What kind of D/A converter do you guys have?

• Members

After reading a lot about how and why D/A conversion is important, I am now in the market for one that will give me accurate playback and accurate sounds I'm getting. I can't afford either of the Rosetta's though that would be nice.

I only need a 2 channel D/A as I never track more than two mics at a time. Can anyone recommend a certain product? I'm trying to sell my Avalon M5 and Rode NTK to fund a good D/A. I'm set on A/D. I own an API A2D, and despite some people's opinions that the converters are just okay- I think they are nuts. It sounds amazing.

Anyhow, I'm looking at Lucid, RME, Apogee Mini series, Benchmark DAC1, and Mytek D/A's. I'd love some feedback from those who have used any of these units. I can't spend much more than $1000 so I'm sure that limits me somewhat. I look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks!:thu:

• Members

I use the Apogee Rosetta 800. I mention this even though it's out of your price range because I think the Apogee Mini-Me (DAC?) is probably quite similar. I really like the converters a lot, especially for the money. And yes, I know the Apogee is an expensive piece of gear, but when you consider that you get 16 quality converters for the money, it's actually a good deal. I got it in the low $2000s. I don't know how much it is now.

• Members

I read in your other thread that your interface is the MBox 2. That has 2 analog inputs (mic/line/di) and a stereo S/PDIF input, correct? If you stick with the MBox, then at best you can get a 2 channel converter and send it to the MBox's S/PDIF. So that right there rules out a lot of the really expensive 8 channel units. Are you planning on sticking with the MBox, or moving to something with ADAT inputs? I don't know if you're a ProTools user or not - if so that obviously limits your choices.

I use the Emu 1616m interface (with Sonar). One of the reasons I got it was because of the reviews which said it had very good converters, however I've never used one of the high end dedicated converters so I can't compare.

• Members

Just to clarify, I only mentioned the Rosetta because I believe the converters are similar to the smaller two-channel Apogee Mini DAC, not because I think he should get the Rosetta.

I use the Apogee Rosetta 800.
I mention this even though it's out of your price range because I think the Apogee Mini-Me (DAC?) is probably quite similar.
I really like the converters a lot, especially for the money. And yes, I know the Apogee is an expensive piece of gear, but when you consider that you get 16 quality converters for the money, it's actually a good deal. I got it in the low $2000s. I don't know how much it is now.

• Members

Converters still confuse me. Not so much what they do, but how you work them into your system. I have a mackie onyx 800r and a tascam fw1884. I am ditching the 1884 for a digi 03. How would I work some better converters than what I will have into my system? I was looking into getting the minimac my self for my vocal, guitar, bass, and overhead work. Not sure how I would use it though.

• Members

Yes I do have the MBOX 2 as my interface. All I need is a 2 channel D/A converter. But my API A2D A/D converter is already connected via SPDIF. So what else are my options?

I read in your other thread that your interface is the MBox 2. That has 2 analog inputs (mic/line/di) and a stereo S/PDIF input, correct? If you stick with the MBox, then at best you can get a 2 channel converter and send it to the MBox's S/PDIF. So that right there rules out a lot of the really expensive 8 channel units. Are you planning on sticking with the MBox, or moving to something with ADAT inputs? I don't know if you're a ProTools user or not - if so that obviously limits your choices.

I use the Emu 1616m interface (with Sonar). One of the reasons I got it was because of the reviews which said it had very good converters, however I've never used one of the high end dedicated converters so I can't compare.

• Members

Converters still confuse me. Not so much what they do, but how you work them into your system. I have a mackie onyx 800r and a tascam fw1884. I am ditching the 1884 for a digi 03. How would I work some better converters than what I will have into my system? I was looking into getting the minimac my self for my vocal, guitar, bass, and overhead work. Not sure how I would use it though.

I'm assuming that you have a Digi003. You would use the toslink (ADAT) optical connection to attach a converter. Your Digi003 manual will have detailed instructions on how to do this, and you'll find it quite easy.

I have a bit of a hybrid studio - I use Yamaha digital mixers (01V96 and 01X) in conjunction with my DAW computers (I have two primary computers in the control room), and stuff gets routed all over the place via mLAN and Lightpipe, so clock sync is a important issue for me.

Besides the converters on the Yamahas, my main converters are a pair of Digidesign 96 I/Os. I also use a Steinberg MI4 and a Yamaha i88X. I clock with either one of the 96's as the master, or with a Lucid GenX6, and occasionally, with an old "blackface" ADAT when I want to varispeed Pro Tools.

