Has anyone used these headphones:

• Members

I just ordered Shure SRH 440 after talking to someone about the sound quality of the EX29's. I almost went for the Senn 280 but I was convinced that I'd like the Shures better. Hope I made the right choice!

Cool. Let us know how the Shures work out, I've never heard anything about them. Personally, I go with HD280s if I don't need the isolation from the EX29s.

• Members

I have a pair of the Shures! Quite accurate in comparison to my old HD280s - accurate enough to do pre-mixes on and not screw things up royally for yourself. Also, I have found the Shures to be a tad uncomfortable on my ears. The cups just are not deep enough to be worn for long periods of time.

I have not heard Shure's new headphones yet, so I'm definitely interested in hearing what you think once you get a chance to put them to use.

Also, just to toss another name into the discussion, did you guys know that KRK is now making headphones? I just got two pairs of them in for review, and a pair of KNS-8400's are sitting on my head playing Big Star as I type this. I have not tested their isolation yet (they quite literally just arrived less than an hour ago), but they claim it's up to 30dBA, which is quite good. And my initial reaction is - they're very nice. Quite comfortable, very detailed. Good bass. KRK definitely is jumping into the headphone making business with a very serious pair of offerings...

I have a pair of the Shures! Quite accurate in comparison to my old HD280s - accurate enough to do pre-mixes on and not screw things up royally for yourself. Also, I have found the Shures to be a tad uncomfortable on my ears. The cups just are not deep enough to be worn for long periods of time.

Which model of the Shures do you have?

Thanks for the info and post. :cool:

• Members

I use the EX29's for mic placement all the time. While I agree they are not accurate for mixing (few if any headphones are), I'm able to find excellent mic placement for drums and guitar amps with them. You can definitely find the sweet spot for mic placement based on the relative nature of the sound that comes through. Also, they're a huge bang for the buck! It's better to have and use them sooner rather than waiting to save for more expensive isolation headphones.

groovezilla

www.groovezoo.com

• Members

So I got the Shure 440's. They sound great for tracking, BUT they just don't isolate enough (for me). My main vocal mics can definitely hear the bleed. Maybe I'm looking for too much in this lower price range ($100), but they're better than what I was using. Anyway, there's my 2cents. I ordered the EX 29's this afternoon, ugh.

• Members

Fwiw, when tracking drums, I give the drummer IEMs (shures, because they have the best isolating inserts I've yet found; those tripple flange ones) and then have him put industrial ear defenders over that as well. Having tested it: A: its not terribly comfortable, but otoh, they're drummers, and B: its freakish near-deaf amounts of isolation.

• Members

So I just got the EX29s in the mail. They don't have the best sound quality, but man do they isolate. I didn't get any click track bleed when tracking drums or music bleed when tracking vocals. That's just what I was looking for.

Archived