UA Solo 610

• Members

I just got back from my local Guitar Center, where I checked out their "List" sale. They're selling a Solo 610 for $600 through tomorrow. I've been wanting to make the move up to a high end preamp for a while now, and the Solo 610 has been at the top of my list based on research. But now I have to decide within 24 hours whether I want to make the leap.

Right now my preamps are 2 Focusrite Trakmaster Pros and a Presonus Digimax FS (8 channels). The Digimax FS is fine as a quiet, transparent preamp, but I want something with some character. I'm going to sell the Trakmasters eventually since I think they're just ok, nothing great.

I would use the 610 primarily for male vocals and bass DI. My vocal mics are a Blue Baby Bottle and a Blue Bluebird. I could also try it on guitar amps with my e906 and SM57, though that wouldn't be it's main purpose.

So my question is, is the 610 a good choice as my first high end preamp? Are there others I should consider? I'm also very intrigued with the idea of getting a lunchbox and starting to purchase 500 series modules, like the A Designs P-1 or the Great River or the API 512c. But none of those are tube pres, and in fact I can't imagine there are any 500 series tube pres since the small form factor just wouldn't fit a tube.

• Members

Will they grant you the return option on this baby--or is the sale final?

That is an excellent question, and one I will ask them today! If I can try it out for 30 days and then return it if I don't like it, then there's really no reason for me not to get it today. I'm sure I won't be able to beat that price anywhere unless I get a used one.

As an aside, I saved $200 thanks to their return policy a while back. I bought a PRS SE Singlecut for $600. Right away I loved it and I would never have considered returning it. . . until 2 weeks later when someone posted a mint condition PRS SE Singlecut on craigslist for $400. I went to check it out and it was mint as advertised, so I bought it and returned the original one to GC!

• Members

I have no idea, but how do they compare to the FMR RNP, two mic preamps (instead of one) for $475? The RNP is really good. I realize that we're comparing two different sounding mic preamps here, but since you didn't specify any particular sort of mic preamp....

I've been seriously considering the FMR RNP for while now- there just seems to be a HUGE price/quality disparity between the budget pre's at around $100-$200 per channel and the high-end stuff at around $800-$1200 per channel.

I currently use either the pre's in my Spirit 328 board or an Aphex 207 (the 1st one they came out with), and would like to have some more options, especially if I get a pair of Fatheads for my room mics.

It sounds like you really like the RNP, and price-wise they would be the 'missing link' in the mic pre chain.

• Members

FYI, I just called, and they are honoring their regular return policy for items on their "List" sale. The guy on the phone wasn't sure if it was 14 days or 30 days since some of their recording gear is only 14 days, but either way I'll have a couple weeks to try it out and decide if I like it.

So while I'd still get some more opinions on whether there are other high end single channel mic pres in the $1000 or under range that I should consider, I'm going to buy it. I'll post back here with my impressions of it after I've tried it out!

• Members

TBush, I love the FMR RNPs. As albiedamned points out, they are more "transparent" sounding. They are an excellent value. I own two of them, and have no problem using them right alongside a Neve Portico or Peavey VMP-2. Don't let the FMR's low price point fool you - they are high quality mic preamps.

I've never used ribbon mics with them, so I don't know how they would respond. You can always ask someone else here, or ask Mark McQ at FMR, who is brutally honest about the capabilities of his stuff.

• Members

when someone posted a mint condition PRS SE Singlecut on craigslist for $400. I went to check it out and it was mint as advertised, so I bought it and returned the original one to GC!

That's crooked {censored} -- next time you wonder why your local guitar store has trouble keeping in meaningful stock you'll know why -- lots of people scamming them.

• Members

That's crooked {censored} -- next time you wonder why your local guitar store has trouble keeping in meaningful stock you'll know why -- lots of people scamming them.

You think? I didn't think I did anything wrong. In fact the guy at the store asked me why I was returning it and I told him. The guitar I bought off craigslist was in perfect condition, but it was still used so it wasn't worth the full $600.

Anyway, I don't want to go off on a tangent in this thread. Back to the Solo/610. I'm going to get it in a few hours.

• Members

TBush
, I love the FMR RNPs. As albiedamned points out, they are more "transparent" sounding. They are an excellent value. I own two of them, and have no problem using them right alongside a Neve Portico or Peavey VMP-2. Don't let the FMR's low price point fool you - they are high quality mic preamps.

I've never used ribbon mics with them, so I don't know how they would respond. You can always ask someone else here, or ask Mark McQ at FMR, who is brutally honest about the capabilities of his stuff.

I've used my RNPs with ribbon mics from BLUE, Cascade, and ShinyBox. They all worked well. :) It gives a nice, natural sound. They're quality preamps.

• Members

The Solo/610 is very nice. It's been much discussed, so you can search around. Any discussion of the LA-610 would pretty be applicable as well, at least in terms of the overall sound since it's the same pre-amp section as the Solo/610. It's a more colored piece, and makes for a very nice guitar/bass DI box as well as as a really nice pre-amp for vocals.

I've never used ribbon mics with them, so I don't know how they would respond.

The FMR RNP works just fine with the ribbon mikes I've tried it with. :)

The UA 610 is a classic mic preamp. It's definitely colored sounding - thick and full. Sometimes that sort of color is beneficial and exactly what you want, while other times it might be a bit "much", so I personally would lean towards recommending something more sonically neutral for your first "good" preamp, and add to that later with more colorful preamps.

Another good option that would cost even less than the Solo 610 would be the Groove Tubes The Brick. It has some similar sonic characteristics, but you can usually find them new for about $400. It has no real metering, and no pad switch, but outside of that, it woks great as a mic pre, and it's my "go to" choice for bass DI (in conjunction with an FMR RNLA for compression). IMHO, the Brick is the lowest priced and best sounding low budget "tube" mic preamp, while the FMR RNP is the best sounding low budget solid state budget preamp, and like all the FMR products, possibly has one of of the best price / performance ratios of any pro audio product on the market.

