Who here listens to japanese bands?

Jay 74

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by zenbu

Shonen Knife?

don`t listen to Japanese radio but get a good laugh from a lot of the group names.....nobody gonna mention Bump of Chicken?

There's a great local band here called:

"JACK {censored}"

:D

They're pretty good. I like the posters more though. They're always simple, big block letters:

6/11
JACK {censored}
@
CLUB GREEN

• Members

" I do like Do As Infinity. Very poppy but they have some cool guitar playing and the lead singer, Tomiko Van, is a total babe! "

unfortunately in far too many cases here being a babe is their only " talent "... and they like em young too.

• Members

I saw Acid Mothers Temple a few weeks ago.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!

They make every other band out there look like a bunch of pussies.

50 year old long haired japanese dudes rocking out like they are possed and then telling bizzare stories in broken English.

Guitarist gets crazy HEAVY tones out of a strat and an old plexie.

One of the loudest bands I've ever heard. Earplugs required. But mesmerizing!!

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

unfortunately in far too many cases here being a babe is their only " talent "... and they like em young too.

Tomiko seems to be a pretty good singer, though she's not a great singer. I enjoy the music more than her voice. As for the lack of talent and presense of youth - well that is the status quo for pop music in the US too (Ashlee Simpson being the poster child).

• Members

Mad Capsule Markets - metal with lyrics about invading robots

Melt-Banana - psychotic chihuahua punk (or something) with lyrics about **** knows what

Envy - screamo??

Mono - instrumental indie/rock

Shonen Knife - punk

All fantastic.

• Members

Shoenen Knife were / are great - loved their cover of Daydream Believer.

Really like the 5678s (you're most likely to have seen them in Kill Bill Vol 1 - they're that houseband, real old school garage rock and roll - imagine if Iggy, Johnny Thunders and Tommy Ramone had been 25-30 years younger, and born Japanese schoolgirls and you're headed in the right ballpark).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

the first band that got me into Japanese rock was Do As Infinity as well

later I got into:

Every Little Thing (kinda like DAI as well uses a lot of synthesizers)
B'z
X-Japan
Siam Shade
Sex Machineguns
Anthem
L'arc En Ciel
High And Mighty Color

right now, i'm more into B'z and High And Mighty Color cause some of the bands i like were disbanded, inactive for along time or just plain boring (ie. L'arc En Ciel is way too pop oriented now and seems to aim for screaming widdle girls than being more serious about rock)

• Members

Ban-chan(van tomiko) is a great singer, and DAI puts on one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. Tons of energy, phenominal sound and great chemistry. Ryo Owatari is a very solid guitar player and is VERY underated.

Every Little Thing IS the best show Ive ever seen In my life! Kaori is a beast on stage, and Ichiro is one of the top players in the world.
Ayu would come in at a very close second even though Ayu is the only one I religously go see everytime she's in the Tokyo area.

Archived