What sounds like a tele but doesn't look like a tele?

mparsons

• Members

I love the tones you can get from a maple fretboard tele ( ash especially ) but I don't like the look. Any guitars that sound that good but don't have the look?

Also if they have humbuckers, that's even better as single coils aren't versatile enough for me.

• Members
Originally posted by mparsons

Looks alright but its a Gibson so its probably got a mahogany body and a shorter scale.

Nope, maple body. But the scale I can't help you on. I did an eBay search for ebony fretboard, figuring that would sound the most like maple, and that's one of the first that popped up. Didn't know you were 'scale-sensitive'. Go do your own search, you might be surprised what jumps out. Good luck.

• Members

Thing is I like tight strings, and I tune down a whole step, so it is very difficult for me to get a feel I like on a 24.75". I can definitely play it but I won't enjoy it as much.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for stuff.

• Members

Part of the tele sound is something that no other guitar has, the huge lump of metal that is the bridge plate which the pickup is mounted to. Without that it will never sound like a tele.

I was the same as you, I thought they were the ugliest things ever created but loved the sound of them. Now I've got two and love them for what they are.

• Members

So you don't want a Tele at all. You want an ash bodied guitar with maple fretboard, 25.5" scale and humbuckers.

If not for the humbuckers, I'd recommend this non-Tele clone:
269784.jpg

Can't think of anything else. Maybe you could custom order a Carvin. You could get a Bolt Plus with the specs you want for probably less than $900.

• Members
Originally posted by u6crash

So you don't want a Tele at all. You want an ash bodied guitar with maple fretboard, 25.5" scale and humbuckers.

If not for the humbuckers, I'd recommend this non-Tele clone:

269784.jpg

Can't think of anything else. Maybe you could custom order a Carvin. You could get a Bolt Plus with the specs you want for probably less than $900.

I was just about to post the parker myself

Archived