RIP James Murray - friend and producer / engineer extrordinare.

If you knew James, then you know what a cool guy he was. I was devastated to hear of his passing at age 41 - WAY too young. :(

I heard about this over the weekend, but forgot to to post it here until now. There's going to be a celebration of James' life held tomorrow evening at Glenwood Studios in Burbank. A note I got from James' brother and mom today reminded me I needed to post this up here:

This email is being sent out by James' brother Steve to all of the people in James' contact list. For those of you do not already know, James was killed in a motorcycle accident on Friday morning. We are currently in LA attending to his things and wanted to reach out and thank each and every person who has touched the life of James over the years.

A gmail account has been set up for James mom under this address. It will not be checked often, but it will be checked. (patburg2011 at gmail dot com)

There will be a celebration of the life of James Murray held at Glenwood Studios on Thursday beginning around 6pm. Food and drinks will be provided. Please RSVP to 818-260-9555 or email to kit@glenwoodstudios.com.

Donations to H.E.A.R. would be appreciated. Their web address is http://www.hearnet.com.

Flowers can be sent to the Glenwood Studios directly at

619 S Glenwood Place

Burbank, CA 91506

Passing along a final note from my mother, she asks that you all take a moment to call your mother, father, son or daughter and say hi or if they are close, give them an extra hug today.

Thank you

Steve Murray

Pat Burg

Yeah, cherish those you hold dear, and let them know you do - you don't know when they might be gone. :(

Check out his Facebook page and read some of the comments, or leave one of your own.

Here's a video of James being interviewed by Dave Pensado (James comes in at around 41:30 in the "Batter's Box" segment); going over some of his favorite mikes and EQs for specific instruments, and tosses in some parallel compression suggestions, etc.

[video=youtube;A37DW7o44wc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37DW7o44wc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37DW7o44wc&feature=player_embedded

That's the kind of guy James was. As you might expect, I sometimes get calls and emails from people asking me about gear, or how to do this or that in Pro Tools - whenever *I* had a question on something and wanted good advice, James was one of the first guys I'd call. Whether it was about a problem, a technique, or a Pro Tools tip, James was always happy to hear from you, and always eager to share valuable insights. Definitely a big "pay it forward" kind of guy, with a huge heart and great sense of humor.

RIP James. You left us far to early, and you'll definitely be missed. :cry:

Archived