My Latest Guitar Design

u6crash

• Members

I've been sketching this quite a bit lately. It's sort of a cross between an SG and a Hagstrom Impala, which is what inspired the hook thing at the bottom of the body.

guitar_01.jpg

Yay or nay? What would you do different? There are some refinements I'd like to make in the body curves as it is hard to get it right on such a small scale.

• Members

Thanks for all your input, I'll defintely take your suggestions into consideration.

Some of the thoughts I had after reading your comments:

I might look better with a 6 in line headstock if the top of the body weren't so close to symmetrical.

I'm a little surprised that a couple of you wanted the headstock to be more "bold" or different. I felt like I was going out on a limb the way it was.

It also is more remniscent of that Samick Cobra than I'd like, but I wasn't familiar with that guitar beforehand. This is what got me started:

himpala.jpg

As far as the bridge, I drew it here with a Hipshot hardtail, but early sketches had a TOM w/ stop tailpiece. Nothing is definite. Thanks again for the fresh eyes. Maybe I'll post some revisions later on.

• Members

Here's an updated take on it. I've offset the horns and drawn the point at the bottom in a different fashion. The controls are a little different as well. I took the Gibson layout (more or less) and replaced a volume pot with the 5-way switch.

guitar_02.jpg

The body looks too long here, so I'll keep tinkering with it. Maybe I just need to pull up some of the weight on the sides of the lower bout. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Archived