A good Ska Guitar

Devinstation

• Members

I currently own a Fender MIM Strat, which is good for ska but I can't get the right sound I want out of it. I need to be able to go from the upbeat ska staccato strumming to punk-like distortion with the simple touch of a foot pedal. So I was thinking of something with a hot humbucker in the bridge possibly? I was looking at maybe the Fender Cyclone but, I am open to any other ideas.

• Members

Something with P90's. Run your clean with the guitar's volume down a little and the tone wide open. Then for the dirtier stuff,bring the guitar's volume up a bit and back off on the tone control a little to fatten things up a little. (and use whatever overdrive you are using,of course) Tele works good for this too. Strat works ok too if you have a tone control on the bridge pickup.

• Members

You could install a stacked humbucker in the bridge position of your current guitar. Something like a Duncan Hotrails has a lot of output and would get you that fat distortion.

And a +1 on getting the bridge wired to a tone control if you stick with the strat, it helps a ton.

• Members

For Ska? I would agree on P90s, they have brilliant cleans, very bright on the bridge and can go to wonderful distortion, as heavy as you want with the click of a pedal. Problem with the Tele is that they don't hold the distortion well nor are they really meant to -- not knocking teles at all, I love teles! I have a tele! Just they are thin when they go into overdrive mode.

For inexpensive, there are two that come to mind, I don't own either one but both have gotten great reviews:

Squier Tele Custom II (a tele with P90s!) $299 at MF

Hamer Gold Archtop with P90s. $299 at Music123

If you want cheaper, try the JJ Pistols model from SX, available at Rondo:

SX SJM-62 $139

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjm62.html

Several I can recommend if you want to go higher up the food chain.

• Members

Lets see what other ska bands use...Reel Big Fish uses Les Pauls (Standard/Custom) and Fender Thinlines (72' Thinline Customs). Less Than Jake uses Les Pauls. Jefferies Fan Club...Les Pauls...The Rx Bandits...yeah...they also use Les Pauls...

Depends on your taste on the "Ska" sound. In this case, the guitarists overwhelmingly use the neck pickup of their humbucking guitars to get that sound. P-90s would work great for it as The Forces of Evil use guitars with 'em. I prefer neck humbuckers for ska. Its up to you on what you want. :D

• Members

Yes - the advice about p-90s is really good

If you already like Fenders... Check out jazzmasters.

I don't think there's a better punk/ska guitar than a jazzmaster cuz you can quickly go from a perfect clean sound to a perfect distorted sound just by stomping on a dirt box. Also, you can throw dark surf sounding elements that a lot of the early 80s punk bands would do (like on the repo-man soundtrack)...

The jazzmaster also sounds especially great with punk/ska amps... like the orange ad30

Look into matching your new guitar with 6l6s or el84s power sections... El-34s are a little too crisp on the clean channel for ska (my opinion)

• Members

Ive seen RBF live ... Aaron Barret uses a Les Paul Double Cutaway and Scott Uses a Seventies model tele with a tele pickup at the bridge and a humbucker at the neck, that is probably the one your talking about. But I didnt know they used the neck pickups, I need to try that, so Im thinking maybe the tele custom with the Hum at the neck and the Tele at the bridge ...

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

Ive seen RBF live ... Aaron Barret uses a Les Paul Double Cutaway and Scott Uses a Seventies model tele with a tele pickup at the bridge and a humbucker at the neck, that is probably the one your talking about. But I didnt know they used the neck pickups, I need to try that, so Im thinking maybe the tele custom with the Hum at the neck and the Tele at the bridge ...

Yeah I've seen them live as well a bunch of times. Aaron tends to use his neck pickup almost exclusively, same with Scott.

Archived