My Digi 003 Review

• Members

All digi had to do was....copy the black Lion mod. R and D all done, but nooooo.

Just give people a dongle digi ( a reasonably priced one) so they can put their cash to better use on a proper hardware device.

Oh and bring your le software up to at least the competitions level. Industry standard indeed :lol:

...it once again needs to be modded.

I checked with Black Lion and they
will
be improving the new 003. Seems it's audio performance, among other things is again lack luster so they will be offering a mod.

Needs to be modded? I don't know if I'd go that far. You can do good recordings on an unmodded 002. I'd like to hear the new units (as well as the BLA mods) with my own two ears before deciding if it's better, the same, or worse sounding than the 002. My understanding is that the 003 is supposed to have improved converters, and so I would expect to have it sound a bit better than the 002. But by how much? And how much further can BLA take each of the units? Can they make a 002 sound as good as a upgraded 003?

Lots of speculation and claims, but as always, I reserve my opinion and judgement until I hear the units. But having heard - and used - a 002 since they were first released, I don't think it's horrible sounding and therefore "needs" to be modded in order to get a good recording out of one. :)

• Members

Ok, so while we're waiting for an actual review, I've been looking at the 003 and used 002's but got to thinking. For those who use them and rack mount them, do you have cables adapting the ports in the back, mainly the 4 XLR ports, or just patch bay the whole thing? Or do you just reach around and connect everything each time? Or set the rack sideways for better access to the rear?

Is it obvious that I haven't slept much in the last week? :bor:

• Moderators
Needs
to be modded? I don't know if I'd go that far. You can do good recordings on an unmodded 002.

Amen Phil!

I recorded an album a couple of years ago, tranfered from tape to 16bit, then all the key parts were tracked to an AudioMediaIII card. A Mackie VLZ into an AudioMedia card. It was nominated for San Diego's Best Pop Album last year at the San Diego Music Awards.

It was a fight.

I've got my new API A2D running into an 002 and use an OctoPre for extras, and of course I want Rosetta 800... but you can do a lot with a little. I don't miss 16 bit but hey, nobody knew.

Tchad Blake's take on technology is like minded. What kind of pre do you use Tchad? "Whatever. I like Neve but whatever. The snares going through San Amp anyway so whatever." :)

I'm all for making it better but as soon as that starts getting in the way of what's really important, I lose interest.

• Members
Amen Phil!

I recorded an album a couple of years ago, tranfered from tape to 16bit, then all the key parts were tracked to an AudioMediaIII card. A Mackie VLZ into an AudioMedia card. It was nominated for San Diego's Best Pop Album last year at the San Diego Music Awards.

It was a fight.

I've got my new API A2D running into an 002 and use an OctoPre for extras, and of course I want Rosetta 800... but you can do a lot with a little. I don't miss 16 bit but hey, nobody knew.

Tchad Blake's take on technology is like minded. What kind of pre do you use Tchad? "Whatever. I like Neve but whatever. The snares going through San Amp anyway so whatever."
:)

I'm all for making it better but as soon as that starts getting in the way of what's really important, I lose interest.

Exactly. :) I'm no audio pro by any stretch of the imagination, but if I can't make something sound good the last thing I blame is my 002 Rack.

• Members

A couple of my favorite of my own tracks were done with a Soundblaster Live.

I wasn't crazy about the sound at the time but it was either the SB or nothing and I can tell you that when I hear those tracks today, I'm not thinking, Oh gosh, I wish I'd had a Lavry... I'm thinking... wow, I was a lot more creative then, listen to all that cool stuff I was doing. What happened to me? I gained an extra 8 bits and lost my soul...

:D

I have a lot of respect for Tchad Blake's work - he's one of my favorites. :)

Thanks for the quote Lee. Where did you see / read / hear that?

:phil: :phil:

• Moderators
I have a lot of respect for Tchad Blake's work - he's one of my favorites.
:)

Thanks for the quote Lee. Where did you see / read / hear that?

:phil: :phil:

Boy. I should be careful. That was paraphrased for sure... but pretty close. Gearslutz is doing a guest moderator thing with him right now.

Archived