js1000 refinish

bond

• Members
Originally posted by bond

mmm it really does need to be one piece for a beautiful natural finish:

js6_f.jpg

The JS6 and JS6000 were also mohagany, not basswood like a JS1000. You can strip the finish off, but you'd have to stain the wood to get it that color, and the grain will not be the same at all, even if it is a one piece body.

• Members

Originally posted by lowbrow

I don't believe they're talking about plywood.

Plywood refers to multiple pieces of wood laminated together to form a larger individual piece for product manufacturing. Plywood doesn't always mean dust and 1/16" slices. Technically speaking, any body consisting of more than one piece is plywood, even a Les Paul (mahogany body with a maple laminate, thus, PLYwood..) It can be vertical, as in the Les Paul's case, or horizontal, as in the guitar shown above. It simply means a piece of wood constructed of smaller pieces.

• Members
Originally posted by larryguitar

I'd guess that it's a multi-piece.

My SZ320 (solid black, originally) had a three or four piece back and a SIX piece maple top-most companies use whatever they can on the solid colors. Let's see if I have a pic-

IbanezNekkidFront.jpg

Larry

Hi Larry

That looks way cool.

How tough was it taking the finish off?

• Members

Well, you have to consider that I do auto paint for a living, so my tools are pretty suited to something like this--and it took me a good three hours! That poly is like steel, and I didn't want to use stripper and risk the binding.

It's also CONSIDERABLY lighter now-seriously.

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

Well, you have to consider that I do auto paint for a living, so my tools are pretty suited to something like this--and it took me a good three hours! That poly is like steel, and I didn't want to use stripper and risk the binding.

It's also CONSIDERABLY lighter now-seriously.

Larry

Ah, cool.

Turned out nice. Sorta resembles the cutting board in my kitchen. I dig it!

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Plywood refers to multiple pieces of wood laminated together to form a larger individual piece for product manufacturing. Plywood doesn't always mean dust and 1/16" slices. Technically speaking, any body consisting of more than one piece is plywood, even a Les Paul (mahogany body with a maple laminate, thus, PLYwood..) It can be vertical, as in the Les Paul's case, or horizontal, as in the guitar shown above. It simply means a piece of wood constructed of smaller pieces.

The OED defines it differently:

plywood

Plywood- noun: thin strong board consisting of two or more layers of wood glued together

Also, if you were to refer to professional asscoiations, like the APA-Engineered wood asscoiation, who define standards by which plywood is graded, you would see they say:

Plywood: Manufactured from thin sheets of cross-laminated veneer and bonded under heat and pressure with strong adhesive

I'm not picking on you, I've just seen you use plywood incorrectly many times, and I think it's important people not get mislead into thinking a manufacturer uses plywood for guitar bodies, when few if any do, anymore.

Archived