• Members

I'm assuming that you have a Digi003. You would use the toslink (ADAT) optical connection to attach a converter. Your Digi003 manual will have detailed instructions on how to do this, and you'll find it quite easy.

003+ is comming really soon. I am still using my FW1884 atm. I am just trying to get my game plan going. If I use the adat can I still use my 8 channel adat preamp?

EDIT: I should also ad that I am more concerned with the A/D converters than the D/A so I am a little off topic here. Sorry. Back to the search function on all the boards for me!

• Members

Yes I do have the MBOX 2 as my interface. All I need is a 2 channel D/A converter. But my API A2D A/D converter is already connected via SPDIF. So what else are my options?

The API is A-D only, right? So you're only using the S/PDIF in connection on your MBox? If so, then you can get a 2 channel D-A converter and connect it to the S/PDIF out on your MBox.

• Members

I have the Benchmark DAC1. It sounds great. However, I cant say i directly compared it to the other units you are considering. I bought it when it was first released at $875. Todays version accomodates 192K sampling ( not important to me) and lists for over $1500. Yikes.

However, if you are getting to the point of investing in such improvements you probably need to ensure that your room acoustics are up to snuff as much as possible. If, like many home project guys (myself included) you work in a small room, this is a big deal. You wont realize the full benefit of Great DA conversion in a poor listening environment.

• Members

003+ is comming really soon. I am still using my FW1884 atm. I am just trying to get my game plan going. If I use the adat can I still use my 8 channel adat preamp?

Hopefully I'm understanding you correctly. If you have an 8-mic preamp device with an ADAT optical output, then the answer is yes! You would plug that into your Digi003's optical port and you should be good to go.

• Members

Hopefully I'm understanding you correctly. If you have an 8-mic preamp device with an ADAT optical output, then the answer is yes! You would plug that into your Digi003's optical port and you should be good to go.

Yes. I have that hooked up to my adat already on the FW1884. If I run that preamp it takes up all of the adat available right? I have been looking into the RME 2 channel SPDIF unit so I don't even have to worry about this though.

• Members

Yes. I have that hooked up to my adat already on the FW1884. If I run that preamp it takes up all of the adat available right?

Yes, for all the signals going into your Digi003's inpu8t.

Yes. You do, of course, have an optical output on the Digi, so you could use that for your digital-to-analog conversion if you want.

I have been looking into the RME 2 channel SPDIF unit so I don't even have to worry about this though.

Yup. You can have two more (stereo) inputs through the S/PDIF port.

• Members

I monitor using the DA on the Dangerous Dbox. If you want high quality DA, monitor level control and switching, headphone amps, talkback, and 8 channels of summing, you can do a lot worse than the Dbox.

Could you compare the DBox to any of the other converters mentioned? How much do they run? New, used?

• Members

Yes, for all the signals going into your Digi003's inpu8t.

Yes. You do, of course, have an optical
output
on the Digi, so you could use that for your digital-to-analog conversion if you want.

Yup. You can have two more (stereo) inputs through the S/PDIF port.

Thanks man, you are like a super help lately. I wish I could award you some kind of helpers prize or something haha. Thanks a lot though man, I really appreciate all your help with everything.

• Members

Could you compare the DBox to any of the other converters mentioned? How much do they run? New, used?

New, they're about $1400. I haven't seen any used yet. I use the Dbox DA in lieu of the DA on the Digi 192. The difference is subtle, but then again, the 192 is a way better converter than many give it credit for.

• Members

For individual track outputs we have 48 channels of iZ D/A and 32 channels of Apogee DA-16X... the main "2-Mix" is monitored through a Crane Song LTD. "Avocet".

Once you have experienced excellent converters then it's really hard to go back to "less than excellent" converters.

[bTW, 24 of the iZ channels are the output of the RADAR... and while that can be used with both our Logic and the P-T "HD" system we're checking out it's mainly dedicated to what's coming off the RADAR... while we use the iZ "ADA" system for additional outputs from the DAW's and/or hardware inserts. The Apogee's are used mainly for the DAW systems and for ancillary hardware inserts to the DAW's... while it's rare that we ever run out of channels for conversion... it has happened in the past]

Peace.

• Members

You should seriously check out the Apogee Mini DAC. I'm going to get one of these. Like you I only need to the D/A side of the equation. I called and talked to Apogee about it and the tech guy there said that the converters in the Mini DAC are actually better than the Rosetta series. Can anyone here confirm this?

Archived