Great River ME-1NV or FMR RNP

• Members

Great River ME-1NV or FMR RNP

I know the GR is twice the price as the FMR. I'm a "home recording hobbiest", not anywhere near a pro (and no future plans to go pro). I record into a Korg D1600mkll currently using a $69 ART Tube Pre (not bad sounding, but a little noisy). I am also using an inexpensive MVL condensor (a better mic will be the next purchase).

I've listened to some sound files illustrating these mic pres, and since they both sound good to me, I'm just wondering if my relatively untrained ear can notice the difference.

I have a knowledgeable friend who tells me that the GR pre is amazing, but I've read nothing but great praise about the FMR.

Please help me here. Is the GR a better "investment" or is the FMR plenty enough pre for a relatively low-end home studio?

By the way, in either case, I plan to add a FMR RNC to the signal chain, too.

Thanks for your help!

• Members

i would probably go with the FMR. i had the GR 2nv and while it is nice, it doesnt compare to the REAL neve with marinair xformers... it has a nice sound, BUT there was a pretty noticible difference between a 1079 with st ives and a 1073 with marinair xformers. it was closer to the 1079.

and you being a hobbyiest, i would save the dough.... i dont know if FMR is your best choice either. apples and oranges.

• Members

Thanks so much for the advice. The RNP +RNC + Mic sounds like a smarter way to go.

Now that we're talking about the $500 preamp range, are there any better/different options (one channel would be fine) I should consider? I really like the sound of "tube warmth" (but not for every application), so I was attracted to the Great River pre because of it's gain-staging, which would allow me to dial in as much color as I want.

Also, in the same $400 to $600 range, what LDC vocal mics should I consider (At4040 or 4050, Oktava M219 mod are a few that some folks have raved about).

Thanks again for your help.

• Members

Thanks so much for the advice. The RNP +RNC + Mic sounds like a smarter way to go.

Now that we're talking about the $500 preamp range, are there any better/different options (one channel would be fine) I should consider? I really like the sound of "tube warmth" (but not for every application), so I was attracted to the Great River pre because of it's gain-staging, which would allow me to dial in as much color as I want.

Also, in the same $400 to $600 range, what LDC vocal mics should I consider (At4040 or 4050, Oktava M219 mod are a few that some folks have raved about).

Thanks again for your help.

Oktavamod 319 DPE for vintage sound

Oktavamod MK-105 for brighter modern sound. Or save up and get both.

KILLER.

Also check out Shure KSM44, AT4047, Shure SM7 (a dynamic).

• Moderators

I'd lean toward something like the 4050 because that RNP is crying out to use both channels in stereo apps. The 4050 will soon want a friend when you can swing it. Like... another 4050. Great for doing all sorts of stereo mic techniques. A fairly neutral kind of mic. Works on a lot of sources. It works on everything to a certain degree. Switchable patterns, etc.

That'll take your recording to the next level.

• Members

That's funny. You guys mention mics that have been recomended to me.

The friend that recommended the Great River pre uses his with a AT4050, and he says it's a killer combo. Since I probably wouldn't use the omni or figure 8 patterns (not in my room), and the mic would be primarily used for male vocals, I wonder if the AT4040 (is there also a 4030 or 4033?) would be a better fit.

Another friend swears by his Oktava M219 mod (I think that's the model).

Are these mics viable options?

• Members

The AT4050 and AT4033 are two different mics/capsules, with the AT4050 being a far better choice sonically. I actually don't really care for the AT4033 very much as an overall mic, and as well, for vocals, but I know that they are fairly popular for vocals. I do think they're pretty good for guitar cabinets, though.

I would also recommend the FMR RNP. I own two, and think they're great, especially for the money. Well, for the money, they're astounding, actually.

If you really want tube, you can either use what you have already or try and look around for a used Peavey VMP-2, a tube mic preamp combo (actually, two mic pres) + DI + EQ, which I own. I got it for $600, and if you heard how good this thing is for $600... It is fairly large, though, especially when you compare it to the diminuitive FMR stuff. I think it's three or four full rack spaces, if memory serves.

• Members

BTW, don't overlook the versatility of switchable polar patterns. It's amazing how for certain voices/songs, recording vocals in omni can really open up your sound. Same thing with recording guitars or guitar cabinets. And yes, I record in a house, so I know some of the issues you might go through. But it's really nice to have those choices.

I have two tiny small diaphragm condenser mics that are omni-only (the Avenson ST0-1s), which I use for various things, such as kick drum mics and acoustic guitar mics. No proximity effect, so I can put them as close to a source as I want without dealing with that, if that's what I want. For guitar cabinets, sometimes it's cool to record solos with this mic, as it sort of extends the sound, opens it up a little, differentiates it from the rhythm a little more. Depends on what you want, of course.

• Members

Hey, thanks for the help. Regarding tube pres, I actually gave some strong consideration to Universal Audio 610 solo, and LA-610 (pre + comp), but in my very tight, and rather inflexible recording space, the huge size of the UA gear just wouldn't work.

I keep coming back to the Great River pre because of the flexibility that gain-staging gives you. The idea of being able to dial in just the amount of color I want appeals to me. Of course the price of the FMR RNP also appeals to me.

