Les Paul Classic?

rog951

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up a used LP Classic from a local store. Looks really nice but then I got to thinking "why is it so cheap?" :confused: It's selling for around $1200 wheras LP Standards of similar vintage are selling used closer to $1600+. WTF? What are the differences between regular ol' Standards and Classics?

• Members

Originally posted by rog951

What are the differences between regular ol' Standards and Classics?

Not much.

The Classic has the "aged" inlay, which most of us just call yellow (the earliest ones were green, which was just as bad, I believe some in-between years saw more natural inlay). It also has hotter ceramic-magnet pickups. And the neck is only available in the '60 slim-taper profile, which is thin and falt around the nut and tapers out to being thicker and a little rounder by the 10th fret or so (the Standard is available in both slim-taper or a more traditional round back profile).

The Classic has always been the red-headed stepchild in the line-up. Originally released & marketed in the early '90's as a more affordable option to the Standard in a more rockin' "Led Zep"-esque style (which I think they missed), the Classic has bounced back and forth across numerous price-ranges and options through the years, Gibson never seemed to figure out its spot in the line-up, and various closeouts and repricing structures had often seen the Classic (even the fancy Classic Plus) being blown out at $1200 or so in the past. This price instability carried over to the second-hand market. Many dealers price according to the current street price, some price lower. I think $1200 is a fair deal, but I won't spend any more than that. if you look around, you can find Standards used in the $1200-1300 range.

• Members

I had two Classics but I sold one recently for a little over $1200. That seemed to be the going rate when I was researching my pricing. The guitar was mint.

I like the Classic and intend to keep the one I still have. Some people don't like the pickups and hate the inlays. I like the pickups and don't care about the inlays.

• Members

A couple of reasons:

1. The snot-colored inlays.

2. The high-output, ceramic-magnet pickups. Most LP guys prefer the alnico-magnet, PAF-style pickups.

3. I believe that the LP Classics started using 2-piece backs a few years before they started putting them on the LP Standards.

4. The LP Classic only comes with the slim-taper '60's neck. A lot of LP guys like the fatter, '50's neck. Some (not all) of the LP guys are of the belief that "fat neck=fat tone".

5. The LP Classic changed in the mid-'90's after Gibson discovered that a lot of unethical dealers were changing a few things on these and selling them as Reissues when in fact they were not. One of these changes (among others) were the snot-green inlays.

• Members

Thanks for all the great replies! I'm still kinda undecided on this thing. I actually tend to prefer the feel of the '60s necks, but I do like alnicos in a LP. Easy enough to change the p/u I guess, but another project is not something I'm too gung-ho about right now.

The other big reason I'm thinking of passing on this particular guitar is the plain top. It's a cherry burst, which I like fine, but my ideal LP would have a hint of flame. Something like a AA top I think, and I also think I'd slightly prefer an iced-tea burst. I already have an '80 LP standard in wine red, so it's not like I NEED this guitar now. I'm really kinda on a quest for my "ideal LP", and I plan to sell my '80 once I find THE guitar, to help re-coup some of the cost.

Thanks again and lemme know if you're selling a AA top iced-tea burst! ;)

• Members

I just bought my Classic on EBAY about three weeks ago after playing one in a local music store. The one I had originally played I had the guy quote me 1150 w/ OHSC. It was a honey burst but had some permanent marker writing on the back of it.

I personally love everything about the Classic. Slim neck, very hot pickups(which I will probably opt for Burstbuckers or PAF pickups one day), very nice finish, and not as heavy as the standard. Also did not break my wallet as bad as a Standard would have.

I personally recommend the Classic, i think its one of Gibson's most overlooked LPs.

• Members

Les Paul Classic prior to Oct 1993 had Les Paul Model stenciled on the headstock and narrow binding in the cutaway. Those Classics didn't have any puke green or piss yellow inlays.
Rumour has it that some Classics were sold as 1960 special run off Les Pauls by changing the truss rod cover to a blank one.
1990 to late 1993 are the years to get.

My 1992 Les Paul Classic Plus's..........

classiclpsmarshall.jpg

• Members

Well, maybe I'll give the place a low-ball offer and see if they bite. This particular guitar has "1960" on the pickguard in the area between the pickups. Is that any kind of clue? I'll get the s/n tomorrow to determine the year.

• Members

Has anybody seen either of these 2 NEW Classic models? Not sure I like the stark white inlays on the Custom. But I'm really looking forward to the Antique with its AA flametop, etc.

Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Classics/Les%20Paul%20Classic%20Custom/

Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Classics/Les%20Paul%20Classic%20Antique/

• Members

Originally posted by mmcquain

Has anybody seen either of these 2 NEW Classic models? Not sure I like the stark white inlays on the Custom. But I'm really looking forward to the Antique with its AA flametop, etc.

Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom:

Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique:

omfg

that custom is almost EXACTLY what I would do if I had Gibson custom build me a LP

• Members

I got a minty '97 LP Classic a year ago for $750 w/ohsc. For that kind of money it was a no brainer. I thought I'd wanna change pickups, but I have the 490/496 alnicos in a Les Paul Studio DC already anyhow, so the ceramics stayed.

BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

The inlays are not that different looking than the naturally aged ones in my Ric:

64539001_080e6623cd.jpg

64187964_178d5e6b9c.jpg

BK

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul
omfg that custom is almost EXACTLY what I would do if I had Gibson custom build me a LP

The Custom is nice (but I think the inlays are TOO white for the rest of the look). But I'm thinking the Antique model might make a nice addition to my stable. Hopefully the inlays in it aren't the ugly green ones of other recent Classics.

• Members
Originally posted by mmcquain

The Custom is nice (but I think the inlays are TOO white for the rest of the look). But I'm thinking the Antique model might make a nice addition to my stable. Hopefully the inlays in it aren't the ugly green ones of other recent Classics.

they would age Im sure.

Dont forget, the ugly green inlays on the classics can be turned grey with exposure to light. Just be careful if youre going to do this. Because with light there is heat, and that can be bad. Plus if you arent trying to "age" the finish of your guitar, you will need to cover it up.

Plus Ive actually seen a few recent classics that didnt have green inlays. Probably a mistake on Gibsons part Im sure ;)

• Members
Originally posted by *Dean*Medlock*

Personally, I think they'd sell better if they didn't have the snot-green inlays and offered a choice of neck profiles.

It's like the extra little bits of binding on the Custom, though, isn't it - Gibson need to leave some difference in order to justify the big price hike to the Standard...... or am i just being overly cynical?? ;)

Archived