Anyone use Floorfish Plugin?

• Members

I've had it on my daw for a long time but only recently started using it on my master send when mixing. I think its a pretty darn good freebe plugin for the overall mix. I found it tames the mix nicely without coloring the sound, adding noise, or overdoing it. Has anyone else had good results or prefer something else?

• Members

I'll have to try out the others in the series to see what they can do.

I think I have them but just havent tried them out.

I found these in a HC thread recently,

http://www.rhythminmind.net/presetblog/2008/05/10/module-series/#comment-211

I'm not the type to Rave or make donations but I think this guy deserves it for making some of the best plugs Ive tried so far. I think the closest I may have in comparison are my Waves Plugins. (I've tried out just about every free plugin on KVR and simular sights, nothing compares)

The FFC-1 is extremely powerful. I use it plus the Peak filter 3 for vocals, makes them cut through clean as silk in the mix. They also work great for bass and Drums. You can adjust them into distortion, meters right off the scale if you crank them too high so make mild adjustments.

• Members

Floorfish is an Expander / Gate isn't it? I don't think you'd want to put an expander on your master unless I'm completely misreading the situation and your post.

Blockfish, the compressor maybe?

Yeah, that's I though too.....

Anyway, I use the Floorfish gate always on toms and kick drum.

• Members

Gate/expander on the master? :freak::freak::freak:

I can't imagine why you would do that.

All the Digitalfishphones plugs are great though.

Blockfish usually gets the most accolades but I'm actually more fond of Endorphin.

• Members

I used the floorfish on my mains again last night. I only used only a very mild setting. It sounded so-so to me this time. Keeps the meters from spiking in the red but it was pumping too much or sounded a littel woofey this time. Maybe the last time I just hapend to have the right mix and BPM for it to sound good on that particular song. I did try out the compressor though.

The thing is pretty clean has a ton of gain. It reminds me of the H20 compressor. I been using that one alot because it quick, and easy to get a good transparent sound. I did notice a loss of dynamics in the Hi Fq ranges this time. I usually tame the dynamics using waves plugins during mastering. I'll need to try these out with the drums or bass next session to see what they can do there.

• Members

I used the floorfish on my mains again last night. I only used only a very mild setting. It sounded so-so to me this time. Keeps the meters from spiking in the red but it was pumping too much or sounded a littel woofey this time.

Either I'm missing something here or you don't understand what Floorfish does.

Floorfish is either a gate or an expander depending how you set it, neither mode is going to limit the peaks of a waveform. An expander actually will make the track have more dynamic range (spikes) not less.

Blockfish and Endorphin are not plugs I usually go reaching for to put on the master but at least they are capable of doing what I think you are after.

Both are best in my opinion used on individual tracks although Endorphin set up well could work as a limiter on the master.

• Members

I'm just explaining the effect it had on my mixes. If I cranked the expansion up more than 3 lights you can hear the gate kicking in but I was running it at a number 2 level and blended it with the soft setting so they interacted evenly. It may have been expanding and gating but it sounded more like compression without the increase in gain between peaks. Sounds like a description of expansion I know but it was more like a limiter to my ears. It prevented the mains from going into saturation no matter how high I set the mixer levels whick I though was kind of nifty. Go figure

Archived