Why are some people subjects of gossip and others aren't?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wHAT ARE you afraid of? Your parents finding out that you're a lesbian, grace?

Face it, grace, lesbians don't become famous anyway. You have to stay IN the closet if you want to be famous, so there's no reason they'll find out about that anway.

• Members

Face it, grace, lesbians don't become famous anyway. You have to stay IN the closet if you want to be famous, so there's no reason they'll find out about that anway.

Heh, nah, my mum knows. My dad doesn't. That IS one of the issues, but I've kinda accepted if anyone ever knows about me in the general public, it'll come out eventually. I won't SAY it. Why would I? Who cares? People don't go round saying "Hi I'm (insert name) and I'm straight!" I HATE the ernest "wombats", the Indigo Girl-types...even kd Lang now. She's become a wombat (that's the term I use for the kinda man-looking dumpy lesbian women who drag their other wombat partners around behind them by the wrist, looking angry. lol)

I'm also not concerned it'll be a turn off for anyone anyway...Goldfrapp...you know her? She's with a woman now, and people find it intriguing. People would see me more in terms of YEAH, GIRL ON GIRL ACTION! As if because I don't LOOK like the stereotype of a lesbian, that nobody (guys) would really believe I AM actually gay...they'd probably see me more as the girls who kiss other girls, are with other girls, even MARRY other girls (Christina Applegate anyone?) but that they still have a chance...and they still WANT that chance. Unlike with the stereotypical lesbos. Blegh.

But no, it's not that. It's the other stuff I've done mainly. Stuff I've done is worse than something I just AM.

• Members

Yeah, you're right.

Janis Iancd-cover.jpg

Ellen Degeneresellen-degeneres-american-idol.jpg

Melissa EtheridgeMelissaEtheridge.jpg

Indigo GirlsindigoGirls4W.jpeg

Rosie O' DonnellRosieODonnell.jpg

Joan JettJoan_Jett.jpg

Ani DiFrancoani-difranco.jpg

• Moderators

They are all the same when you turn off the light.

REally? I'll bet I could tell the difference between Joan Jett and Rosie O'Donnell in the dark ;)

And we forgot about k.d. lang...

The point is, these days sexual orientation is not an issue in the entertainment industry...as long as you are honest about it. Hasn't seemed to hurt Elton John, either...

• Members

REally? I'll bet I could tell the difference between Joan Jett and Rosie O'Donnell in the dark
;)

And we forgot about k.d. lang...

The point is, these days sexual orientation
is not
an issue in the entertainment industry...as long as you are honest about it. Hasn't seemed to hurt Elton John, either...

It's not an issue of you're making music for the LGBT market. But otherwise, it sure is.

Case in point: Jonas Brothers, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, Ricky Martin etc.

They're all in the closet. The only time they came out was when everyone forgot who they were and they wanted a new chance at 2 minutes of fame.

You're not gonna be mainstream if you're openly gay. It's as simple as that.

• Moderators

You're not gonna be mainstream if you're openly gay. It's as simple as that.

you had better tell this guy about that... :rolleyes:

and David Geffen...Neil Patrick Harris...David Hyde Pierce...Nathan Lane...Sir Ian Mckellan...need I continue?

The 'stigma' of homosexuality has faded along with the racism, religious discrimination and other narrow minded biases of the past...at least in the entertainment biz.

• Members

you had better tell
this guy
about that...
:rolleyes:

and David Geffen...Neil Patrick Harris...David Hyde Pierce...Nathan Lane...Sir Ian Mckellan...need I continue?

The 'stigma' of homosexuality has faded along with the racism, religious discrimination and other narrow minded biases of the past...at least in the entertainment biz.

I could counter to that list MANY MANY more names of closeted homos, who understand that if they came out, they would never achieve the same career peak that they have attained.

It's a long way down if you wanna rock n roll.

• Members

Oh, is David Geffen gay? I didn’t know that.

Yeah, it’s not a huge deal now. Just be yourself. If Lady Gaga was gay, nobody would care I think…I mean, they WOULD, they’d be interested, but nobody would NOT be interested in HER anymore, right? Her appeal is not dependent on whether the men who listen to her music can sleep with her or not.

But yes, there are apparently MANY gay people in Hollywood and stuff who are closeted and will remain so.

• Members

intermediate conclusion. subsumption

if you want to be gossiped

- dress funny

- admit you're gay

- make some bizarre music

- have it released by Geffen

- smile at every occasion

- kiss Madonna in public

- sleep with any well known person, shoot a video of it and upload to tube

- let yourself catch by a patrol while picking up boys at the railway station toilet

anything I forgot?

• Members

- dress funny

- admit you're gay

- make some bizarre music

- kiss Madonna in public

- let yourself catch by a patrol while picking up boys at the railway station toilet

anything I forgot?

