Soundcraft EPM8 or Mackie 1402 VLZ3 or Yamaha MG166C

• Members

I need opinions - I've got a blown Alesis Studio 24 mixer that I want to replace. These all have the features I like and but I need to know the sound quality.

If you have either model, please post your reviews so I can get an idea which one to order.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I like the Mackies. I've owned a few 1202s over the years ad alway keep one around regradless of what else I'm using to record with. They're like a Swiss Army Knife. Submixes, extra pres in a crunch... it always comes in handy.

As a sole recording mixer they're fine too. We're not talking Neve or API here, of course, but it will get the job done without any excuses. I can't compare to the other models mentioned but I will say, the Mackie stuff is built like a tank. Buy one an you'll be able to hold onto it for a long time and use even if you move past it in a few years.

• Members

I have both Yamaha and Soundcraft mixers and a Mackie that I swear I will try and make work one of these years....

The Soundcraft has great quiet mic preamps, the Yamaha has good clean preamps AND buit in single knob compression, which is a pretty useful tool (I have the MG206C) for bass and drums.

So...my recommendation would be to get the Yamaha mixer and be happy.

Nothing wrong with Mackie, just the fact they cost too much compared to other mixers that are as good or better.

Archived