I feel like i'm wasting my 5150 combo...

caseykey118

• Members

i'm not in a band right now... so all i do is play in my room. I truely believe i'm wasting this amp. I can never turn it up like its sapossed to be b/c it will just blow the {censored} out of my ears in my room, and i'm not in a band. Should i sell my 5150 combo?? I love the tone but i just feel like i'm wasting it. If so how much can i get out of it. Damn i wish i had a band right now haha. stupid {censored}ing job.

• Members

just looking at your sig, it seems you have lots of gear issues...seel the stuff you hate/never use first. Me, I would keep it because two days after you sell it, you will join a band and need to buy another.

• Members

Originally posted by ColourOfFire

RETARD ALERT

And to the threadstarter: join a band, or at least try to jam with other guitarist, bass players or drummers.

stfu asshat it does

grow some ears that modeling crap doesnt come close

• Members

definitely don't get rid of it. Gear is so much more fun and actually sort of takes a back seat once you get a serious band going. The days and hours I spent on here dreaming about gear and chatting about pickups, strings, and amps have now turned into days and hours of practice and writing music with and for my band. it's a lot more fun and yes, you will kick yourself in the face if you get rid of your 5150. :)

• Members
Originally posted by mparsons

You have a nice loud amp like that INCASE you join a band, so you're prepared for it. We've had to turn down people who were good enough to be in our band because they didn't have any equipment worth gigging with.

that's kind of retarded, imo. if the guy/chick can play, that's all that should matter. mic their amp for pete's sake.

turning someone down for their lack of gear? that's like saying I can't carpool with you to california because you own a ford and i'm anti-ford. :rolleyes:

...or something.

• Members
Originally posted by geek_usa
that's kind of retarded, imo. if the guy/chick can play, that's all that should matter. mic their amp for pete's sake.

turning someone down for their lack of gear? that's like saying I can't carpool with you to california because you own a ford and i'm anti-ford.
:rolleyes:

...or something.

IMHO it's totally legit for numerous reasons...the least of which is that it aint always practical to mike someones 15W ss practice amp that sounds like a lil smokey in a coffee can. Edit: course if a band wants to deal with someone that doesn't have the tools to get the job done, that's up to them.

• Members
Originally posted by Father Jack

Get a power attenator (sp?) if you love the tone. Don't get rid coz if you join a band you will kick yourself in the face.

+ whatever.

Yeah, finding an amp you like is like...impossible! You may even buy another 5150 later and think it doesn't sound the same.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by regent

sounds better at bedroom volumes then a modeling amp

FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!FOUR LEGS GOOD! TWO LEGS BAD!

• Members

If there's any likelihood you'll regret selling it, don't. There's plenty of great sounding small amps available nowadays - whether modelling, tube, or whatever - that will give you a great sound without needing something as big as that if you're ever going to play in a band again. OTOH, if you'rel ikely to be playing in a band again in the future, selling this (if you don't have a pressing need for the money) might well be a mistake.

FWIW, I've never cared for these particular amps so I have no idea of their approximate resale value, but if they can be had for cheap on the used market and aren't likely to go up significantly in value, then I'd be factoring in ease of replacement should I need one again as part of the decision making process.

• Members

Its the best piece of gear you own. I would keep her, especially if you plan on joining another band. I'm not in a band right now and I have a Marshall DSL half stack. Takes up a bunch of space, but I love the tone and I've been actively looking for a project. They all seem to flake out on me recently!

Archived