So I thought teles looked dorky...

Excelsior

• Members

They didn't appeal to me as a kid. I started out with a weird spacey-shaped guitar, played a Ric very briefly, toned down to a Strat for a few years, then finally got my first Tele. It was my main guitar for several years. I subseqently got into LP-style guitars, and now I just go back and forth between Teles and LP-types (plus a few others, like Ric and Gretsch), with the occasional foray into Strats for a change.

BK

• Moderators
Originally posted by DonP

+1000

They still look dorky, retro, and I have yet to try one.

(from Seinfield) "But I don't want to be a cowboy!"

You just {censored}ing daren't try one :D
I always thought they looked like the biggest pile of wanky outdated {censored} ever. Then just from a Keef vibe on the last album, I thought I'd give on a try...............now I have two:cry: and one of them which is a smelly piece of {censored} is perhaps the one guitar I'd find it hardest to part with.

• Members
Originally posted by favata5

There isnt a genre of music that cant be played on one!Forget about yer Jacksons,ESPs.Bc Richs,a Tele can and has done heavy tones too! Blues,Punk,Metal,Rock,Country, Restless native music!! all can be done with what I believe to be the gretaest guitar EVER made!
;)

Not only can it be played by any genre of music, there are stars in every genre of music that play them. Off the top of my head

Rock: Kieth Richards, Bruce Springsteen
Progessive: Steve Morris
Blues: Albert Collins, Roy Buchanan
County: Danny Gatten, Kieth Urban, Red Volkart (and about a million others)
Punk: Joe Strummer

• Members

Well to be frank, I used to be an ultimate pointy guitars lover until recently i assisted building a custom shop tele for a customer of a friend.

Sure, you may laugh, but I have to admit that building one surely require squeezing a lot of mojo to it, compared to building superstrats.

Feeling empty (ha!) after seeing my friend delivered the tele, I decided and therefore built one myself, this time actually is a thinline copy.

I still have not got any chance to take the pics, however I made a matched kisekae pics out of it.

The neck is actually from a strat copy made somewhere in 1982, built as a strat body and tele neck. I have no idea why they built it that way but well after putting it in the new thinline body, it resonates like hell. I guess it is because of the tight neck pocket this time.

Do not care at all if people come to me saying that it looks dorky but it surely delivers the coolest tone I ever produce... It is now my main guitar. Feels good, even for playing '80 metal tunes.

• Members

I had exactly the reaction toward Teles that you describe, for ever so long. I actually wondered WHY Fender bothered to continue the line. One day I said to a friend, "Who even buys those Teles? SOmeone must, but who?"

My friend looked at me as though I were insane. He started speaking a list of musicians who played Teles. Keith Richard, Muddy Waters, and on and on. It was an impressive list, just for off-the-top-of-one's-head talking.

That piqued my interest. So I played one on my next guitar shop visit. I liked it a lot. Then I played some of the American Deluxe Teles, and I *really*, totally liked them. I started playing them (over several visits) with a variety of tube amps. Day-yum.

Now I'm in the process of scrimping and saving to ge able to purchase a 50's Tele with a Bigsby. Ash body, natural finish, made in Japan, awesome and fine sounding, plus my hands love it. I am now a Tele-want-to-be and soon-to-be.

• Members
Originally posted by ArKay

Here's a weird one
:D

dpt-100_big.jpg891177003_OYSTER2.JPGdpt100-hs.jpg

My guitar teacher, who has now moved away, has a Fender Telecaster with that same finish. Altough not on the headstock. It has binding and a rosewood board. It once belonged to Keith Richards and it was the first electric I ever played :love:

• Members

They seem to be associated too much with Country music, but do a little research and lots of Classic Rock was recorded w/ a Tele. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, etc. I got a Tele last year and it turned into my number one player.

• Members

Originally posted by Excelsior

Until I played one.

Seriously, anyone else think so in the past? I'd see pictures, and it looked way too "Retro." I know they're old school, but it seemed like people who wanted one were just doing so for nostalgic reasons.

I was completely wrong. I picked up some beautiful telecasters at guitar center, and played around -- absolutely loved them. I liked the size, the thickness, and the neck on the Fender tele I played was really enjoyable. The $1,200 price tag was not, but otherwise it was great.

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with teles? I can't beleive I was so blown away after always having thought they looked kind of ackward.

no love/hate, just love. i never got into strats because they were too thin and contoured, because the knob kept getting in the way, and despite the 5 way switch i could only detect 2 1/2 tones.

the lp was too thick and heavy.

then i posted here, asking if there were any rocking tele's, and one responder said any one you give me. that set me straight, and i've been a tele guy ever since. and despite the 3 way switch, there are 3 usable tones.

• Members

I never even considered them based on the following:

1. I thought they were only country guitars.
2. I thought they were just Strats without the middle pickup.

I was SOOOOO wrong on both accounts.

Two years ago I had a little money to spend and played every guitar below $400 in the local guitar shop, and the $199 Squier Standard Tele I now own practically jumped off the wall and begged me to play her.

To this day I hold that guitar in the same esteem that I hold my Am. Series and Japanese Strats. Someday I will get around to picking up another Tele, but not because the Squier is bad...just because I want more Teles!

I'd love one of those Squier Pro-Tone '68 Thinline reissues, or a US Made 62 in Seafoam Green with the binding (I think it's a '62 reissue...I could be wrong).

Archived