$500 USA Hamer Special

Alchemist

• Members

Just a heads up, I was surfing their website as I do pretty regularly to see if deals pop up. This seems like a pretty good one, and I know a lot of guys are looking for P-90 guitars, if I wasnt in the market for a CS carvin I would get it. Anyways, just a heads up incase someone is looking, seems like a good deal to me.

http://www.songbirdmusic.com/product_details.asp?id=10399&clear=y&ret=%2Fproducts%5Flist%2Easp%3FcatID%3D21%26clear%3Dy

• Members

I've bought several things from them. My 05 natural burst sg standard in mint condition, case, and all. For around $800 before taxes. My mid 90's Ibanez SR800FL fretless MIJ active bass for $450 with case.

Most of the time they have crap, but every once in a while they get good stuff but it sells right away so I guess you gotta be quick.

• Members

I have a Hamer import, myself - the "Sunburst Quilttop", which is funny because it's not a sunburst at all. Plays very nicely. I'm hoping to acquire that P-90 goldtop one they make. If I had some cash I'd snap up that Special!

• Members

Originally posted by AshboneWish

The web page says 'used'?

Yes. The 2-pickup Hamer Specials have been out of production for several years now. That one is one of the older ones because the headstock says "Hamer Special." They later just used the same "Hamer" (without the word "Special") they put on other model headstocks. My guess would be late 80's to early 90's, but that's just a shot in the dark.

$500 US w/hsc is quite good. I got a late 90's one a few years ago with no case or bag for $450 USD. The prices on these will only go up. Great rock guitar.

BK

• Members

I bought a USA Hamer Special back in '93. Great, great guitar. Sounds incredible, plays very well. Looks a little goofy to me, but just because I'm not a huge fan of that body shape.

I've had people offer to buy it from me but I won't sell. A friend borrowed it to do some recording and I had to "remind" him to return it after six months.

Somebody should jump on this. It's worth every penny of $500.

• Members
Originally posted by Tundra_Man

I bought a USA Hamer Special back in '93. Great, great guitar. Sounds incredible, plays very well. Looks a little goofy to me, but just because I'm not a huge fan of that body shape.

For me what it is (I actually like the doublecut LP shape, I have a Gibby LP Studio doublecut as well), is that the Hamer Special to me looks "naked" without a pickguard.

That, of course is an easy fix. The Gibby pickguard for a Les Paul Special doublecut may work, if you cut off the bit between the top of the neck pickup and the bottom of the fretboard (the Hamer butts right up against the fretboard), though you would probably have to make an adjustment to the area between the 2 pickups as well. What I did was use a replacement guard for a singlecut LP Special. It still required 2 straight cuts to the area between the pickups though.

BK

Chrissie.jpg

Archived