Access violation

• Members

I have been working on this session for a week now and all of a sudden a few day's ago I get an "Access violation" error and I have'nt been able to open the session since.What doe's this error mean and how can I get my session open again?I'm on PT M-Powered 7.3cs2.This problem is losing me money and pissing client's off.HELP!:confused:

It can be caused by various things; hard drive failure to read, corrupted session, corrupted Digi Databases... have you tried flushing (deleting) you Digidesign preferences?

If you've had a crash, and Pro Tools repeatedly quits on launch even after a restart, you need to delete Pro Tools' settings files for a clean start. On the Mac navigate to Users/[your directory]/Library/Preferences and trash DigiSetup, DAE Preferences, and Pro Tools Preferences, then restart. On Windows the Pro Tools preferences are at C:Documents and Settings[your directory]Application DataDigidesign. The DAE Preferences can be found at C:Program FilesDigidesign DAEDAE Prefs.

Source: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/protoolsnotes.htm

If that doesn't work, you can create a new session and import track data from the old session. If you wind up having to resort to such extreme measures, I've found it is generally best to import only a few tracks at a time into the new session, then save the new session, close it and then reopen. Repeat until you get everything imported, giving each version a different name (songname1, songname2 works). I do that because sometimes it's a problem with the specific track that messed up the session to begin with, and when you import it, it can corrupt the new session. :freak:

You should also check the Answerbase over on Digidesign's site - espcially if there's an assertion code listed with the access violation message. That can give you some clues into what the cause of the problem is.

• Members

Application DataDigidesign. The DAE Preferences can be found at C:Program FilesDigidesign DAEDAE Prefs.

Source:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/protoolsnotes.htm

If that doesn't work, you can create a new session and import track data from the old session. If you wind up having to resort to such extreme measures, I've found it is generally best to import only a few tracks at a time into the new session, then save the new session, close it and then reopen. Repeat until you get everything imported, giving each version a different name (songname1, songname2 works). I do that because sometimes it's a problem with the specific track that messed up the session to begin with, and when you import it, it can corrupt the new session.
:freak:

You should also check the Answerbase over on Digidesign's site - espcially if there's an assertion code listed with the access violation message. That can give you some clues into what the cause of the problem is.

Thanks Phil.Yep........I tried importing all the data into a new session but after import I received the Access error again.I'll try the few tracks at a time/save trick you suggested.I have about 30 PT sessions and they all open up problem free except this PITA session.

Sound's like this problem has happened to you a time or two also.I tried all of Digi's suggestions with no success.I'll keep trying.

• Members

I've only had two corrupted projects with my DAW software but I've been able to recover everything except one half-finished track by going to a previously saved version of the project file, opening the new project and then copy and pasting the new audio into the project file.

And even if you can't open the corrupted project, starting from an archived backup of the project in progress, allows you to minimize the amount of importing, reconstructing, and so on.

• Moderators

Are you editing witht the Smart Tool?

Do you have the 7.3.1 fix?

I just installed 7.3 so I could try the new Time Strech freebie. I'm in the middle of editing an albums woth of drums and wanted to try it for pocketing. Part of that technique requires time streching several times per bar. The Smart Tool is the way... only I kept getting the Access Violation you describe. I install the update and it's gone. Bug fix listed first is "Access Violation when using the Smart Tool to resize region".

That might be it Lee - he said he's running 7.3 cs2.

Good point about checking to see if you can get a session backup to open Blue. PKO, do you have automatic session backup enabled? If so, you should have a session backup folder in the project's main folder. In it are a bunch of .BAK files that PT should be able to open. You may run into the Access Violation with some of them, but some will probably open. Might lose some work that way though. :(

• Members

Thanks, Phil... I just caught your comment after rewriting the post (just now) to be a little more on point. I'm one of those people who, when started, prattles more -- and more incoherently -- when he hasn't had any coffee. Of course... it's not a simple curve.. there's a point after I've had coffee, too much coffee, when I start prattling again... and... ooh a shiny object. Where was I... ?

Good luck recovering that project, PKO.

• Members

That might be it Lee - he said he's running 7.3 cs2.

Good point about checking to see if you can get a session backup to open Blue. PKO, do you have automatic session backup enabled? If so, you should have a session backup folder in the project's main folder. In it are a bunch of .BAK files that PT should be able to open. You may run into the Access Violation with some of them, but some will probably open. Might lose some work that way though.
:(

Oooops.........I meant 7.3.1cs2,and I do have session backup enabled.I tried using every .bak file and just keep getting that "Access violation" error.

I do have the same session saved of the first mix and it opens fine but by God i'd hate to lose all those hours of edit's that I did on the 2nd and final mix.Does this kinda crap happen with HD?????

• Members

Too much coffee?

What is this bizarre notion... too much coffee?

Can there be such a thing?

[Actually, come to think of it, yes there can. Back in the early 90s I went to a friend's wedding in the garden of a nice park... it was a big wedding and the groom had been on the OC new music scene forever. They decided to have a costume wedding. Not them -- although they wore zoot suits and poodle skirts -- but the audience. And there were a lot of people who came in costume... maybe 80 or so. Unfortunately that left another 320 or so who didn't and didn't really get it. Anyhow, my costume -- complete with elaboarte pre-written schtick -- was a tweaker. Torn levis patched with duct tape, a boombox with a flashlight duct taped onto the handle... and a spiel that was written sitting at my favorite coffee house just pouring down double depth charges (a double shot of espresso in a mug of coffee). Then, to settle my stomach, I bought at couple ginseng sodas to go. Anyhow... since wasn't drinking alcohol I had more coffee at the wedding... it was... stimulating. My teeth actually hurt.]

Archived