, I have a few ART TPS II at my disposal and I was wondering if swapping tubes would be worth while?

We discussed that topic recently. You might want to check out this thread. Then go ahead and swap out the tube with something better and see what YOU think. :)

Also, remember that different tubes in the 12A family have different gain factors... so replacing a 12AX7 (gain factor of 100) tube with something like a 12AY7 (gain factor of 44) or a 12AT7 (gain factor of 60) will change the gain and distortion characteristics of the device. IMO, you will see a far greater change in a true high plate voltage devices that use the tubes in a traditional manner than you will in a low voltage, starved plate design that uses the "toob" as a "distortion generating device" in an otherwise solid-state preamp circuit (with some of the low end "toob" preamps, you can take the tube completely out of the device and the preamp will still function!), but if you have some different tubes sitting around, try it anyway, and let your own ears be your guide. :)

Archived