"best" Sansamp-style unit?

• Members

Alrighty, so I've got a bass finally and I've always heard many a good thing about Sansamp stuff for bass. I'm thinking about a good ol' bassdriver D.I. as this would mainly be for home studio kinda use.

I'm after the most flexable, and I see they've got a rackmount version with a mid control, which seems pretty darn cool. Is this the same/similar as the Bassdriver?

Also, are there any other brands I should be looking at for this kind of effect? I see there's some stuff from Radial out there too... any other ideas/brands?

• Members

The MXR M-80 is a very similar unit. I have not used either the BDDI or the M-80 with my bass, but I would love to try both of them out to compare them. I have heard good and bad about the Sansamp. I have not heard a lot about the M-80, but everyone I have talked to who has one likes it.

• Moderators

I like the Bass Pod a lot.

Regarding the SansAmp bass stuff, and this is all hearsay as I've never used either, but I've read consistently that they are very nice. Ironically though, the floor model sounds better than the rack version. I'm letting you know this is only second hand info, but the guys I'm paraphrasing are heavyweights.

With the Bass Pod, you've got a DI out too that is time aligned right out of the unit. The DI signal great for reamping later as well...

• Members

HIGHLY recommend the SansAmp Bass Driver, the good ol' stompbox. Don't know about the rackmount version, but the regular ol BD is just awesome, I rarely use anything else for recording these days, and I'm typically a modelling hater. The SansAmp is an all analog circuit and maybe that has something to do with it.

• Members

Yeah I seem to hear/read that the basic floor version sounds better than the programable and/or rackmount one which I think has a mid control?

So it seems if it is a sansamp, a stompy bassdriver it is...

But can anyone enlighten me as to the MXR M-80? That thing looks pretty damned cool.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Switch

But can anyone enlighten me as to the MXR M-80? That thing looks pretty damned cool.

The only thing I know about that one... I was at a Street Music Festival and a popular band up from Mexico was playing and they sounded great. Pop / Rock / Norteno

The guy's bass tone was killing... but no amp that I could see. I'm stumped, so I walk up to the stage and he's playing a Music Man though the M-80 DI'ed and monitoring only though his wedge. His bass tone killed.

It may have been the fact that there was no amp to muck up the tone, but what he was giving the FOH guy was awesome.

• Members

I've never used the Bass Pod, only heard it. But it sounded quite good from the one instance that I heard recorded tracks comin' off from analog tape.

I've heard that the SansAmp Bass Driver is excellent, but have never knowingly heard it.

I've gone direct several times with the Roland Bass Cube 30, which offers models of eight different kinds of bass amps and some effects, including some usable compression, and have gotten surprisingly good, solid bass sounds from it. I do not know how this compares with the above two. The one thing that I can comment on is that the Bass Cube sometimes gets a little bit of hiss in the quiet portions when using compression, but does this even when not using compression. It's small and ultimately doesn't adversely affect the rock tracks that I've used it on, but it's still something I'd prefer it didn't do.

Archived