• Members

Well, I got it. I haven't recorded with it yet - hopefully tomorrow I'll try it out and maybe post some samples for everyone to hear. But I did open it up, and my first observation is that the stock tubes are both JJ's: an ECC81 (12AT7) in V1 and an ECC83 S (12AX7) in V2. I had read that at various times they had come with different tubes, but I'm pleased that mine came with JJ's. I upgraded my guitar amp to JJ's (from Eurotubes.com) from stock EH and Sovtek tubes a while back, and it made a big improvement.

• Members

Originally Posted by
UstadKhanAli

TBush, I love the FMR RNPs. As albiedamned points out, they are more "transparent" sounding. They are an excellent value. I own two of them, and have no problem using them right alongside a Neve Portico or Peavey VMP-2. Don't let the FMR's low price point fool you - they are high quality mic preamps.

I've used my RNPs with ribbon mics from BLUE, Cascade, and ShinyBox. They all worked well.
:)
It gives a nice, natural sound. They're quality preamps.

Thanks fellas!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, I stumbled onto this thread the day I brought home a rental UA Solo 610 so I call this fortunate. I was using a Presonus BlueTube and wasn't really thrilled with the results so I thought renting a couple pres would be a good idea before I wrecklessly start spending cash I don't have.

Here's my newbee question. My Presonus only had 1/4" outs which made it brainlessly easy to run into my FMR RNC before I sent it to my audio interface. I like using the RNC for very mild pre-compression as I go into the computer. The UA only has XLR out. Apart from buying an adaptor to convert XLR to 1/4", is there any creative way to send from the UA to the RNC? Thanks.

• Members

GC's return policy is a no questions asked policy. It's pretty awesome.

Apologies to you.

So I spoke with a guy I know at GC about this. They just resell the returns as new gear -- in particularly for stuff that's shipped because they know that's where potential for return is at its lowest. Now *that's* some crooked {censored}.

Hey, I stumbled onto this thread the day I brought home a rental UA Solo 610 so I call this fortunate. I was using a Presonus BlueTube and wasn't really thrilled with the results so I thought renting a couple pres would be a good idea before I wrecklessly start spending cash I don't have.

Here's my newbee question. My Presonus only had 1/4" outs which made it brainlessly easy to run into my FMR RNC before I sent it to my audio interface. I like using the RNC for very mild pre-compression as I go into the computer. The UA only has XLR out. Apart from buying an adaptor to convert XLR to 1/4", is there any creative way to send from the UA to the RNC? Thanks.

No; you'd either need an adapter, or a XLR - 1/4" TRS cable, which you should be able to purchase at any pro audio or music store... or you can buy the raw cable and connectors and make one yourself - if you're handy with a soldering iron. :)

BTW, welcome to HC. :wave:

Ancillary question- anyone like the JoMeek pre's for more aggressive stuff?

I used one 10 years ago, and really don't remember...

I still have two Meeks in my rack, and still use them occasionally. The "color" is more from the compressor and EQ on those, as opposed to the mic preamp. They're not bad at all, but overall, I prefer the FMR RNP / RNLA combo.

Which Joemeek units were you considering?

Apologies to you.

So I spoke with a guy I know at GC about this. They just resell the returns as new gear -- in particularly for stuff that's shipped because they know that's where potential for return is at its lowest. Now *that's* some crooked {censored}.

As has been mentioned, lots of retailers do that. If the item has been opened, tested, found wanting for that user's needs, carefully repackaged and returned for a refund, then retailers will usually resell it. If it's been dinged in the process, many retailers will sell it later as "open box" or demo; in those cases, it will usually carry the full manufacturer warranty, and may be priced a bit lower than normal due to the cosmetic ding.

If you order something and the company sends you a previously opened box and you're unhappy about it, you can usually send it back for an exchange... is that a hassle? Yes - I'd agree with that... but OTOH, it's a bigger hassle to buy something online or in the store, take it home and try it, only to find out it doesn't meet your needs AND that the store won't let you return / exchange it for something else...

...and on SOME products, you usually can't return it under any circumstances. It depends on the vendor, but it's usually safer to assume things like software and microphones are going to be non-returnable.

Whenever possible, IMO people should try things out in their own room, with their own rigs and decide if that product is "right" for them or not... and refund / exchange policies allow us to do that. However, if you damage the product while evaluating it, the store could decide NOT to refund your money, because most return / exchange policies require you to return the gear in original condition, with all packing materials and accessories, paperwork, etc. Even if that wasn't the standard policy, it's just common sense to take care of products that you're evaluating and are unsure of whether or not you're going to return IMO.

• Members

No; you'd either need an adapter, or a XLR - 1/4" TRS cable, which you should be able to purchase at any pro audio or music store... or you can buy the raw cable and connectors and make one yourself - if you're handy with a soldering iron.
:)

BTW, welcome to HC.
:wave:

One drawback is that the RNC's inputs are unbalanced TS not balanced TRS. So you can use an XLR-TRS cable or adapter, or an XLR-TS cable or adapter, but either way you will have a drop in signal and the possibility of picking up interference. This is a big reason why I've never purchased an RNC. All my other gear uses balanced connections.

We've had a few discussions regarding the I/O on the FMR RNC in the past, so anyone who is interested might want to do a search. Two points - I probably should have specified XLR - 1/4 unbalanced - my bad. :o

http://www.fmraudio.com/FAQ.htm#question8

Second point - the RNC works just fine in a "professional" environment. If you're not running 30' cable runs, an unbalanced device or two isn't going to hurt you. ;)

Archived