This week's recording / effects article - (frequency) split personality

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-2154

Sometimes you only want to apply the effect to part of the frequency spectrum, and not to the entire sound. Here's a few ways you can do that in your DAW recordings.

Why would that be useful? Sometimes adding dirt to the entire bass signal can make the bottom of the bass flab up or cancel out... adding dirt only to the mids and highs gives you the best of both - the solid bottom and the distortion effect. It can work great with lots of other things besides bass... guitars, vocals... all kinds of stuff. Give it a try - I think you may find it to be a useful technique. :wave:

• Members

Being able to copy tracks leads to much, maybe too much experimentation which was not possible a few years ago. But it's all good. We used to have to think ahead more, since recording especially audio was so limited to maybe 24 tracks before generational loss. I laugh since 24 tracks was then, but not now, a benchmark. Now can have 10 tracks of divided EQ for just the handclaps.

A well performed and recorded catchy song with a few of your suggestions if needed.

• Moderators

Great article, Phil. Really cool idea with the 2 opposite steep filters.

BTW, if you haven't tried your OCD (Fulltone overdrive pedal) on bass, you should! It turned my DI tone into something akin to a Ampeg Portaflex tone. I didn't do the crossover trick and will try that next time. But as a side note, that OCD sorta tightens up the low end rather that cutting it.

Here's a songwriting work in progress that uses a Jazz bass, straight into an OCD then API DI.

[video=youtube;JO2Yqcy6Tzs]

Archived