Photoflame - how's it done exactly?

walfordr

• Members

Does anyone know how a "photoflame" effect is actually done?

Is it a paper sheet stuck on the wood? Is it some sort of photo sensitive paint which is then exposed and developed?

If you have a batch of photoflamed guitars are they all absolutely identical?

• Members

I'm not sure. I'm tempted to suggest that a base material is laminated to the face of the guitar, and then the guitar is run thru a printer which inkjets the pattern on.

Or sheets of pre printed material are laid over the guitar and vacuum adhered, trimmed and bound.

It's probably not a "photo-emulsion" based process, but stranger things have been done.

• Members

Actually, according to my and others research, this is the way Fender does their fotoflames, which is different than others it's not actually a photo:

They chemically etch a basswood cap to give it the look and texture of flamed maple, then they stain it and clearcoat it. The body is solid alder with an etched basswood cap on the top and bottom.

One of my Fenders has tons of releicing, dents and scrapes, and it's definately all wood, no paper at all.

However, some cheap guitars do glue paper on top of the wood, like those cheap Dean camo models. I saw one at Sam Ass that had the top peeling off like bad wallpaper.

• Members

Originally posted by Mazi Bee

Actually, according to my and others research, this is the way Fender does their fotoflames, which is different than others it's not actually a photo:

They chemically etch a basswood cap to give it the look and texture of flamed maple, then they stain it and clearcoat it. The body is solid alder with an etched basswood cap on the top and bottom.

One of my Fenders has tons of releicing, dents and scrapes, and it's definately all wood, no paper at all.

However, some cheap guitars do glue paper on top of the wood, like those cheap Dean camo models. I saw one at Sam Ass that had the top peeling off like bad wallpaper.

Thats what I found although every time the question comes up I forget where I found it!

• Members

+1000

I have one that looks just like the blue-burst above (except it's HSS & Floyd). It's the best sounding and lightest Strat I ever played. It's probably my favorite guitar. Mine has a few dents and dings too and it's definitely all wood.

frstrat2_copy1.jpg

• Members

That would prb be better called "faux-to-flame" :D

• Members

Hmmm... I wonder if they have used more than one technique. The folks on this site http://www.xhefriguitars.com/page7.html seem pretty up on this stuff.

PaulS

• Members

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r

Thats the way I understood it was done.

Here's my 95 foto flame deluxe custom tele.

tele.jpg

My Strat isn't in the same league as that Tele! Very nice indeed.

Are those Bardens? Cool Rails? How is the guitar overall?

Mine is put together really nicely. I took out the stock pickups and put all the electronics from my Amer Dex (VN pickups) in there. Those pickups are okay to me, but definitely way better sounding in the RI than in my ash Amer Dlx. Seems like they favor the basswood.

Also, the 7.5" neck radius + period correct vintage frets is kind of a bummer for me, given my aggressive bending style.

PaulS

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

Very nice indeed.

Are those Bardens? Cool Rails? How is the guitar overall?

Thanks Paul, yes those are Bardens in my tele. The guitar is a tone monster and plays like butter. It's one of the nicest teles I've ever played. Construction is top notch on this guitar.

• Members

I had this one cheap headless guitar and the top looked like some steve vai jem or somthing. If you looked at it really close you could see the ink jet dots that make up the colors. It seriously looked like somthing you could print on a printer from walmart. This is the kind of guitar you only sell online with pictures. When some one sees it upclose they wont buy it. Only made to look good in a picture.

printertop.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

That would prb be better called "faux-to-flame"
:D

Touche'!!! :D

Is it true that you can always tell a photo-flame frome the real deal because the photo doens't have that three dimensional illusion of movement ("shimmer") that real wood grain does?

It would seem that it would be possible, using birefringent dyes, to even mimic shimmer...

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Touche'!!!
:D

Is it true that you can always tell a photo-flame frome the real deal because the photo doens't have that three dimensional illusion of movement ("shimmer") that real wood grain does?

It would seem that it would be possible, using birefringent dyes, to even mimic shimmer...

These flames shimmer. They do have an authenitc quality to them in person:

flamed_maple.jpg

Archived