Gibson guitars are Emo, Punk, Hardcore guitars

Banded-Morwong

• Members

Or so it seems.

I went through some issues of several guitar magazines that i buy.

And in every single photo of someone that plays in an Emo, Punk or Hardcore band they were playing a Gibson SG, A Gibson Les Paul or another companies Les Paul (ESP etc etc)

Why is this? All three of these genre's are very fashion orientated, so are these guitars part of the essential accesories??

• Members

Originally posted by Banded-Morwong

Or so it seems.

And in every single photo of someone that plays in an Emo, Punk or Hardcore band they were playing a Gibson SG, A Gibson Les Paul or another companies Les Paul (ESP etc etc)

Why is this? All three of these genre's are very fashion orientated, so are these guitars part of the essential accesories??

i think you've already answered your own question.

its all about fashion. and lifestyle.

• Members

wow... ummm,

Les Pauls and SG's are the only guitars with humbuckers?

you said "or another companies les paul design".... ESP dont make les pauls, they make singlecut dual humbucker guitars....

I dont follow, listen to or even remotely enjoy emo. But it seems most MTV mainstream bands as such are usualy playing Gibson/PRS dual humbucker guitars. Kind of fitting since these are the major players in the non metal oriented market for dual humbucker guitars. Of course theres always the smaller companies, Dean, Hamer, etc but they are more obscure and not many stores carry their higher end models. So I can see why people would immediately be drawn to the easily accessible/recognizeable Gibson/PRS formula.

• Members

i think the SG is really turning into a punk/emo guitar.( I wish emo painful death)

ESPs seem to be showing up in a lot of hardcore bands lately.

with a lot of them being realitively cheaper and being loaded with EMGs, its a really good deal.

I love mine!

• Members

Originally posted by mattoverb

Most bands in general have had someone that plays a les paul or sg

They're popular good guitars what do you expect

I dont appreciate your reasonable thought process. CANT YOU SEE THE CONSPIRACY MAN!! ITS ALL ABOUT EMO, GIBSON QC, THE US POSTAL SERVICE, JEWS, AND MEL GIBSON!:wave:

• Members

Or so it seems.

Hmm, Gibsons are popular for rock bands of all stripes, it seems to me. Alchemist is right.

Conversely, I play in a punk rock band. I have 2 Gibsons out of 19 electrics. A lot of them aren't Les Pauls/SG's or clones of those.

188512407_8a37548044_m.jpg94152145_373b9f3161_m.jpg

90598563_113a47e647_m.jpg89322043_f6ac1ee01c_m.jpg

71021519_a6a90ee6d3_m.jpg64187964_178d5e6b9c_m.jpg

64208937_f659426fdf_m.jpg64187965_109d547812_m.jpg

• Members

Or so it seems.

I've watched quite a few country video's with LP's and SG's(I stopped channel surfing for the women :thu: ) and they are using a lot of Gibson's. They seem like they use them as a fashion statement more than anyone else. They seem to hold them more than they play them.

• Members

Or so it seems.

That actually is a pretty accurate observation. I would assume they use Gibson guitars to be taken more seriously as musicians, to show that they're not only about fashion and trends, but they're also about the music. AFI's guitarists have pretty much always used Gibsons. Plus Gibsons just sound better than anything else. :thu:

Gibsons are also immensely popular in Black Metal, which I would again assume is to be taken more seriously as musicians.

• Members

Or so it seems.

Jazz and blues guitarists play les pauls too. I guess it just has to do with what sounds good to the person with the axe. But I understand your observation.

• Members

Yes. Pretty much all of those bands are trying to fill in the rock niche, and nothing screams "legit" as much as a Gibson does. Watch MTV, all of these trendy bands indeed play Gibson.

Now... How about all those retro pop/mod bands that are popular right now? They all play telecasters. :freak:

Strats seemingly are missing from the commercial music right now.

ESP seems to own the metal genre at the moment, though. Which is kind of cool -- They build some awesome guitars. Maybe in 20 years they'll be considered classics or something? :confused:

• Members

wait... i thought gibsons were 80s rock guitars :confused: :confused:

seriously who gives a rats ass. gibsons are universal in appeal, they're good guitars and they aren't 'emo guitars' nor are they 'hard rock guitars'. they're the everyman guitar.

Archived