Decent Pedals $150 and below

burton4snow

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

looking for slap echoe, reverb, phaser, overdrive, distortion, tremolo. What are your opinions for the best of these in this price range.

Anything other than Boss, they tend to sound very solid state, synthetic, and fake.

• Members

looking for slap echoe, reverb, phaser, overdrive, distortion, tremolo. What are your opinions for the best of these in this price range.

Going on the basis of pedals priced at that level or below on the UK (so likely half that price again in the US!):

Slap Echo..... DanElectro Slap Back Delay (? Don't recall the exact name...)

Reverb - personally, I like the E-H Holy Grail. Danelectro have a nice unit too, but i think it's way over that budget.

Phaser - I have a DOD, a retro reissue in the same box style as the yellow OD 250 (?), the Yngwie pedal, and so on. Fantastic sound, just noe knob - quite Phase 90.

Overdrive - BAD MONKEY!!

Distortion - eh.... I'm not sure, I'm not personally interested in distortion beyond a trad overdrive, so I'm no real expert here, but I'd try something from the Digitech range based on experience with the Bad Monkey and the Screaming blues pedals.

Tremolo - I'm very, very happy with my Guyatone tremolo - nice warm vintage warble.

FWIW, I've also always had good experience with Boss too - personal tastes vary, but I find that with some tweaking and a little patience to find the right sounds, they needn't sound sterile or overly modern at all.

• Members

Ahhh, a person that is not looking for the latest, trendiest, "flavour-of-the-week" boutique stuff - i thought i was the only one left !??

Here are a few very good products as i have the same price-range as you, and thus own most of 'em !

* Delay w. Slapback Echo - best value of money - PERIOD !!! :thu:

* Reverb sounds fantastic - althought i tend to use the 'verb of my Fender amp more these days.

* Phaser only heard very good thing of this one - i do not own a phaser !

* Tremelo - the ONLY trem i'll ever buy. Best bang for your buck :thu:

* OverDrive - my fav OD by a country mile !

* OD & Dist Best 2-in-1 i own. From light OD, to classic rock distortion :evil:

* Distortion - i am not a big dist. fan. I tend to prefur the dist. of the amp, like that od the Mesa F30, or any other gain channel. If i have to choose a dist. stomp-box, it is a very expensive one, and i actually do have serios GAS for one :

Just too expensive for me:cry: - i tested this wonder-box with a Peavey Classic 30 and just fell in love with it !!!

** The "outside horse", that you might want to look into. They go very cheap on eBay these days !
The "trendies" are selling theirs, as they want the "latest-greatest" !:rolleyes:

But i do recommend you look into this one too !
I WANT ONE !!!

Hope all of this could point you into some direction.
Feel free to ask questions, as i have most of these myself !

;)

• Members

Unlike a previous poster, who generalized all Boss products as bad, I like the Boss phaser and tremolo pedals. Never been to big on their reverb pedals though. I owned a RV-3 (it was a gift) and hated the delay and reverb in it. I've never really liked any reverb I've heard that came from a single effect floor unit. I like my Gt-8s reverb, and I like the reverb in several different rack units and amps.

Everyone and their mother makes overdrive and distortion pedals in that price range...go forth and shop!

Although I was trying to resist the urge to say it, you're sounding like you're about to dump $900 on pedals. I'd look carefully at the big multi-fx units (Boss, Vox, Digitech etc etc) and save some bucks or going full out to get some rack mounted gear.

I wish I had $900 to play with...have fun!

• Members

What are your opinions for the best of these in this price range.

seriously, go over to the effects forum and just start reading threads. You are going to get as many different answers and there are people over here. just pick out the most talked about pedals over there, go check out their reviews and pick the one you think will sound like what you want. its just as good a solution to finding something as anyting else.

• Members

Originally posted by cincy_cosmo

Although I was trying to resist the urge to say it, you're sounding like you're about to dump $900 on pedals. I'd look carefully at the big multi-fx units (Boss, Vox, Digitech etc etc) and save some bucks or going full out to get some rack mounted gear.

I wish I had $900 to play with...have fun!

Actually, that's a really good call, i didn't think of it like that. I'd suggest looking especially at the Pods and the Vox ToneLab. The Tonelab SE might be better as it is designed to be used as a floorpedal - also, with the amp sims and preamp cabability, at a push it can be used straight to PA should that ever be necessariyl due to an amp gonig on the blink.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

Get ALL of them, for under $150:

yamahadgstomp.jpg

Honestly I kinda have to agree. Since you wanna run so many pedals, it'll be pretty heavily processed anyway, so I would just suggest going for some kind of multi-effects. I would suggest staying away from DigiTech, though, because I have one of their multi-effects units, and it's total {censored}, IMO. DigiTech's effects sound like toys. I would recommend a Line 6 multi-effects, maybe something like the PodXT.

266299.jpg

$300 new on Musician's Friend. :thu:

• Members

I have to agree, dont buy a boss pedal.

I would also have to say dont buy a phaser, I've had one for years now and Its incredibly useless.

I would probably go with a tremolo or delay pedal. If you dont have one, I hear bad monkey or tube screamer is good for overdrive.

• Members
Originally posted by FLYING V 83

www.Tonefactor.com

Brad will hook you up with good stuff.

My mom just placed an order for a Barber Direct Drive through ToneFactor for my birthday present...now I just need to wait until the end of the month!

Seriously, if you're looking at $150 per pedal, you CAN look into some boutique stuff, not just the regular Boss/Digitech fare. ToneFactor has a bunch of ODs under $150. I'm not saying they're necessarily better, but if you can afford them then it's worth a look.

PS - considering a new Ibanez TS9 is about $90, and the Direct Drive is similar to a TS9 but with a wider range of gain, internal trim pots, a fat switch, true bypass, and better customer service, $120 doesn't look so bad for "boutique" :rolleyes:

• Members

delay - Guyatone MD3

reverb - Digiverb or Boss RV

(although the middle position on the MD3 gives a nice reverb too)

phaser - Maxon PT999

OD - HBE Power Screamer (has a boost too)

distortion - MI Audio Crunch Box

tremolo - Boss TR2 (clip the C4 cap & make it better)

or Kaden Fluttertone

Only the HBE is above $159, all others are below $150.

• Members

Delay/Echo - Carl Martin red Repeat
I don't own a trem pedal, but when I bought the red repeat another guy was trying this through a Laney VC50 and it was quite smooth an tasty sounding http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Carl-Martin-Surf-Tremolo?sku=153123 (there was a sale here for once)

For dist/OD I'd go ebay and pickup a 2nd hand Radial ToneBone Hot British

• Members

Just remember that most of the time, cheap effects = cheap tone.

I'd recommend the PodXT if you want lots of decent effects without spending a fortune. If you go the single pedal route, I'd start off with an Electro Harmonix Big Muff and a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay.

• Members
Originally posted by Filter500

Oh, and thanks to this thread I just ordered a Guyatone flanger...

:o

I didn't like it, sold mine mint for $50.
Too in your face processed jet planey for me.
My old BF2 sounded better.

As for this thread spurring the buying of pedals...
Get out your credit card!
Pedalboard908.jpg

Archived