Most GLARING, OBVIOUs OMISSION EVER:

Go 2 Rehab!!!

no, no no!!!!

• Members

- dress funny

-
admit you're gay

-
make some bizarre music

- kiss Madonna in public

anything I forgot?

I have these. Lol.

And others not mentioned.

• Members

I see. First, you make a patently blanket (and I'd say bigoted) statement: "lesbians don't become famous anyway." I pointed out several who have right off the top of my head, now you want to quantify the word 'famous'? Then you use homophobic language, and
I'm
the fool?
:lol:

1981 called and wants its stereotypes back.

What is really amazing is how a troll gets 1500 posts without being banned.
:facepalm:

d00d, I'm not going to get into an e-war with you, if that's what you're looking for by sociopathologically twisting my words around. LOL!

• Members

I missed the "pissy" posts. Didn't read them before they vanished...

Anyway, not that anyone asked, but here's my take on lesbian musicians... ahem...

I have met more lesbian singer songwriters than not - meaning I've met a lot of women singer/songwriters in the past 5 years and the majority of them have been lesbians. I'm an open minded musician and I have gay friends, so how do I feel about this?

If you are a man, you are going to give an attractive woman performer more of your attention before you decide whether their music is good, because they're nice to look at. This is sexist and awful and true. Being gay might color how much you like their music, because you start framing their songs that say "I love you so much it hurts" in terms of them singing to a woman, and not to a man, which you could turn around and fantasize about. So it could destroy the fantasy.

Does this matter with great music? Nope. If the music is great, men will like the artist. Does it matter with bad music? Nope. If the music sucks, no matter how hot the woman is, we're going to want to leave. Does it matter with borderline music? It might. It depends on the man.

On a more personal note - I've met some lesbians who are... not exactly hostile to men, but they put a wall up. Or they overcompensate with humor. They're not so fun to be around. In several cases it's almost like they don't like men period, and you have to become "the exception" and prove you're not a jerk. This type of personality can transfer to the stage, and it's not appealing. When you're on stage, you need to be warm and friendly to everyone. Unless you play a style of music where you're expected to act like an ass.

Massive disclaimer - I don't speak for all men and there are exceptions to everything I said above.

• Members

Interesting, and in my own experience, also quite true.

I am STRONGLY against, as I said before, the "ernest wombat violently and/or poignantly strumming guitar lesbians", and I'm also against any woman, gay or nay, who has a problem with men.

Just for the record, I have NO problems with men at all. I just don't have the INTEREST, and it is instead directed at girls. That's all. I was born this way and it's just another portion of my overall personality. It doesn't define me. It isn't ALL of me. It's just part of me. And it's not as a REACTION to anything that's happened to me either. Bah.

But this wasn't even about lesbian musicians!! I don't want to BE known as a lesbian musician, GOD NO! I just want to be ME. If people are interested in any sort of sexuality things surrounding me, then fine.

As I do with my music and the partnership I have with my girlfriend in terms of the music, I look to Alison Goldfrapp. She does her stuff in her studio and has a partner (non-intimate) for the music...and it was quietly reported a while back that she's with a woman now...yet she continues to make her music and be successful, doesn't she? That's what I want.

• Members

Well, I didn't mean to piss all over your thread, but I just get a bit miffed when I hear anyone say you can't do this or that because you're gay, or black, or disabled, or whatever. You should be able to do whatever you want, and you can, if you put all your efforts into it, regardless of externals.

Back when I was trying to be something, I first :

1) established my goal. In my case, it was to be a regional act working steadily in a 500 mile radius, mostly weekends, playing original music.

2) did a 'completion backwards' strategy: in order to be a regional band, I have to have a local following first. In order to have a local following, I have to make a CD that is decent. I have to have a decent press kit. In order to have that, I have to have press. Etc etc.

3) I then looked at what I had to do to get to point A to point B and made a rough 5 year plan.

4) I broke that plan into one-year goals, trying to be as realistic as I could about what I could accomplish in that year. I actually achieved all my goals in less than 4 years. I started in 1999 and by 2003 I was playing every weekend, mostly opening for concerts, big festival stages and big clubs. In that time I made 4 CDs and got favorably reviewed by national magazines, had a song selected for a hand-out disc in MacWorld magazine, got airplay on college, public and specialty programming on commercial radio stations in various markets across the country, got airplay in Europe, and so on. It was a lot of work to make that happen, but if I could do it, anyone can.

Too many folks with a dream never get past the dreaming stage. Being successful at anything requires a lot of hard work involving planning, preparation and execution, unless you're really, really good or really, really lucky, or both. I'm neither, so I had to work at it.

All the best.

Archived