If Clapton is God, what is Joe Pass?

otis_rush_fan

• Members

I saw him over here a few years ago..........he was awesome!

He stopped in the middle of one improvisation and just said to the audience....." I'm sorry..........i just got lost!"........

Talent like his is not learnt....it is a gift.......we can try to emulate it but perhaps only a few will match it! :)

• Members

Joe Pass is one of my favorite jazz guitarists. He learned soloing by emulating Charlie Parker (so he told us in an interview). He sure knows his way around a fretboard even if he gets lost once in a blue moon.

Edit: Charlie Parker and not Byrd as I first absent mindedly wrote. Charlie Byrd was the one (along with Getz) who helped US audiences get a good taste of brasilian Jazz music.

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

He learned soloing by emulating Charlie Byrd! (so he told us in an interview).

Oops! I'm surprised nobody corrected me on that one. I meant to say Charlie Parker (alias "Bird", hence my little mixing up of the name, sorry). Now, Parker being one of the best improviser of all time, no wonder Pass became rather proeficient himself as well.

• Members

Joe Pass is way up here..

Eric Clapton and anyone/everyone else is down here.. I personally don't have the vocabulary to describe just how great Joe Pass was, and will always be. So I'll let this little smiley say it for me...... :eek::love::eek:

• Members

Clapton God???

I never thought Clapton was even that good. I like Cream, though to me the best thing about Cream was Jack Bruce's vocals. Anything after Cream is pretty much Nohand as oppossed to Slowhand.

Joe Pass is a giant among giants. I saw him play in a trio and will never forget his lead lines over chord voices I can't even pronounce.

Simply one of the greatest guitarists to have ever walked on this planet.

Archived