Vocal processor Sound like your favorite singer

• Members

Lets assume a singer wants to write a song in the style of Alice In Chains, is their processors available that uses Alice In chains vocal sound? Or I want to sound like Frank Sinatra, is there a processor that will allow me to sound like Frank Sinatra? I know there are pitch correctors, harmonizers but have they developed the technology to allow anyone to sound like their favorite singers? This would be really great for songwriters, don't you think? A great money maker as well...

Richyrox.com

• Members

I know the Digitech Vocalist has some settings that will turn a male vocal into a female vocal, and there are a few other funny effects. But there is really no way to do this without sounding fake.

I like the idea of a person sounding like themselves.

dk

I'm not aware of any software that does what you're looking for.

Frankly, unless there was a way to totally disregard and / or analyze the source vocal first, I don't know how you could do it. IOW, the sound of the source vocal is the starting point... in order to manipulate that into "Sinatra's tone" (setting aside other issues such as phrasing, enunciation, accent, feel and timing, etc. - all of which are just as critical as timbre is), you have to analyze both before you can even think of morphing one into the other.

IMO, if you want the sound of Sinatra, you'd have to dig him up... or find someone who could do a good impersonation. IMO, it's all about the source - and if the source isn't Sinatra, or doesn't sound like him, you'll be fruitlessly chasing your tail trying to achieve that later.

• Members

It'd be a great money maker, you are right. And I'm not anti-technology or old-fashioned, but I have to say, that's one technology I hope is never developed. To render someone's uniqueness and talent and personality moot would be horrible, in my opinion.

• Members

Butch is doing a "one month guest shot"... there have been a bunch of them... I did one of the first "guest shots" with EveAnna Manley. We had a blast.

Neither here nor there but there is this little thought that perhaps you should endeavor to work with the singer to make THAT singer sound like one of the world's new "classic vocalists".

There already was a Sinatra, a Tony Bennett, a Mick Jagger, a Bono, a David Lee Roth (or Sammy Hagar depending on your personal favorite era), Steven Tyler, Bonnie Rait (etc., etc., etc.).

NONE of them sound like anyone but them... which is why they had a career and guys who sound like someone else work in cover and/or "tribute" bands.

I realize it's many people's goal to sound like someone else... but in reality the only way to have an actual career is to sound like the best "yourself" that you can be!!

Peace.

I realize it's many people's goal to sound like someone else... but in reality the only way to have an actual career is to sound like the best "yourself" that you can be!!

Recently, Craig Anderton, in response to me saying I was "no George Massenburg" said something along the lines of "he's no Phil O'Keefe either". As you know Fletcher, my respect for GM is boundless, so I'm not trying to make comparisons here... but it does illustrate your point - while it's fine to learn from, and to a degree, emulate our heroes, even as engineers and producers, we need to find our own unique "voice".

Archived