Probably asked before, but once again: One hit wonder bands of the 90's: how much $?

BIGD

• Members

Your vertical Horizons or Tonics or whoever..guys who had top 10 hits that are still being played on mainstream radio. What kind of cash are these guys bringing in still? I know it depends on how royalties were split between band members. I ask this because I know of one guy who wrote a pretty big hit that is working a 9-5 job..just wondering if it's because he has to or wants to. Yes, I know, nosey. :)

\

• Members

A hit song in the 90's which was in the in the charts in 96 countries generated about £ 2.5 million of royalties for the songwriter in the year of release. Usually the sales decreased in the following years. Today his ditgital sales of one song generate $0.66 to $0.99 per sold song via iTunes, and slightly different rates from any other online digital shop. The royalty amount depends from where the consumer buys the song, e.g. when bought from the iTune shop in Switzerland, he get $0.99 per sold song which is the maximum, in Germany slightly less etc. etc..

Today the songwriter also earns royalties when his song is downloaded via cell phone from the telecommunication companies' music shops, this is the largest market today. It was the huge back catalogues and the digital sales which saved the record companies from bankruptcy.

• Moderators

Typically the band will not pull down much from airplay unless they own (at least a piece of) the publishing rights. The real money goes there, which is typically (not always) split between the author(s) and the label. Sometimes songwriters sell off their publishing rights for a lump sum of money, so even if they wrote the song, they may have relinquished any potential income from it.

• Members

It is of not much interest stating what a songwriter can do wrong and then get nothing.

It is better to tell young talents what the best conditions are, and what he must insist on when dealing with publisher, record companies and artist manager.

Or to advise the young songwriter that he would be best adviced to show up with an lawyer who specializes in entertainment law !!!!

• Members

Pop and Rock.

Old pop and rock songs are on top of the digital sales lists, meaning some old pop and rock songs sell a lot via download since the invention of digital sales in 2001, e.g. Rock on one record label sales statement Bad Company is on #2 with one song, from same label and rock are greg Lake #6, The Turtles on #27, Beach Boys #35, Jimi Hendrix on #38.

• Moderators

the apparent secret is to market every potential outlet of that one hit, milk it for everything you can...Muzak, ringtones, commercials...

Another thing to consider, although not totally gemane, is that many times what you think is a one-hit wonder, actually isn't. I recently was discusiing this with some friends who said 'Sugar Sugar' by the Archies was a perfect example...until I explained that Ron Dante, the voice of the Archies (including Betty and Veronica), had also hit earlier with the 'Leader of the Laundromat' parody (under a different band name-the Detergents) and also had 'Tracy' in the Top Ten at the same time as 'Sugar Sugar', under the guise of the CuffLinks. This is not typical, but possible.

• Members

So the real answer to the question is "it depends" basically. For a really truly popular song, like the Zeppelin example, or something like Microsoft using "Start Me Up" by the Stones as an ad campaign anchor, it could be millions of dollars. For random composers it could be hundreds, and for those in the middle with record deals and publishing I think they generally see thousands to maybe tens of thousands if they land a song in a national ad campaign. Short version, it's a negotiation and depends on the stuff you'd expect, like how popular the group is, how recognizable the song, and how averse to commercial use the band is as well as how fixated on the specific song the client is.

Millions from a tv spot = pretty rare and only if you are already a really big star or if your song is already a big hit.

• Members

Millions from a tv spot = pretty rare and only if you are already a really big star or if your song is already a big hit.

okay okay... here the reality:

a composer/sound designer from hamburg germany made the ident melody for a super market chain, this melody wasn't a hit, nor is the composer known as pop star - he got his production fee for the first initial song - thru the years he had to make variation on the theme, e.g. with a banjo, with an acoustic guitar strumming etc., all with his melody on top of it

the spot is broadcasted in three years about 1,5 million second, he gets between $ 0.70 to $1.05 royalties per second broadcasted the amount depending in what country the spot is broadcasted,

the top of the list of royalties (more then $500.000 year) are more then half of the authors composer who make music for tv advertising, and the case of this composer in hamburg is by no means an exotic exception, and we do not even talk about what a composer gets in royalties for a melody for a Coca-Cola spot

Archived