Walmart Guitars

burton4snow

• Members

I played one that wasn't too bad, could do worse. The company's name is First Act and they do make some high end instruments, but personally even if the instrument was awesome still wouldn't want it to say First Act on it, I'd probably put duct tape over it or sand it off.

• Members

Imagine my surprise when I saw an actual Gibson guitar sold at Circuit City (well, it said Gibson on it). Here's the link:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetIt.do?oid=132428&catOid=-13242&zip=null&userClick=SHIPPING&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&N=20012841+20013238+20013242&BV_SessionID=@@@@2031386055.1154894973@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddaddihliigmhcfngcfkmdffhdfkl.0

An SG copy, but not quite like the Epi model, I think.

• Members

I don't care so muchabout what status I have. I'm just want to be able to put a picture under my name of my favorite guitarist. To pay omage to them. Someone told me it takes 100 posts to do that. Don't get me wrong this forum is awesome and I don't want to disrespect it. I you look at my questions you will see I am truly seeking imformation I can use. Of course this reply makes one more post closer to 100 but hey look at the heartfelt sincerity in it.

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

I don't care so muchabout what status I have. I'm just want to be able to put a picture under my name of my favorite guitarist. To pay omage to them. Someone told me it takes 100 posts to do that. Don't get me wrong this forum is awesome and I don't want to disrespect it. I you look at my questions you will see I am truly seeking imformation I can use. Of course this reply makes one more post closer to 100 but hey look at the heartfelt sincerity in it.

just go to Open Jam and argue about nothing for 10 minutes, you'll be there

the WalMart First Act guitars are very unimpressive -- the stuff from the First Act store and Custom shop is suppused to be quite nice - they certainly have some interesting and cool designs

• Members

Originally posted by UFOScorpion

Imagine my surprise when I saw an actual Gibson guitar sold at Circuit City (well, it said Gibson on it). Here's the link:

An SG copy, but not quite like the Epi model, I think.

Not a gibson.

They are miserable guitars.

When I was trying to play one at CC, I saw a young couple walk up (this was around christmas time) and heard the wife suggest that it would be a good christmas present for their son.

I wish I had told them not to buy it, but I decided not to interfere.

Probably should have in hindsight, because now there's a kid out there who wants to play guitar but can't because the neck turned into a corkscrew.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarkid14

well they are crap...the end

paul westerberg begs to differ.

firstact0806.jpg

so, the 13yr old with wisdom beyond his years states that they are crap, but a world-traveled touring musician with about a dozen albums under his belt finds them just fine to perform with. the First Act showcase is not the only gig he's done with those guitars, either. since first encountering one while touring awhile back, its been getting a lot/most of the play time for his live stuff.

from this, we can see that it may in fact depend on the player as to their worth.

oh wow, just came across this....

westerberg_gtr.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

firstact0806.jpg

so, the 13yr old with wisdom beyond his years states that they are crap, but a world-traveled touring musician with about a dozen albums under his belt finds them just fine to perform with. the First Act showcase is not the only gig he's done with those guitars, either. since first encountering one while touring awhile back, its been getting a lot/most of the play time for his live stuff.

from this, we can see that it may in fact depend on the player as to their worth.

oh wow, just came across this....

westerberg_gtr.jpg

did he get that at WalMart?

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

did he get that at WalMart?

no, thats the new FA PW sig guitar :eek: :eek: :eek:

he's a pretty big fan of them, from before there was any talk of 'sig' stuff, when he was just buying $89 guitars by choice. when he did the Boston showcase, he opted to go with that guitar pictured in the live shot, not some custom-built special-design thing from the FA bench (which was also an option).

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

firstact0806.jpg

Paul is one of my favorite songwriters but I think he'd be the first one to admit he isn't a great guitarist and would probably laugh hysterically at the prospect of endorsing any guitar.

'Zactly.

BTW: He looks like {censored}.

FWIW: For the money, I'd take an Agile over a First Act anyday.

• Members

Thanks guys. The specs I've seen are:

Chambered semi-hollow body and flamed maple top

Maple neck & Rosewood fretboard

Volume, tone, and pickup blend knobs

24 frets, string through body (w/ a substantial looking bridge), and some sort of locking tuners.

There's not a whole lot of info out there on it, so I'll post all the info in a week or two.

• Members

Originally posted by Bmajor

Paul is one of my favorite songwriters but I think he'd be the first one to admit he isn't a great guitarist and would probably laugh hysterically at the prospect of endorsing any guitar.

'Zactly.

BTW: He looks like {censored}.

FWIW: For the money, I'd take an Agile over a First Act anyday.

i'm quite certain he'd be the first to admit that he's not a mountain of tech prowess --- but still he's been playing guitar (among other things) for a living for 20+ years. regardless of his mastery of scales or whatever, he's got the intelligence to pick a guitar that can do the job that he's been hired to do. turns out that that guitar happens to be an $89 slab, thats maybe been modded, but i wouldnt bet the farm on it.

and yeah, the whole concept of a PW sig guitar is beyond laughable, but to some certain extent its like, well, he inspired me to put a lot more hours in on my guitar. that its First Act, well, theres much irony there than should be allowed.

as for the Agile vs. FA, any guitar that feels/sounds good to me is worth playing or purchase, regardless of brand name. guitars is guitars, imho, and a good one is a good one. :thu:

Archived