• Members

Will check Reaper soon, just have an odd week going on, meeting some blood relatives for the first time soon...

Two things I like to do a lot is play a nearly perfect part and one note or phrase got a bit rushed or behind, is it easy to cut around a note or phrase and slide it a bit ahead or behind in time? Also, sometimes get this great vocal take and one note is a tad sharp or flat. Can you highlight the note and do the up or down cents thing in Reaper? Is it easy and do it sound cool?

Other than that, just need to sing and play! :)

• Members

Two things I like to do a lot is play a nearly perfect part and one note or phrase got a bit rushed or behind, is it easy to cut around a note or phrase and slide it a bit ahead or behind in time?

Oh yeah, ridiculously easy. Does automatic crossfades and the whole deal.

Also, sometimes get this great vocal take and one note is a tad sharp or flat. Can you highlight the note and do the up or down cents thing in Reaper? Is it easy and do it sound cool?

Not only can you do that, but there's even an Autotune plugin included with it. It will tell you which notes are off and you can tell it to correct them, and "draw" the correction so that it sounds smooth. It also has automatic pitch correction, but of course just manually doing it to whichever notes you want sounds more natural.

• Members

Wow after a very quick test I found the new version to be sweet. I did not notice there was a auto tune plug in with it....hmmm I will have to check that out.

I also agree with the ease of wave editing, it is a snap. I also love the dark black reaper look!

• Members

Wow after a very quick test I found the new version to be sweet. I did not notice there was a auto tune plug in with it....hmmm I will have to check that out.

It's called ReaTune. There's also ReaPitch which is for pitch shifting an entire clip.

I also agree with the ease of wave editing, it is a snap. I also love the dark black reaper look!

Yeah, the new default interface is a huge improvement! And many user created skins will follow I'm sure.

• Members

How do you get the program to show a pic of the instrument on the track?

Right click on the track, or select it and go to the Track menu, and select "Set Track Icon..." There are a bunch of defaults, but you can use any pic you want, and users have contributed a lot of icons on the forums.

• Members

Yeah, I have to say that's something I never would have thought of (track icons), but it's
very
useful. Makes it easy to find a particular track among a lot of 'em.

See? Now you can stop putting strange ASCII art in the tracks' "Comments" sections.

• Members

Not quite the same thing as elastic audio or warping audio... but cool nonetheless.

It doesn't work quite the same way, but you can accomplish the same things, between using tempo and pitch stretching, and dynamic splitting.

• Members

Hey Phil was wishing for varispeed and doesn't Reaper have that?
It's one of the few things left on my "gee, I wish Pro Tools had that" wish list.
:(

Phil, as you know, one of the enhancements in PT 8 was elastic pitch (along with elastic time, which appeared in 7.4). And "Varispeed" is listed as a mode within Elastic Audio. So can you clarify what kind of "varispeed" is still missing from PT? Just so I can get the terms sorted out in my own head? :) Thanks.

varispeed.jpg

Hi Jon...

What I'd like to see in Pro Tools is a universal pitch control or varispeed control. Something similar to the varispeed control on a analog 2" 24 track, or on some workstations, such as the Yamaha AW4416. Turn that single knob, and the speed and pitch of everything drops or increases.

Unless I'm missing something, there's no quick and easy way to use varispeed in Pro Tools 8 while tracking - for the old trick of dropping the "tape speed" of all the tracks so that a singer can more easily hit a note that is just out of their range, or for the other old trick of changing the timbre of a vocalist; ala McCartney's vocals on say, Here There And Everywhere.

The way I've been getting around the lack of a single universal varispeed control in Pro Tools is to slave it to the word clock of an Alesis ADAT, and then using the varispeed on that to lower or raise the playback speed as desired.

If you know of a simple way to use the Elastic Audio varispeed feature to accomplish these sorts of things, please share! I'll owe you one if you do. :cool:

• Members

What I'd like to see in Pro Tools is a universal pitch control or varispeed control. Something similar to the varispeed control on a analog 2" 24 track, or on some workstations, such as the Yamaha AW4416. Turn that single knob, and the speed and pitch of
everything
drops or increases.

Gotcha. I am, unfortunately, well old enough to know of -- and have practiced -- the analog tape manipulations you mention. I once produced a recording project of novelty songs that involved both the "chipmunk" and "Darth Vader" vocal effects. So I dropped the speed of the deck to half-speed for recording the "chipmunk" part, having written out beforehand the rhythms of the vocal parts to be twice as long as their original values. Then I sang or spoke the parts. When I dialed the knob back up to normal-speed play, my voice was an octave higher in pitch, but in the desired rhythm. Watch out, David Seville! (For Darth, I did the converse: sped up the machine to record rhythms at half the original values.)

For me, the chipmunk effect was harder than Darth, because I had to sing everything at twice the duration, requiring more breath and greater accuracy (had to have the click).

I've also done this on barbershop arrangements (when I used to write them and include sample segments of vocal recordings for reference). I couldn't quite hit the low notes in the bass voice of many arrangements, so I simply sped up the deck until the arrangements transposed up to a pitch I could reach. Of course, the vocal formants come out a little hinky this way, but if you're careful, you can work around it (either when recording or in post). You have to especially watch for sibilants, as they're distracting when dragged out, once you slow the machine back down.

So I sure do know what you mean by "varispeed," in this sense, and I'm certain you can't emulate that in PT. At least not as easy as flipping that big knob on my tape deck. I just didn't know that other DAWs (like Reaper, apparently, from the earlier post) could do this.

So I sure do know what you mean by "varispeed," in this sense, and I'm certain you can't emulate that in PT. At least not as easy as flipping that big knob on my tape deck. I just didn't know that other DAWs (like Reaper, apparently, from the earlier post) could do this.

I've run across varispeed controls on a few digital workstations, and apparently at least one DAW program (Reaper) features it... and like you, I'm old enough to have done it back in the "analog" era; as you said, sometimes those formant and timbrel changes can be used for creative effect, which is why I miss having it on my main recording medium today.

• Members

I don't know what you guys are talking about - "old enough to have done it in the analog era." I'm still in the analog era, and I just did this last week. :lol:

But I've done it in my AW4416 and in Reaper, too. In fact I recorded some bagpipes in a large church using Reaper and my laptop. The base tracks are in A, and bagpipes are tuned slightly below A, closer to Bb. So I just tuned the track to the bagpipes with varispeed and away we went. :) Matter of fact it's almost TOO easy to hit varispeed, given where it's located on the Reaper screen. I've nudged it accidentally a few times. :D

Archived