Regarding the 4050, I'm glad to hear that the omni pattern can be used in a home environment. I was just thinking that because my half den/half recording room is not (and the wife will never let it be) acoustically treated, I would not want a lot of the "room" in my captures. And of course, the extranneous noise from inside and outside the rest of the house would be more easily picked up using an omni pattern. That's the only reason why I thought the AT4033 or 4040 would be a better choice.

• Members

If you're considering tube preamps, check out the Groove Tubes "The Brick." It's a solid preamp, and it makes a very good bass DI. I've also used it at live shows as a DI for acoustic/electric guitars.

I don't think you'll be displeased with the RNP, though. It's an absolute steal for two channels of quality mic preamplification.

• Members

I keep coming back to the Great River pre because of the flexibility that gain-staging gives you. The idea of being able to dial in just the amount of color I want appeals to me. Of course the price of the FMR RNP also appeals to me.

Regarding the 4050, I'm glad to hear that the omni pattern can be used in a home environment. I was just thinking that because my half den/half recording room is not (and the wife will never let it be) acoustically treated, I would not want a lot of the "room" in my captures. And of course, the extranneous noise from inside and outside the rest of the house would be more easily picked up using an omni pattern. That's the only reason why I thought the AT4033 or 4040 would be a better choice.

I've heard nothing but great things from the Great River pre by people who seem to know what they're talking about and have great taste. They're a little expensive, so it's up to you to know whether to take the plunge or not.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I have two RNPs, a Neve Portico, and the aforementioned Peavey VMP-2 (which is no longer made, and is very nice, and also kinda large). Although the Neve Porticos just completely rule and offer Silk Mode, which produces some pleasing distortion and girth and "butter", in clean mode, the Neves are, well, clean and clear. Much like the RNPs. And you know what? At a fraction of the cost, the RNPs give the damn Neve a run for the money. The Neve's clean mode is a bit more clear than the RNPs, but sheesh, it better be...it's three times more expensive!! I mention this because although I don't really know what the Great River really sounds like, my suspicion is that it's roughly the same "quality" as the Neve Portico (note that I'm not suggesting that they necessarily sound alike, but that I'm guessing they're roughly equivalent in quality).

Since I use a mic in the home environment, I have to be careful of things like lawnmowers and airplanes and refrigerators and computer fan noise. But I'm still, at least with most pop and rock stuff, able to get away with using mics in omni. And if you're recording drums and guitar amps, it quite frankly doesn't matter what the hell you use because you're sure not gonna have to worry about any extraneous noise leaking through that. And quite frankly, if a little does...well, your guitar amp noise is already knocking your noise floor way up!!!

• Members

i would check out the pacifica. i fell head over heels in love with that preamp, and i had the GR 2NV, a cranesong flamingo, api 3124, chandler EMI tg2 with NOS marinair xformers, sytek, and a few other preamps at my fingertips to choose from. i really didnt want to give it back to peter... and i havent done any tracking since then, well album tracking. i have "enough" great preamps and cant warrant buying any more tracking gear right now. but thats my fav preamp out right now, just the right amount of color. although my TG2 i will never part with.

• Members

My thoughts... you get what you pay for... I have a feeling that you'd be much happier with the GR, but then again, if you also need a mic upgrade then the RNP might be the way to go. As far as the GR not sounding like a Neve, well sure, but then again, what *truly* sounds like a 1970s Neve (aside from a 1970s Neve). You might want to check out Sytek (4 ch. for around $800, though def. a "clean" pre, not a diry, Neve, style one). You could also check out Chameleon lbas - They make some Neve inspired pres that a lot of folks are digging - and they're pretty moderately priced.

As far as mics, for good, all purpose LDCs, I would look at the Shure KSM 44, the AT 4040 or 4050.

• Members

My thoughts... you get what you pay for... I have a feeling that you'd be much happier with the GR, but then again, if you also need a mic upgrade then the RNP might be the way to go. As far as the GR not sounding like a Neve, well sure, but then again, what *truly* sounds like a 1970s Neve (aside from a 1970s Neve).

A Neve Portico sounds like a Neve. :D

Any decent engineer could make an absolutely beautiful recording with only RNPs, so I would think that it'd be good enough for a guy in a semi-pro home studio, knowwhattamean? I've gotten a lot of people to buy RNPs after they record in my studio. They can't believe how good it sounds. I can't either. How the hell an ugly tiny little box with a tiny little price tag makes such a sweet sound, I'll never know.

• Members

A Neve Portico sounds like a Neve.
:D

Any decent engineer could make an absolutely beautiful recording with only RNPs, so I would think that it'd be good enough for a guy in a semi-pro home studio, knowwhattamean? I've gotten a lot of people to buy RNPs after they record in my studio. They can't believe how good it sounds. I can't either. How the hell an ugly tiny little box with a tiny little price tag makes such a sweet sound, I'll never know.

Yeah, but a Portico doesn't sound like a 1970s Neve either. :p

I wasn't trying to knock the RNP, I like the RNP, it's just that after trying out Neves, SSL, Grace and APIs the RNP doesn't match up. It's not an insult against it, just my opinion.

To the original poster, if you're thinking something on the clean side, check out a Grace 101.

Archived