I just finished building a new JTM45 rig...

Shovelhead

• Members

I bought this completed chassis from www.ceriatone.com. Those guys build a REALLY nice amp. It's all point to point handwired, and it really sounds great with the KT66 tubes and tube rectifier. Pure old school - no master volume, no separate gain control, just pure JTM Marshall tone.

jtm4501.jpg

So, I wanted a traditional Marshall look. I built the headcab to be the same dimensions as the old JTM45 cabs. I like just a little bit cleaner look, so I left the 'string' off the top and bottom of the cab:

DonJTM01.jpg

DonJTM02.jpg

Next, I needed a traditional looking Marshall-style cab, but in a 2x12 format. I built this one like my other cabs, but used the old Marshall large checkerboard grillcloth. I also 'floated' the logo on the grillcloth instead of building a tolex-covered valance for the nameplate (like Bogner, some Marshalls, etc). The result is that this rig SMOKES! I have to use a THD Hotplate, because even tho the amp is 30 to 35 watts, it's way loud. With my Fulltone Fulldrive II, it's perfect for our rock cover gig:

DonJTM04.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Noah

Sweeeeeeet!

Tell us about the tone, maxed out, semi maxed out and clean, like w/the guitar's volume backed off.

Maxed out, it's a big traditional Marshall sound. The KT66s and tone stack of the JTM45 is heavy on the bass, and it can fart out a bit if the bass is too high. I keep the bass rolled down to about 2, and it stays much tighter. The top-end is sweet! I have an old '74 Marshall Superlead, and the top-end in this amp is sweeter and less aggressive. The wattage is also more manageable at 30 watts instead of 100.

This amp cleans up really nice with the volume knob. It has an organic feel to it because of the GZ34 rectifier tube instead of a solid-state rectifier in the Superleads. I normally gig with a Bogner Shiva, and this amp rivals the versitility of a 2-channel rig like the Bogner because of the way it cleans up.

My favorite way to use this amp is to keep the volume at about 1 oclock, and use a Fulldrive II in front of the amp. With the pedals boost function, I can get over the band and really saturate the solo sound, but keep it nice and tight on the rhythm sounds too.

• Members

I have a 2x12 combo Superlead as well with stock EL34's... and I'm thinking about sticking in either K66 tubes or KT88's for a different sound. Do you think putting these in would give me a more bell-like breakup with a less harsh midrange?

By the way, that looks like, and probably sounds like, a winner. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by contrage

I have a 2x12 combo Superlead as well with stock EL34's... and I'm thinking about sticking in either K66 tubes or KT88's for a different sound. Do you think putting these in would give me a more bell-like breakup with a less harsh midrange?

By the way, that looks like, and probably sounds like, a winner.
:thu:

You might be better off to have a tech change capacitors in the tone circuit in your Superlead. KT66s need a different impedance on the output transformer, and you'd have to swap transformers and replace resistors in the bias circuit in order to be able to bias it properly for the tubes.

I love my Superlead, but the JTM-45 is a different animal. You need both! :D

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Holy {censored}. That's beautiful. You have my tastes exactly. Post some clips!

I can see we have the same taste just by looking at your avatar!

I haven't recorded any clips yet because I just finished up the construction last night. I have a gig tonight, but very soon, I'll record something and throw it up on the 'net.

Thanks!

• Members

That's really nice, I'm currently after a 70's JMP and cab off ebay to complete my new amp rig which should be here net weekend. I just won a Fender Twin Reverb (silverface) so now I need my marshall and an A/B pedal, bring on the rock. :cool:

Clips !!!

• Members

Originally posted by Shovelhead

I bought this completed chassis from
www.ceriatone.com
. Those guys build a REALLY nice amp. It's all point to point handwired, and it really sounds great with the KT66 tubes and tube rectifier. Pure old school - no master volume, no separate gain control, just pure JTM Marshall tone.

jtm4501.jpg

So, I wanted a traditional Marshall look. I built the headcab to be the same dimensions as the old JTM45 cabs. I like just a little bit cleaner look, so I left the 'string' off the top and bottom of the cab:

DonJTM01.jpg
DonJTM02.jpg

Next, I needed a traditional looking Marshall-style cab, but in a 2x12 format. I built this one like my other cabs, but used the old Marshall large checkerboard grillcloth. I also 'floated' the logo on the grillcloth instead of building a tolex-covered valance for the nameplate (like Bogner, some Marshalls, etc). The result is that this rig SMOKES! I have to use a THD Hotplate, because even tho the amp is 30 to 35 watts, it's way loud. With my Fulltone Fulldrive II, it's perfect for our rock cover gig:

DonJTM04.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

(excuse me while i go jerk off)

• Members

Here's a clip of some noodling. I used a Les Paul, plugged straight into the JTM45 with no pedals or effects, and into a closed back cab with custom Eminence speakers that an amp building pal and I had made. I used a Shure 57 mic, with no eq at the board. I hit play, and recorded a bit with the volume rolled down. Then I cranked it at the guitar. The amp wasn't touched during the whole clip.

I need to record a song tho - I hate these kind of clips. It sounds like a no-talent hack playing at GC! Oh well, you can hear the amp very well.

http://members.aol.com/dimasicabs/jtm45.mp3

Archived