Macbook air.

• Members

Apple has found a way to charge $800 extra for the Macbook by making it "cuter".

except no disc drive, I love macs, but i cant wait to hear some horror stories about people sitting on this thing. new track pad is cool though, I wish my Macbook Pro did that. Does anyone know what the hell a solid state hard drive is? If i had the money, it looks like it would be fun to play frisbee with.

• Members

The SSD drive is just like a memory card for cameras. Incredibly fast and no moving parts. It will be expensive but it will also increase the battery life and make the computer seem much faster than it actually is. Recording to SSD should be very interesting. Access times are incredible. My BIG problem is the lack of Firewire and Ethernet. I know there are workarounds but I'm still not ready to see Firewire go the way of the Dodo.

• Members

I'm sure they aren't abandoning FireWire and Ethernet. They just want the sexiest appliance available for portable peoples. This thing is not for music power apps and versatile connectivity, this is for bloggers who sit in coffee shop wifi zones all day.

• Members

Firewire's demise has been rumored for quite a while now. eSATA is the new platform of choice. I sure hope that firewire stays around because it is very stable and fast. The new USB spec looks good on paper but it still is limited to one direction at a time and requires way too much processor intervention.

• Members

This notebook wasn't designed to replace their other portables. This is meant to be an ultra-portable, lighter, thinner, better battery life. There just isn't room for all of those other features. There are a lot of other makers that offer ultra portables and the Macbook Air is very comparable to them. FYI there is an optional external superdrive, also usb NIC and modem are available too. As for the price it is right in line with what sony and other makers charge for a notebook such as this. Im not a Mac zealot, although I do use them. But i think it fits the market niche pretty well. My only complaint would be the lack of a user replaceable battery. They are available, but the average user would have to take it too an apple store to get it replaced. So if the battery dies you cant just swap another one in, you have to find a place to recharge.

• Members

Same discussion over on Anderton's forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanmass

Gorgeous, but, anyone looking at this as a primary machine is going to be disappointed...

Well probably not everyone will be disappointed by it but many will be.

Quote:

1) No firewire (WTF!?)

Total Suckage.

I guess Apple has decided USB helped to make a winner of the Ipod so Firewire is obsolete now?

Quote:

2) Sealed battery ( extra time from??)

More Suckage. Welcome back to the Ipod again.

Quote:

3) Optical Smoptical

They want total control over your media.

Quote:

4) 1 USB (!!??)

I don't know what the hell they were thinking on this one

Quote:

5) No Ethernet?? (yes, speed junkies still use CABLES)

Maybe plugging that cable in is too difficult for Mac users?

Quote:

A writers dream...A road warrior journalists dream, but not a musicians machine for sure.

Mixed bag, certainly an overall bummer.

Might be good for somebody but definately a musician's nightmare, saying it rates as a "mixed bag" is probably being pretty kind.

• Members

Well, had a discussion with my girl about the Macbook Air and explained to her all the points mentioned above and also that it's slower than the Macbook she has now, but the cute factor combined with the almost instant boot up with the flash drive (an extra $900 thx Apple) overruled any logic.

I then calmly told her to point to the calender and pick out the day hell froze over to go pick one up.

• Members

Well, had a discussion with my girl about the Macbook Air and explained to her all the points mentioned above and also that it's slower than the Macbook she has now, but the cute factor combined with the almost instant boot up with the flash drive (an extra $900 thx Apple) overruled any logic.

I then calmly told her to point to the calender and pick out the day hell froze over to go pick one up.

Oh come on now.... Women aren't logical.

• Members

Compared to what I paid for my current laptop that thing is quite a bit less.

I don't think it was designed for the casualy user at all. Buisness people who don't want to lug something big and heavy is about the only viable use that I can think of.

You basically already have to have another (good) mac for this thing to be cool at all.

• Members

Not really designed for a business user, not without a super drive, and not with a mini dvi port and no ethernet or modem. Sure there are add ons, but you risk cluttering up everything in your laptop bag and that's counterproductive if you you want streamlined computing.

This thing has one true function, and that's looking cooler than everything else out. I guess I'm just pissed because I'm buying one:)

• Members

The SSD drive is just like a memory card for cameras. Incredibly fast and no moving parts. It will be expensive but it will also increase the battery life and make the computer seem much faster than it actually is. Recording to SSD should be very interesting. Access times are incredible. My BIG problem is the lack of Firewire and Ethernet. I know there are workarounds but I'm still not ready to see Firewire go the way of the Dodo.

With no option to carry a spare battery -- increasing charge-life (not to mention battery longevity, since a new battery will presumably mean a trip to the Apple store or maybe even the factory) will be crucial.

• Members

there was an article in the USA today about it... seems it isnt even the lightest of the bunch and others have been putting out lighter machines for 3 years now.... but the only buyers ahve been business people and a small market... and apple is more expensive than the rest. go figure.

Archived