books: Audio Production/ mastering

Well, for mastering, the best book that I've come across is Mastering Audio - The Art and The Science by Bob Katz.

As far as audio engineering, there's a bunch of good books available. Start with David Miles Huber's Modern Recording Techniques. Bobby Owsinski's The Mixing Engineer's Handbook is a nice practical guide too. If you need a good MIDI primer, check out Craig Anderton's MIDI For Musicians - it's still the best introduction to MIDI I've ever read. Of course, there's also a ton of books out there that are dedicated to assisting you with specific DAW applications... but engineering is a lot more than just "knowing a DAW program". :)

As far as actual production, the book pickings are much slimmer. I'd recommend Behind The Glass by Howard Massey, Make Mine Music by Bruce Swedien, and All You Need Is Ears by Sir George Martin. For whatever reason, there seems to be less out there in terms of production related books; I guess it's a bit harder subject to "cover". Howard's book is nice because it has interviews with several fantastic producers and gives you some general insight to the similarities - and differences - in their various approaches. Bruce's book has a lot of information on his work with Michael Jackson, and Sir George's book a lot on the work he did with The Beatles...

• Members

Can you tell me a bit more about "where you're at" in terms of background / experience / knowledge currently, and what specifically you'd like to learn? That will help me make better, more appropriate recommendations for you.
:)

Like, I understand a little bit of the basics.

I'm not too concerned with the engineering part as much as mixing. Obviously I don't want to be polishing a turd though. I'm guessing the best part to learn more about engineering part of it is getting basics and then working with mic position a lot.

I know my way around my DAW pretty descently though.

Not really much experience. Just kinda messing around with some soundclips that I've made. I'm not really looking to make a profession out of it (at this point anyway), but I want to be able to do better than most of the {censored} that people throw on their bands' myspaces.

• Members

Wayne Wadham's "Sound Advice: A Musician's Guide To the Recording Studio" is the best book I've ever seen on recording, primarily giving advice on the recording process, not on DAWs. It highlights creativity, and gives you all sorts of advice, even other people's advice that runs counter to his tendencies. Excellent book, strongly recommended despite it having been out of print for some time. You can easily purchase it at Amazon.com.

• Members

Well, for mastering, the best book that I've come across is Mastering Audio - The Art and The Science by Bob Katz.

As far as audio engineering, there's a bunch of good books available.
Start with David Miles Huber's Modern Recording Techniques.
Bobby Owsinski's The Mixing Engineer's Handbook is a nice practical guide too. If you need a good MIDI primer, check out Craig Anderton's MIDI For Musicians - it's still the best introduction to MIDI I've ever read. Of course, there's also a ton of books out there that are dedicated to assisting you with specific DAW applications... but engineering is a lot more than just "knowing a DAW program".
:)

As far as actual
production
, the book pickings are much slimmer. I'd recommend Behind The Glass by Howard Massey, Make Mine Music by Bruce Swedien, and All You Need Is Ears by Sir George Martin. For whatever reason, there seems to be less out there in terms of production related books; I guess it's a bit harder subject to "cover". Howard's book is nice because it has interviews with several fantastic producers and gives you some general insight to the similarities - and differences - in their various approaches. Bruce's book has a lot of information on his work with Michael Jackson, and Sir George's book a lot on the work he did with The Beatles...

I second that suggestion for the Huber & Runstein

Modern Recording Techniques: get at least the Fourth Edtion, there is a fifth, sixth and seventh by now, an incredible resource for the whole comprehensive picture in incredible detail. This book alone will make you a sound engineer, if you really use it to it's fullest potential.

Like, I understand a little bit of the basics.

I'm not too concerned with the engineering part as much as mixing. Obviously I don't want to be polishing a turd though. I'm guessing the best part to learn more about engineering part of it is getting basics and then working with mic position a lot.

I know my way around my DAW pretty descently though.

Not really much experience. Just kinda messing around with some soundclips that I've made. I'm not really looking to make a profession out of it (at this point anyway), but I want to be able to do better than most of the {censored} that people throw on their bands' myspaces.

I'd suggest you check out Owsinski's book then - it's pretty easy to follow and not overly technical - practical without being too simple OR too difficult. :)

• Members

Thanks a lot guys, I'm going to check into all of those books. I've got a couple that should be here next week already. It should work out good, because i usually have about 3 hours to burn after work before i go to bed, when i just end up looking on the For Sale forum anyway. haha.

Archived