Really cheap, neat small condenser mic

• Members

I have a client that wanted a lapel mic to record her therapy sessions. She had been using an MXL 990 that I got her a year ago.. She keeps knocking it off the desk...

So, hearing about Naiant mics on another forum, I decided to purchase one of their small MSH 2 mics and the lapel clip.. $46 for both. It appears that it would make a great acoustic instrument mic with an instrument mic mount, a $39 accessory..although I didn't have time to try it on anything..

Since I was on their site, I went ahead and got an MSH-1 small condenser omni mic. $22.

Yesterday I had an acoustic group in the studio and just for giggles decided to try out the Naiant omni on some acoustic instruments.. Guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo and Dobro.

The mic is about the size of a regular Neutrik XLR connector. It simply amazed us at how good it sounded on all the acoustic instruments. And it picked up EVERYTHING.. very sensitive, but clean and clear.. It sounded better than my MC-012 and Shure SM81 on the same instruments... Go figger.

Next is trying it as stereo drum overheads.. As soon as the other one arrives...

I just love finding really good inexpensive stuff....

• Members

Cool - please let us know what you think of them after you give them a go on some instrument tracking.
:wave:

I will.. I have an acoustic session coming up in two weeks and I'm going to try the Naiant on a Martin D18.

January is "rock and roll" month of scheduled sessions and I'll try them on drum overheads and maybe even snare/hi hat duties.

• Moderators

Malcolm Chisholm used to preach the way of the small omni condenser for snare and hat. He swore taping one on the end of a car antennae and putting it close to the snare picked up what he considered to be the perfect picture of that pair.

He used a cheap Sony lav. Apparently this technique made its way onto to plenty of Chicago Blues recordings from the 70's. Chess, etc.

I imagine this little guy might be able to offer something similar.

• Members

It sounded better than my MC-012 and Shure SM81 on the same instruments... Go figger.

Next is trying it as stereo drum overheads.. As soon as the other one arrives...

I just love finding really good inexpensive stuff....

I haven't used 81's since the 80 when I did live sound, and I don't have any in my mic locker now. Could you compare it a common large D omni?

I'd love a source for some well designed mics at a good price!

• Members

I haven't used 81's since the 80 when I did live sound, and I don't have any in my mic locker now. Could you compare it a common large D omni?

I'd love a source for some well designed mics at a good price!

Well....the only LD omni mic I have is a CAD M179 and to be honest, I haven't used it in omni mode. It has variable patterns and I typically use it in Cardioid or wide cardioid.

The little Naiant condenser seemed to really pick up everything in the area of the instruments I tried it on. Much more open than any of the SD condensers I have.

I think for the $22 the Naiant MSH-1 costs, you should just get one and see what you think. I am starting to think of all kinds of things I want to try it on..

I'm getting a generic mic clip for my sax that will hold it, I'm gonna stick it on my wife's upright bass..etc.

• Members

I have a couple of those NSH1 . I think they sound pretty nice.

right now I have one zip tied to my cello, seems to suffice.

yeah, good cheap stuff is always fun.

cheers

C.

Where do you have the mic mounted on your cello? I'm gonna try mine on upright bass and thinking of where to mount it. Some guys have a big "C" clamp that holds the mic above the "F" hole.. but I would rather have it less obtrusive.

• Members

mines pretty obtrusive - I zip tied it to the fretboard, facing down with the mic sticking out about 1" past the end of the fretboard.

Zip tie is about 5" from end of fretboard. (Super-Backyard-Engineering)

I'm not much of a cellist, so it doesn't really affect me there.

I had previously compared this little mic to one of the Shure teen-tiny ones, side by side (sorry, forgot the model #) - the Shure did sound better, but it dang sure didn't sound 10 - 15 times better!

cheers

C.

• Members

did a google on the naiants and after reading what some folks on various forums had to say i ordered 2 MHS-1's,matched pair, 56 bucks shipped to australia, its got me quite excited, ideally want to use them mounted on my desk to record stereo guitar tracks without leaving my seated position at pc, for 56 bucks it got to be worth a try:thu:

• Members

did a google on the naiants and after reading what some folks on various forums had to say i ordered 2 MHS-1's,matched pair, 56 bucks shipped to australia, its got me quite excited, ideally want to use them mounted on my desk to record stereo guitar tracks without leaving my seated position at pc, for 56 bucks it got to be worth a try:thu:

I did do a little researching on using omni mics in stereo recording and the most common advice is to use them as a "spaced pair" and not XY or Blumlein, ORTF, etc.

The suggestion is that the mics need to be at least three feet apart..

I am not sure how that translates to recording a guitar in stereo..but food for thought.

If my experiments with a Martin D18 and one MSH-1 mic are any indication, I was happy with just one of the mics.

• Members

I did do a little researching on using omni mics in stereo recording and the most common advice is to use them as a "spaced pair" and not XY or Blumlein, ORTF, etc.

The suggestion is that the mics need to be at least three feet apart..

I am not sure how that translates to recording a guitar in stereo..but food for thought.

If my experiments with a Martin D18 and one MSH-1 mic are any indication, I was happy with just one of the mics.

yeh i will experiment when i get them, all part of the fun:)

• Members

I got my pair of the MSH-1 mics in today and only had about 10 minutes to play with them. I plugged one into a GT Brick and into a Korg D3200 recorder and recorded a couple of quick takes of a Taylor 714ce. I must admit that it actually sounded pretty darn good! I'm going to play around a bit more and try a stereo recording of the acoustic and see how it sounds - so far I am quite impressed and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a realy good bargain on a matched pair of mics.:thu:

• Members

I got my pair of the MSH-1 mics in today and only had about 10 minutes to play with them. I plugged one into a GT Brick and into a Korg D3200 recorder and recorded a couple of quick takes of a Taylor 714ce. I must admit that it actually sounded pretty darn good! I'm going to play around a bit more and try a stereo recording of the acoustic and see how it sounds - so far I am quite impressed and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a realy good bargain on a matched pair of mics.
:thu:

good news, got me all excited, but i'll have to wait 2 weeks for mine to come:cry:

Archived