Mac Pro and HD Question...

• Members

I'll be having a new Mac Pro on the way shortly and am trying to get everything organized and accessible right off the bat. One of the things I was toying with was having a separate drive not only for my system and for my audio, but also for my sample libraries and maybe even partitioning that one if it would fix find/seek times. What do you guys think about that? :)

• Members

I have 4 hard drives in my mac. Just do it. It's not the pain in the ass that PC is. You can literally install a new hard drive in under 1 min. There are 4 slots, 1 being your system drive. Just yank out 2's mount (they slide load, pretty much like glyph drives) screw the 4 screws into the drive and push it in. That's all there is to it. No jumpers, no cables to think about.

Then just format the drive and your set to go. :thu:

Ideally IMO, you'd want three drives:

System drive for programs and OS

Dedicated, second drive for audio / project / session files.

Third drive for samples.

That is, IMO, the best way to do it, and helps to prevent any bandwidth bottlenecks. Oh, and don't forget some external drives for session backups! :idea:

FWIW, that's pretty much how I have my HD2 Accel system set up. :wave:

• Members

Third drive for samples.

That is, IMO, the best way to do it, and helps to prevent any bandwidth bottlenecks. Oh, and don't forget some external drives for session backups!
:idea:

FWIW, that's pretty much how I have my HD2 Accel system set up.
:wave:

+1 BRO

If you have two drives, use the second for audio + samples. The project and session files will always be in memory so put them wherever it's convenient.

Don't partition. You'll get worse seek times and probably a ton of read-head thrashing. Partitioning is almost always a bad idea.

• Members

I have 4 hard drives in my mac. Just do it. It's not the pain in the ass that PC is. You can literally install a new hard drive in under 1 min. There are 4 slots, 1 being your system drive. Just yank out 2's mount (they slide load, pretty much like glyph drives) screw the 4 screws into the drive and push it in. That's all there is to it. No jumpers, no cables to think about.

Then just format the drive and your set to go.
:thu:

HEY BRO

PC drives are a pain in the ass? :confused:

Neither platform has required jumper configuration since the Parallel ATA days (and arguably not since "Cable Select" was included).

• Members

HEY BRO

PC drives are a pain in the ass?
:confused:

Depends on the design of the desktop. Every PC I've ever owned involved removing a few screws to get inside, then removing a drive cage, then installing the drive into the cage, then connecting a ribbon cable, then reinstalling the cage and buttoning up the tower again.

The Mac Pro design is pretty elegant. The side panel comes off with the pull of a lever. The drive bays are right there on the side. You just affix the drive to a sled, and pop it in the bay, and put the side back on.

I've been told there are PCs that operate this way, too. I've just never personally seen or owned one.

• Members

Third drive for samples.

That is, IMO, the best way to do it, and helps to prevent any bandwidth bottlenecks. Oh, and don't forget some external drives for session backups!
:idea:

FWIW, that's pretty much how I have my HD2 Accel system set up.
:wave:

I was going to be rocking the new 27" iMac but I finally decided that the Mac Pro will last me longer term and not be that much more expensive. I'm taking the extra drives out of my current PC and reformatting them, so I'll be good to go on HD front... I just didn't know the best way to set I up.

The bigger issue is going to be sharing files between my home studio and my work one. I'll probably get a small, bus powered USB drive just for transferring.

• Members

Depends on the design of the desktop. Every PC I've ever owned involved removing a few screws to get inside, then removing a drive cage, then installing the drive into the cage, then connecting a ribbon cable, then reinstalling the cage and buttoning up the tower again.

The Mac Pro design is pretty elegant. The side panel comes off with the pull of a lever. The drive bays are right there on the side. You just affix the drive to a sled, and pop it in the bay, and put the side back on.

I've been told there are PCs that operate this way, too. I've just never personally seen or owned one.

HEY BRO

Again, drives haven't used ribbon cables since the PATA days. And I've never hard to remove a whole drive cage just to install a drive. :poke:

I'm not denying that the Mac design is elegant, but most PCs have made some strides in the last 7 or 8 years. My Antec Sonata case has the same drive-sled design as the Macs, and so does my parents' Dell case. I've got 5 internal drives in my computer and they each took a couple minutes to install.

Archived