Inside the mix

• Members

Here's an idea I just came up with although I'm sure someone's thought of it or perhaps even done it before...

For people like me who are relatively new at mixing and mastering, it would be cool if someone tracked down a few different sessions, rock, jazz or whatever suits you and then made those sessions available to others to compress, eq, mix and master to their hearts content and then compare the results or be able to actually see what others have done.

For this to be 100% portable, you'd have to agree upon one DAW solution (or make the wave files easily plop-able into any DAW) and the set of plugins if you want to be able to see what others have done. (Assuming no changes have been made to the recorded audio, all you would need to compare the mixes would be the tiny little session file.)

Not being able to use your favorite plug-in or outboard gear might be too constrictive of a restriction for some people I realize, but the point of it would be to demonstrate your mixing/mastering abilites, not to necesserily get it to sound "pro" but to get it to sound as good as possible with the given tools.

Whaddya-think?

• Members

I don't know how I missed this thread before. Just limited time, I suppose.

Anyway, I love this idea.

We did this several years back (MusicPlayer). I absolutely loved the whole idea, and people really got creative with different mixes. My mix was kinda creative but awful because it was quite literally the first time I had ever used Pro Tools, and was really scratching my head trying to figure out how to go about using it!!! But it was a good challenge, and made me poke around the program quite a bit - a great learning experience.

Eventually, the various mixes ended up in one of Craig's books on (I believe) Cubase.

It'd be great if people were into doing this again. In fact, assuming it was okay with my band, I could offer up the raw tracks.

• Members

For this to be 100% portable, you'd have to agree upon one DAW solution (or make the wave files easily plop-able into any DAW) and the set of plugins if you want to be able to see what others have done. (Assuming no changes have been made to the recorded audio, all you would need to compare the mixes would be the tiny little session file.)

What you are suggesting is exactly the reason I launched Raw-Tracks.com . My Raw-Tracks can be imported into any platform. All you have to do is import the tracks to your DAW, and line them all up so that they start at the same time. Everything will be in sync. Rather than trading the session files, you can upload an mp3 of your mix to my site. That way, everyone can compare what everyone else has done.

• Members

Originally posted by Joe Cole

SOS did something similar to this in their latest issue.

I love the idea.

Ironically, I just picked up the issue (with the AWS on the cover). It has an R&B tune on the DVD.

I, too, think it's a great idea. I remember the MusicPlayer thing, also.

Peace

Archived