Walmart Guitars

burton4snow

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

I don't care so muchabout what status I have. I'm just want to be able to put a picture under my name of my favorite guitarist. To pay omage to them. Someone told me it takes 100 posts to do that. Don't get me wrong this forum is awesome and I don't want to disrespect it. I you look at my questions you will see I am truly seeking imformation I can use. Of course this reply makes one more post closer to 100 but hey look at the heartfelt sincerity in it.

uhh, you can do that right away, your first day

• Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

Skip Walmart, save up for an Esteban.
:D

I saw my first ever esteban commercial on TV last week. It was on around 1 am, forget which channel (i want to say CBS but i might be wrong). Looked pretty {censored}ing hilarious, especially the way they were hyping up that POS amp you get with it.

• Members
Originally posted by RudeMood

I just bought one of their top of the line studio series guitars (ME701). I picked it up for $150 w/HSC.
:cool:
I'll let you know how it plays when it gets here.

mx701_studiosrseguitar.jpg

That's way cool - where did you find it for $150 with HSC?

My birthday is Friday - and Mom keeps asking me what I would like to have. :D

Plus I'm on jury duty this week - in wonderful, scenic Newark, NJ.

I NEED a present after a week in that {censored}in' insane asylum.

:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by Kingsnake

That's way cool - where did you find it for $150 with HSC?

My birthday is Friday - and Mom keeps asking me what I would like to have.
:D

Plus I'm on jury duty this week - in wonderful, scenic Newark, NJ.

I NEED a present after a week in that {censored}in' insane asylum.

:mad:

Well, happy early birthday! :wave:

I found mine on eBay. It was listed as a First Act Cordova, but I didn't see that name on First Act's website so I don't know if it's right or not. I don't see any for sale online anywhere right now though. :(

• Members

Well, happy early birthday!
:wave:

I found mine on eBay. It was listed as a First Act Cordova, but I didn't see that name on First Act's website so I don't know if it's right or not. I don't see any for sale online anywhere right now though.
:(

Thank you kindly, sir. ;)

That is a pretty lookin' guitar - I'm jealous.

Let us know how she sounds - and post some pics if you have a chance.

• Members
Originally posted by Kingsnake

Thank you kindly, sir.
;)

That is a pretty lookin' guitar - I'm jealous.

Let us know how she sounds - and post some pics if you have a chance.

Thanks, I'll add some pics and a review in a week or two.

• Members

Last year I spent a few weeks at Berklee College in Boston. There was a First Act retail/custom shop down the street. I have to say that while those wal-mart guitars are crap, I saw some of the most beautiful and original custom work there. The inlay jobs were amazing and crafstmanship was flawless. I played a less expensive guitar of the wall (still over $1000!) and it seemed to be alright.

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

paul westerberg begs to differ.

firstact0806.jpg

so, the 13yr old with wisdom beyond his years states that they are crap, but a world-traveled touring musician with about a dozen albums under his belt finds them just fine to perform with. the First Act showcase is not the only gig he's done with those guitars, either. since first encountering one while touring awhile back, its been getting a lot/most of the play time for his live stuff.

from this, we can see that it may in fact depend on the player as to their worth.

oh wow, just came across this....

westerberg_gtr.jpg

i meant the walmart first acts...

i know that the upper line ones arent bad at all...

i was commenting on the walmart ones

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, that ME720 is pretty damn cool lookin'.

I got the guitar last week, but hadn't posted anything yet because I haven't had a chance to snap any pics...and we know how well that goes over. :freak:

I'm pleased with it so far though. It's my only semi hollow guitar and it's very resonant and lively. I like the pickups too, they're not as hot as I was expecting (which is a good thing). After my recent experience with the Nashville Tele, I took this one completely apart when I got it. I was surprised to see that the back, sides, and center block are all made from a single piece of wood (not sure what kind though) and it has a nice top with ~1/16" flamed maple veneer.

The neck is my favorite part though. It's got two skunk stripes (not painted on) that run the entire length of the neck. I'm not sure if this is a 5 piece neck or what. It's got nice cream binding on the neck and on the top and back of the body. The nut was cut very nice and with a little adjustment to the truss rod I was able to set it up with very low, buzz-free action.

I'm not too happy with the tuners so far. They're locking tuners (no brand marking) but they go out of tune fairly easy. And the pots are pretty terrible...they'll be the first things to go. But overall...I'm happy with it. The tweed HSC made it a pretty good deal.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

• Members
Originally posted by PolyFmorf

Who needs GC and the Mom & Pops when we now have Wal-Mart and Best Buy
:thu:

I like Walmart because they have real musicians there and I can get expert advice and guidance.

I also use Walmart for all my psychiatric needs. They have a Hoodoo service that is very inexpensive.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I like Walmart because they have real musicians there and I can get expert advice and guidance.

I also use Walmart for all my psychiatric needs. They have a Hoodoo service that is very inexpensive.

..wal mart. mayn thats the place to be when your drunk i tell you that much at night.

• Members

Everyone has to start on a piece of crap. I think its best that they have crap guitars out there because when you start playing and decide its what you want to do, you normally research into guitars more. Thats when you find out that your guitar is crap and you upgrade to something better.

• Members

Yeah, that ME720 is pretty damn cool lookin'.

I got the guitar last week, but hadn't posted anything yet because I haven't had a chance to snap any pics...and we know how well that goes over.
:freak:

I'm pleased with it so far though. It's my only semi hollow guitar and it's very resonant and lively. I like the pickups too, they're not as hot as I was expecting (which is a good thing). After my recent experience with the Nashville Tele, I took this one completely apart when I got it. I was surprised to see that the back, sides, and center block are all made from a single piece of wood (not sure what kind though) and it has a nice top with ~1/16" flamed maple veneer.

The neck is my favorite part though. It's got two skunk stripes (not painted on) that run the entire length of the neck. I'm not sure if this is a 5 piece neck or what. It's got nice cream binding on the neck and on the top and back of the body. The nut was cut very nice and with a little adjustment to the truss rod I was able to set it up with very low, buzz-free action.

I'm not too happy with the tuners so far. They're locking tuners (no brand marking) but they go out of tune fairly easy. And the pots are pretty terrible...they'll be the first things to go. But overall...I'm happy with it. The tweed HSC made it a pretty good deal.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

sounds cool - look forward to pics :thu:

Archived