Plastic guitar's!?

Maiden_Fan No1.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually there are some very expensive pro quality lucite guitars out there.

Check out the one in this link, a Fender Custom Shop 'See Through" Lucite Strat made for Bryan Adams..

Starting bid is $8,500.00. :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38082&item=7317367936&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or if you don't need Custom Shop quality here is something a little cheaper. Only $139.00. :D

lucite10.jpg

lucite11.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Here's another, a Flying V... Weighs in at 8.8 pounds.

Galveston makes a bunch of different body style lucite guitars. Do a search on EBay for they will show some of them..

galveston20.jpg

So does/did Dillion.

• Members

I've played a number of Lucite guitars, (Dan Armstong and Dillons,) though I've never owned one. What you get is the pure sound of the pickups, for better or worse. They sound a bit cold to me. And they're heavy as hell.

Keith Richards played a Dan Armstrong lucite guitar back in the seventies. I've seen Stones footage of him playing, Mick Taylor SG sounded a lot better. But I have to admit, it looked pretty cool.

• Members

Played a BC Rich Mockingbird like those before and damn it's horrible.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's well made and looks really cool but the weight is horrible (heavier than any Les Paul). I can't imagine anyone playing a whole set with it, you will get a back injury.

And the sound? I though it sounded horrible. Not natural at all.

• Members

wavecaster.jpg

It's called the wavecaster.

From another site:

This odd electric guitar has a hollow and transparent plexi-glass body which is filled with blue wave machine fluid. It has a rosewood fretboard, a standard ESP neck and a natural headstock. Its body design is an ESP Telecaster model.

• Members

I've thought about sending off a 3D model of a strat body off to a rapid prototype place. Some of these places will give you a whole lot of options; PVC, even aluminium. I'd love to try that.

Does anyone have a 3D / CAD drawing of any bolt-on guitar body.

I'd love to have an all-aluminum guitar. Get a body fabricated, bolt on one of those metal necks from the 80's, make a pickguard out of diamond plate. For bonus points, get it chromed. For total awesomeness, get everything gold plated.

• Members

I know this the electric guitar forum but anyone remember the Macaferri plastic guitar of many years ago? They were actually meant as playing instruments and they are almost collector's item as they've become pretty rare.

• Members

Originally posted by jrkirkish

I've thought about sending off a 3D model of a strat body off to a rapid prototype place. Some of these places will give you a whole lot of options; PVC, even aluminium. I'd love to try that.

Does anyone have a 3D / CAD drawing of any bolt-on guitar body.

I'd love to have an all-aluminum guitar. Get a body fabricated, bolt on one of those metal necks from the 80's, make a pickguard out of diamond plate. For bonus points, get it chromed. For total awesomeness, get everything gold plated.

Are you friends with this guy?

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

I've played a number of Lucite guitars, (Dan Armstong and Dillons,) though I've never owned one. What you get is the pure sound of the pickups, for better or worse. They sound a bit cold to me. And they're heavy as hell.

Keith Richards played a Dan Armstrong lucite guitar back in the seventies. I've seen Stones footage of him playing, Mick Taylor SG sounded a lot better. But I have to admit, it looked pretty cool.

I think it'd look really cool til it got scratched, then maybe not so much so....

Archived