And check THIS out - deconstructing The Beatles Helter Skelter

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/deconstructing_helter_skelter/

Paul being amazing...

xLlkV3PG3J4&feature=player_embedded

Guitars (Paul plays lead on this song)

CB0xVxtApFI&feature=player_embedded

And more guitars. Love the feedback, and the track sharing for other little things here and there:

snCOLR-bVSc&feature=player_embedded

Listen carefully to the bass part; notice how raw it is? That's John, not Paul...

QCieoJNW5lQ&feature=player_embedded

And of course Ringo being brilliant too...

XflhqGCwktM&feature=player_embedded

Fantastic stuff. I could spend hours listening to stuff like this. OTOH, it's kind of like cheating in a way. It's kind of hard to explain what I mean by that... :idk:

Anyway, it's interesting to compare and contrast this to the Gimme Shelter tracks; remember, they were both done within a year or so of each other - Helter Skelter was circa 1968, and Gimme Shelter was 1969.

I'd love to hear some thoughts about how they compare, as well as any similarities in terms of performances or sounds that anyone has noticed... and differences too. And how does this compare with modern recordings and techniques / approaches?

Impress me with your listening and musical analysis chops. :D:wave:

• Members

Fantastic stuff. I could spend hours listening to stuff like this. OTOH, it's kind of like cheating in a way.

To me it has been a wonderful learning experience. BIG thanks for posting this stuff. I'm currently listening / mixing Blitzkrieg Bop :D

• Members

Phil: Fantastic stuff. I could spend hours listening to stuff like this. OTOH, it's kind of like cheating in a way. It's kind of hard to explain what I mean by that...

If you mean you're sort of cheating yourself out of the full experience of listening to the song, I feel the same way. After listening to Gimme Shelter yesterday my first thought was that I'd like to listen to the finished mix.

However, what we do as engineers is just the opposite of this. We build the song rather than tear it down. I can say that after years of doing recordings for others that I don't listen to music the same way anymore. I immediately start dissecting the instruments in my head, listening for the bass tone, drum mix, vocal FX, etc. I have to remind myself sometimes to just listen to the song.

Similarities that I noticed the most were the overall drum sound and vocal treatment. The drums on both Gimme Shelter and Helter Skelter have that very simple two or three mic kind of sound, and the kick drum is not the overpowering monster that you hear so much nowadays.

The vocal fx are not overused on either tune as well and they sometimes aren't even there or have been turned down in the mix. This I don't think is too far removed from modern recordings. I notice that approach alot in music I like.

The biggest difference seems the approach to the whole process. The stones tune doesn't have as many extra little tidbits laced throughout, while the beatles tune has alot of seemingly random bits in there that start to make sense once you add in all the tracks.

Thing that is the most impressive about both these tunes is all the track sharing going on. We have the advantage of using as many tracks as we feel like nowadays that this little aspect of engineering is becoming somewhat of a lost art.

Thanks a bunch for sharing Phil, this has put a smile on face two days in a row now.

-Gabriel-

• 3 weeks later...

Archived