If Clapton is God, what is Joe Pass?

otis_rush_fan

• Members

in the 60's CLAPTON WAS GOD... still is in my book - HENDRIX too (as there are MANY GODS of the 6-string...).

You would have had to been there to appreciate the "CLAPTON IS GOD" time period. The 60's were lame assed guitar players till ERIC & JIMI trolled in... I was a Brian Jones/Keith Richards wannabe then I heard the Yardbirds and finally we had CREAM and the "EXPERIENCE" - then we lost our minds :freak: :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by jdjonsson

Is there anyone else here besides me that just gets zero excitement out of watching some guy make constipated faces playing arpeggios?

/just don't get jazz, never have.

Oh well, Maybe some day you will.

Anyway, Joe is the Blessed Virgin!

• Members

Eric Clapton is not god. I've had so many non-musical people always ask me over the years if I listened to Eric Clapton. My reply was always no. Honestly I don't think he's that great. His music is boring. He is a pop icon.

People like Joe Pass are the real gods but sadly they are recognized like Eric Clapton.

• Members

I remember a remark Clapton made in an old interview that at some point he realized that he was not going to become a gymnastic guitar slinger. He figured he'd better write some good tunes. That worked for him pretty well. And he plays well enough to put a solo over that's appropriate to the tune.

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

Or B.B.King

Actually, I have a video of Joe taking questions from students and one asks him about an interval shift during one of his songs and he was like "huh?". I think Joe was more of a feel player than a by the book kinda guy. He played what notes fit the song, and left it up to the nerds to disect what he actually played. I doubt that he couldn't read music, but I don't think he put as much effort into sticking to the scale as other people. Personally, I think you can OVER analyze playing to the point that it becomes little more than a math problem. Play for the passion of the moment, not the numbers.

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Personally, I think you can OVER analyze playing to the point that it becomes little more than a math problem. Play for the passion of the moment, not the numbers.

There is a point where intellectualization becomes very separate from the art. Even (especially) "when it sounds good, it is good", those of lesser artistic talent who are well-schooled in theory and analysis have to satify their own egos by a reductionistic critique.

Tommy Bolin was not conversant in music theory or even standard notation, but was able to play very complex, sophisticated, and highly original guitar with the jazz fusion luminaries of the 70's, and cut significant new ground with them, many of whom had conservatory training. In interviews, he related how academically grounded players would talk to him in music theory jargon, and he'd have no idea WTF they were saying. However, as soon as they'd demonstrate he would know that he already understood, had played, and artistically applied the thing they were trying to describe.

• Members

Originally posted by Gentle Thunder

I saw him over here a few years ago..........he was awesome!

He stopped in the middle of one improvisation and just said to the audience....." I'm sorry..........i just got lost!"........

Talent like his is not learnt....it is a gift.......we can try to emulate it but perhaps only a few will match it!
:)

By "a few years ago" you must mean more than 12, since he died in 1994. Time flies, doesn't it?

I saw him when I was a kid, my dad took me to see Joe, Ella Fitzgerald, and Oscar Peterson. I'll never forget it.

As far as the "god" thing goes, Clapton always hated that. EC doesn't have an egotistical bone in his body, and while people like us sit around and cap on him for this and that, he's quietly gone about the business of learning to play guitar and get to the essence of the masters. EC is a blues/rock guy who made it accessable to the masses and introduced a lot of kids like me in the 60s and 70 to the blues greats. Joe Pass was a jazz virtuoso and prodigy. He can't do what EC does, and EC couldn't do what Joe did. All these idiotic comparisons are the stuff of amatures and wannabes who miss the point of playing music entirely. I'm really sick of hearing things like "Clapton is a pop sellout" or "SRV was a pentatonic wanker". Nothing like success to bring out the envy-driven scorn of the talentless.

In my not so humble opinion, of course. But wtf do I know?

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

By "a few years ago" you must mean more than 12, since he died in 1994. Time flies, doesn't it?

I saw him when I was a kid, my dad took me to see Joe, Ella Fitzgerald, and Oscar Peterson. I'll never forget it.

That brings me way back...in college (70's), one of my favorite albums to chill out to was a live thing that Joe Pass and Oscar Peterson did. :cool:

Ella, OMG, she had the sweetness and energy of a schoolgirl right to the end.

• Members

I think EC is a great guitar player, but I never really liked his songwriting in his solo days. I like his Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith & D&theDominoes stuff the best. To me, at some point he lost a lot of his fire and sometimes just goes through the motions. Sometimes he still kicks ass.

But having said that, I agree that comparing EC to JP doesn't really make sense - they weren't trying to do the same thing, and I love blues and rock guitar, regardless of how lowbrow or "easy" it is.

Any beginner can hack their way through a 12 bar progression, but that ain't the same thing as Robert Johnson or Lightning Hopkins or Muddy Waters or Albert King or SRV. Knowing the rudiments of a style or genre and playing it at a high level are very different things.

• Members

Originally posted by 10-46

Clapton God???

I never thought Clapton was even that good. I like Cream, though to me the best thing about Cream was Jack Bruce's vocals. Anything after Cream is pretty much Nohand as oppossed to Slowhand.

Joe Pass is a giant among giants. I saw him play in a trio and will never forget his lead lines over chord voices I can't even pronounce.

Simply one of the greatest guitarists to have ever walked on this planet.

A Cream concert in 1968 was relatively earth-shaking and Clapton's playing was more than 1/3 of the deal. Bruce and Baker made the deal complete. The iconoclast Ed Roman asks "What do Eric Clapton and a cup of coffee have in common?"

They both SUCK without cream.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

As far as the "god" thing goes, Clapton always hated that. EC doesn't have an egotistical bone in his body, and while people like us sit around and cap on him for this and that, he's quietly gone about the business of learning to play guitar and get to the essence of the masters. EC is a blues/rock guy who made it accessable to the masses and introduced a lot of kids like me in the 60s and 70 to the blues greats. Joe Pass was a jazz virtuoso and prodigy. He can't do what EC does, and EC couldn't do what Joe did. All these idiotic comparisons are the stuff of amatures and wannabes who miss the point of playing music entirely. I'm really sick of hearing things like "Clapton is a pop sellout" or "SRV was a pentatonic wanker". Nothing like success to bring out the envy-driven scorn of the talentless.

In my not so humble opinion, of course. But wtf do I know?

You really do have a good point.

• Members

Originally posted by mongrel876

A Cream concert in 1968 was relatively earth-shaking and Clapton's playing was more than 1/3 of the deal. Bruce and Baker made the deal complete. The iconoclast Ed Roman asks "What do Eric Clapton and a cup of coffee have in common?"

They both SUCK without cream.

ed roman is a pansy if he said that.

but he's right on this one anyway :D

Archived